• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

ESP Cyclone - home for wayward gazelle throwers

I got to play with my light blue 169g ESP Cyclone today. In short, I'm lovin' it!
I could make some great low controlled tunnel shots right off the bat. As I got the feel for it I could make lots of throws that required finesse and control. The plastic is very good-- not Opto good, but certainly very durable and good to the touch. My daughter noticed I seem to be landing the throws where I wanted. It was good to get confirmation of my gut reaction. Now I need another!

I picked one of these up in an order this weekend for a friend who just started. Can't wait to try it in ESP as I hated the Z version. Just when I think my control drivers are set....Cyclone, trident, EX, QJLS, CE JLS!!!! The choices!

Is ESP the best choice when choosing a cyclone or do the other plastic options have advantages. I throw gazelles but would prefer to use a disc that has not been discontinued. Any feedback on cyclones in different plastic would be very helpfull.

mattw said:
Is ESP the best choice when choosing a cyclone or do the other plastic options have advantages. I throw gazelles but would prefer to use a disc that has not been discontinued. Any feedback on cyclones in different plastic would be very helpfull.

I haven't tossed anything, but a Z Cyclone and I hated it. A lot of folks and even Discraft says the mold in Z is a little different. Supposedly the ESP is amazing and true to what the D and X are like.

I met up with mark12b not long ago and threw a couple of his TP Cyclones. I only got a couple throws in with them, but I'd say the ESP flies very similarly. The (flat top) ESP seems more LSS, but otherwise they flew largely the same from what I could tell. (Those TP's are sweet though, definitely feel great in the hand. Makes me want that softer ESP blend all the more.)

some call me...tim? said:
I met up with mark12b not long ago and threw a couple of his TP Cyclones. I only got a couple throws in with them, but I'd say the ESP flies very similarly. The (flat top) ESP seems more LSS, but otherwise they flew largely the same from what I could tell. (Those TP's are sweet though, definitely feel great in the hand. Makes me want that softer ESP blend all the more.)

then the next day i lost one :cry: ...missed the mando on #4 and saw it go in the long grass near #2 pad, but couldn't find it.

the tp cyclones tim threw were broken-in a bit, and were starting to lose their lss. i imagine an esp would break in similarly.

Just a follow-up. My ESP Cyclone is still kicking ass, its lost its initial box-stability(although its still plenty beefy) and I'm really starting to dig it even more. (For my power) it flies like a slightly slower TB. But it has plenty of glide so I can achieve similar distance.

In my opinion, yes - initially anyway. I've only been throwing it for about two weeks and I haven't got a ton of golf in with it.

Mines 175g too, I think I'm going to pick up a lighter one(mid-high 160s) and start ripping that instead, and start a cycle.

I'm bumping this thread up because I've done a little testing....

I finally got ahold of 3 new TP Cyclones @ 172g, 174g, 175g (thanks Frank Delicious). I also have 2 ESP Cyclones @ 174g and 175g both domey, and 3 Pro D Cyclones @ 167g (flat and beat), 174g (domey and beat) and 176g (domey and fresh).

There was a question early on about whether the ESP Cylones have that coveted TP flight. From my comparison (~100 throws), the answer is yes. The TP Cyclones and the ESP Cyclones were landing within 10 feet of each other. Very similar HSS and LSS. The glide on the ESP Cyclones were just as good as the TP ones. I have an orange ESP that is slightly flatter than the TPs and my super domey green ESP. That orange one isn't quite as easy to power up.

The biggest difference is that the Pro D are way flippy compared to the ESP and TP. Especially the flat one. Anyway, I'm loving these discs because they fly like a driver and I can throw them like a midrange. So easy to get these up to cruising speed. They have really helped my standstill game.

I guess I'm probably not giving anyone who's thrown the ESP any new information here. But for those who haven't, you're missing out!

Has anyone really beaten one in yet? I've been throwing mine and its still very stable. Really looking forward to seeing it beat in.

Banzai said:
There was a question early on about whether the ESP Cylones have that coveted TP flight. From my comparison (~100 throws), the answer is yes. The TP Cyclones and the ESP Cyclones were landing within 10 feet of each other.

I put a TP back in the bag today, after reading this. I just want to confirm. The ESPs are going just as far on the same lines as the TPs?

cmlasley said:
Banzai said:
There was a question early on about whether the ESP Cylones have that coveted TP flight. From my comparison (~100 throws), the answer is yes. The TP Cyclones and the ESP Cyclones were landing within 10 feet of each other.

I put a TP back in the bag today, after reading this. I just want to confirm. The ESPs are going just as far on the same lines as the TPs?

Yes, for me. The TPs are brand new, and the ESP is a little worn now. I suspect the TPs will be longer after they wear a bit.

Latest posts