• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

First form check!

That bull is tossing you around like a rag doll as you rotate with the shift, instead of counter rotating.

2 step da - you are way too open and going over top. Shoulders/chest should remain closed to target. Hammer should pull arm/shoulders inline directly to target.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 2 step da open vs closed.jpg
    2 step da open vs closed.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 102
That bull is tossing you around like a rag doll as you rotate with the shift, instead of counter rotating.

2 step da - you are way too open and going over top. Shoulders/chest should remain closed to target. Hammer should pull arm/shoulders inline directly to target.

attachment.php

Thanks man.

New small shift RtB after trying to fix counter rotation. I had to exaggerate that a bit to find and reinforce it. This feels much more like figure 8, two way can crush, and like walking fwiw.

Followed by new 2 step da more closed.

I keep finding bits of this axis issue in the moves. Sometimes it looks and feels subtle but it's there.

Here I worked on a couple of the RtB moves that seem to isolate the lateral part of the move the most and worked on those. I did more of the Figure 8 RtB which I think still has a little axis confusion, but reinforces the fluid counterrotation. Maybe that will get better with the lateral shift drills.

Also did more 2 step da this time letting my dingle arm swing more relaxed now. My body seems better braced by my legs.

Continue? Adjust?

Looks like I was overcooking the RtB moves while focused on the counterrotation and going over the top again. These turbo encabulator moves are making it increasingly clear where parts of my weight shift were ****ed. They keep revealing why I was having trouble keeping my hips closed, coming over the top, etc.

Tried again. Trending any better? If so I will work on tightening it up and consistently landing on top in leverage & taking the shifts progressively larger like you/Drew.

New 2 step DA from this AM again letting dingle arm swing out from shoulder. I think I should keep working on this to keep working out all these weird rotation kinks & it might also help with "skiing".

rOWRmA4.png

I saw/felt a huge swing change this morning.

Swings
I added the little RtB shift w/ counter rotation to my preshot routine. My hips look way more closed, I tend to land and stay more compressed, and everything looks and feels more compact. I feel way more grounded/braced in the swing. The landing feels more like when I land a clean high-power OLD*. The shifts and footwork in particular got more compact on their own. I think a combination of isolating the lateral part + syncing it with upper body counterrotation is starting to work. I tested some throws without the counterrotation in the pre-shot routine rock/shift and 100% of them made me swing over the top!

I think I can keep getting more in sync and grounded here:

Drills
Here were the most recent drills, similar enough to today.

RtB

2 step DA letting dingle arm swing out from shoulder. I think I should keep working on this to keep working out all these weird rotation kinks & it might also help with "skiing".

rOWRmA4.png

I started doing the sideways booty run in both directions this AM b/c I figured it was good for my overall coordination and balance.

*I also found that my grip had drifted a little out of leverage in this drill so I'm working on that and putting some focus on the landing there.

You appear to be in a more quad dominant position and spine extended so your shoulders are behind your knees/hips. You would get creamed trying play tackle football in that position. Need to hinge more from the hips so your chest is forward and shoulders hanging more forward over knees and hips like baseball player getting ready to field ground ball/snow shovel. That hinge should increase into the shift/crush/shovel. Since your spine is extended, your shoulders/chest are open while mine are closed to target. It will help to hold something in front of your chest so get into more cobra posture instead of funky chicken. Hug your trash can or something.

I think the double crush might help more than some other drills.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-01-20 at 2.26.06 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2023-01-20 at 2.26.06 AM.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 65
You appear to be in a more quad dominant position and spine extended so your shoulders are behind your knees/hips. You would get creamed trying play tackle football in that position. Need to hinge more from the hips so your chest is forward and shoulders hanging more forward over knees and hips like baseball player getting ready to field ground ball/snow shovel. That hinge should increase into the shift/crush/shovel. Since your spine is extended, your shoulders/chest are open while mine are closed to target. It will help to hold something in front of your chest so get into more cobra posture instead of funky chicken. Hug your trash can or something.

attachment.php

Thanks man. I could tell my posture felt awkward. Wrestling posture (but less extreme) also comes to mind. When you are in that stance properly you probably feel a lot more load deep in your butt and your hammies in the setup, yes?

If so, that is where I am the most sore so I will wait a couple days then come at it fresh.

Will post that with the double crush next.

TY TY TY TY

Made progress. RtB is still the hardest move. Any version of RtB seems to be taxing muscles that haven't been used regularly and need some conditioning.

RtB: I did not play much football growing up, but I did literally hug a trashcan, got in a fielder position, moved around in a wrestling posture, etc. When I started moving sideways I still had trouble. Then, I think there was some progress when I made the move feel more like speed rollerblading shifting back and forth:

Double crush: Minded posture here too. It took a few tries to get shifting and crushing close to equally well each way. This helped me feel some weak spots in my leg leverage:

Felt it out in some throws after the above. Booty preset/running start seem permanent & reliable now. Posture & drills already having a clearly big effect:

Double Crush you seem to be doing it backwards crushing front foot then rear foot. When you get ready to crush the front foot, you are way over-turned back on rear leg. I think you are compensating for the incorrect turning direction by trying to turn further back and hoping to still be closed but you are opening up.

RTB Note how you are turning open before you shift pressure and end up in a quad dominant position and tipping over front leg vs closed and hammy/glute dominant position staying braced inside posture.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-01-23 at 5.27.52 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2023-01-23 at 5.27.52 PM.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 50
Double Crush you seem to be doing it backwards crushing front foot then rear foot. When you get ready to crush the front foot, you are way over-turned back on rear leg. I think you are compensating for the incorrect turning direction by trying to turn further back and hoping to still be closed but you are opening up.

RTB Note how you are turning open before you shift pressure and end up in a quad dominant position and tipping over front leg vs closed and hammy/glute dominant position staying braced inside posture.

New double crush (0:00) & RtB* (0:06). It feels easier to move in both of these now w/ a figure 8 but let's see.

This time I focused on setting my posture, then sought the correct/counterrotation.

I threw out the "rollerblading" swing thought in RtB and just searched for what seemed in common between Double crush and RtB instead.

*Foot release and follow through in RtB in the swing was not conscious, I think it just came out naturally. I can probably stop that if desired.

Last edited:

Can I show you one more RtB thing? I can tell my RtB shift into the landing to swing is still a little funky. Maybe I was overcooking the counterrotation part a little this morning while trying to learn it but I'm unsure.

Here are a few more RtB moves playing with more or less counterrotation vs. lateral shift. Keep playing with this?

Previous looked better.

Latest looks awfully flat footed. You start with too much knee bend. Need more plantar flexion.

Ok, if you agree I think new plan could be to work on mastering double crush/RtB w/ natural bob & weave for at least a week and then see where we're at. I'll check drills again here in a few days to make sure I don't drift astray.

In a live throw I can see & now feel that my plant really wants to land much more "quad dominant" than in the drills from this morning. Based on how the best RtB drill feels, my glute/hamstring chain is also physically weaker & tires more quickly than my quads, which explains part of why my posture likes to creep up into the wrong place. So hopefully a combo of conditioning the muscles with RtB & changing the fundamental motion pattern helps break through a bit.

Thanks man :D

My legs are pretty fresh and the swings suddenly came out very different today. I want to check if my body is starting to get what RtB/double crush is teaching or if it just got worse if that's ok. Seems like I'm getting way more swing power moving at low speed again*.

Do these look more (1) closed/shift from behind into the plant and (2) less quad-dominant in the plant to you?

I think I'm still coming in over the top a bit and not shifting great off the rear side. I'm content to keep drilling RtB and Double crush for a while if that still makes sense since I can tell my balance/tempo/sync is completely changing.

* I also experimented with grips and switched back to 3 or 4 finger power grip for my fairways/drivers. I maintain much better leverage.

Nope. I don't know why you are starting an x-step with a squat/quad dom.

Sorry man. Profound body confusion as usual. The only way I've ever learned to consciously change loading is in a barbell squat, where you can bias the load to be more anterior/quad loaded or posterior/glute/hammy loaded. I found it harder to tell the difference standing tall last week (I don't disagree that being that deep in the squat stance is still pretty quad-dominant!).

In any case, I got rid of it. I'd like to sort this out now so I make sure I'm actually connecting the drills & swings.

Stand up relaxed.

I backed up and continued to do RtB in a more tall & relaxed athletic/trashcan hugging posture, and then tried a few slow swings again from the new setup posture. It feels like I'm more glute loaded in RtB and initial move here (like fielding grounders, which I have done a bit before) but let's see.

Here's RtB then 3x slow swings. I think the 1st throw came out too "quaddy". Maybe the 2nd & 3rd swings looked a little better in that respect but I'm not 100% sure:

*On closer inspection I think the 2nd throw looked the best. 1 and 3 are too "quaddy". The plant knee action when I land is a tell. If it comes more West/toward the camera when it lands it's too quaddy. When it lands and then heads East/away from the camera it's more glute/hammy. But please let me know if I'm seeing it/drilling wrong! Thanks :)

Last edited:
Stop bending your knees before you start motion. Stand up relaxed.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-01-30 at 5.38.50 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2023-01-30 at 5.38.50 PM.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 37
Stop bending your knees before you start motion. Stand up relaxed.

attachment.php

I spent a long time on this and then trying to find RtB/center balance/not tipping over. I also needed to clean up my backswing heave and rear arm leverage again. This is where I ended before I got tired:

????

#lostinformland?