• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] From hype to horror-DON'T POST A GROOVE THREAD UNTIL YOU READ THIS!

Do you hate the groove

• YES(Always)

Votes: 221 52.7%
  • NO(Never)

Votes: 138 32.9%
  • SOMETIMES(When it doesnt do what you want it to...but you still throw it)

Votes: 60 14.3%

• Total voters
I am bothered by those who use a groove well. I have thrown it, and it just never felt like anything special. If anything, it was understable for the size rim it has.

I guess it is only fair to say that I am more bothered by someone who can use the monarch productively. I see videos, talk to people, and read posts but no one is raving to pick up one of these innova marketing tools.

The only Groove I've ever thrown was overstable with poor glide. Apparently, good ones exist but I feel no need to search for them.

i have a cfr groove. dont throw it much but its not a terrible disc. id rather just throw a valk

Hmmmm is it the nose angle or the stability hmmmmm

I can't control it either but I have the same issue with the SL maybe some molds r just finnicky

I have/had three Grooves and I have not had any catastrophic problems with them, I just have better discs for what the Groove was supposed to do. Thus I do not hate the Groove.

As for the SL, wow, that was one disc I could never figure out. It either hyzerflipped and immediately shot up into the air and coasted at an altitude of 20 feet, or it flipped over and burned into the ground at less than 200 feet.

If the Groove acted like how the SL flew for me, I can perfectly understable all the venomous hatred for it.

I guess it is only fair to say that I am more bothered by someone who can use the monarch productively. I see videos, talk to people, and read posts but no one is raving to pick up one of these innova marketing tools.

I loved the Monarch and used it quite effectively for long shots that slowly tracked to the right. Then the Champion Katana came out which basically did the same shot for me but for more distance.

Then for whatever reason I started doing one of two things in place of that shot. Either I force a Firebird into a hard anhyzer to make that initial turn and then use its stability to land flat, or I take a River and power down and just let it float/ glide right. I actually tried going back to the Monarch for a round a month ago. Yuck, it is definitely going to take some practice to get it back to where it was. I thought it was a great disc but with the success I have been having with the Firebird and River (and with them being able to do other shots as well), I am not sure it is worth the investment to relearn how to throw the Monarch.

I am not letting them go though. Then can work effectively once you zero in on what it does best.

The Monarch is the first modern disc I started throwing when I came back to the game after many years away. Great on slow to medium speed tunnel shots. Take enough off it and it will fly low and straight for a while, then hang a hard, skipping left at the end -- can be very handy. At higher speeds, it's good for low-ceiling S-curves. At the highest speed, though, I can't do anything with it and it just crashes and burns for me. I'm finding more consistent discs and throwing the Monarch less now.

All discs are wonderful...all throwers are not

^This. If there's one thing I've learned in my very brief time playing so far it's that you have to go with what works for you. Back in my teenage years, I used to be one of those kids who would go to baseball camp, learn the proper stance and grip, etc, then correct everybody around me who was doing it "wrong."

Well, let's just say that when it comes to disc golf and one considers all of the different grips and ways to just make it to the basket, the bottom line seems to be--is it working? The same is true of the groove, and any other disc--what may not work for you works great for somebody else.

P.S. The hating some are engaging in toward the groove is the same way I am tempted to feel toward archangels. I had one and the plastic was junk, I just couldn't get it to do what I wanted...but for others it may work great, so who am I to get in their way?

Different discs for different dudes.

SELFESTEEM-297x291.jpg

The problem with the groove is the double whammy of inconsistent runs (I had one that was more overstable than my Star Xcal) and the fact that it's speed 13 so 95% of DG'ers can't throw it properly anyway.

Even if someone buys a "great Groove" (pause for laughter...chuckles dying down...ok) they likely can find a speed 9-10 disc that fills the same spot in the bag but is more controllable and accurate.

Innova Champion Groove

I have read a couple pretty specific opinions about the groove on here... not too favorable.

What is everyone's opinion? I just wanted to get a general consensus. Please.... discuss:popcorn::D:popcorn:

^speaks the truth. i still mention your name to people when we're talking about aces.

"oh yeah, this dude, Brall, has a groove-ace. top that."