• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] ID a disc or ask "What is the story on this disc...?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMG_20120925_214317.jpg

IMG_20120925_214334.jpg

a few more shots of the rim..

But he said it was definitely not the same wing as a Moray, and the Moray and Stingray had the same wing. And the same top. And the same core. The Moray has a blunter nose that makes it fly more stable, but other than that it's the same exact disc as a Stingray.

But he said it was definitely not the same wing as a Moray, and the Moray and Stingray had the same wing. And the same top. And the same core. The Moray has a blunter nose that makes it fly more stable, but other than that it's the same exact disc as a Stingray.

well, it is a smaller wing without such a large lip.. basically the same lip except smaller and less dramatic

Last edited:
P1020145.jpg
(moray)

vs.

IMG_20120925_214317.jpg
(stingray?)
I'm not really trying to argue since I can't tell what you have from the pictures, but I want to clarify that the angle you showed here will not show the difference between a Stingray and Moray. They have the same wing and core so they look the same from that angle. They have the same top so they look the same from a top down angle. The only difference is the nose. If you go profile to profile, the Moray nose is blunter. Otherwise, they are the same. Put your disc nose to nose with a Stingray and look below the parting line. On a Stingray the wing comes up almost to the parting line. On a Moray the nose is blunter and there is more plastic between where the wing starts and the parting line.

The stats on the approved disc list bear this out. The Moray is .1cm taller and the rim is .1cm deeper than a Stingray. The rest of the numbers are the same. The only difference between the two discs is that .1cm added to the nose.

The reason I bring it up is that the discs are so similar that a lot of people mistake the star stamp Morays for star stamped Stingrays. It is really easy to do, and I've seen it done a lot. Hopefully yours is a Stingray, because that would be cooler to have.

First off, I'm grateful for any information I can get from everyone here and I completely understand. I am not trying to argue either, just trying to get a definitive answer from only a few pictures and forum posts witch is difficult with such an old disc and its similarities to the moray.

Does the approved disc list give the dimensions for the old model disc or the newer updated model because it sounds like there were a lot of changes to the stingray over the years. If it is correct, then I will measure it and that should be one way to tell.

could the stamp on top be an indicator of witch model it is? not the actual stamp itself, but how the stamp was applied?

is there anywhere I may be able to find a profile pic of the moray? I've been looking around and can't find one..

ELtH5h.jpg

from google.

your disc doesn't appear as blunt as the Moray. You may have a Stingray but it does not resemble the current runs.

EDIT: full disclosure of image source: http://imgur.com/a/bgERj

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts