• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova G Star?

Ahhhh yeah I've been looking there, but I don't want max weight and that's all I can seem to find.

With the g* tb, I found that I like the max weight. They are already less stable than champ or regular star, 159-165 seems way too light in my opinion. Unless you want them to fly like a tl after a little wear. The max weight for me fly almost like a dx tb right out the gate, with barely any fade if I throw as hard as I can. I don't think I would like the flight as much if it was flippier.

Also, I think the destroyers are definitely more firm than the Teebirds. But I've only been able to get my hands on a few destroyers. But have seen about 20 gstars (maybe the rim on the destroyer makes it stiffer????)

A couple more things I noticed was that different colors seemed gummier, I think the red has a gummier feel than the green and the blue. The red also seemed a bit flatter than the others. The greens almost seemed kind of domey campared to the red and blue. Like the difference between a pre flight numbers 12x and a newer 12x tb. There isn't a huge difference....but enough to notice if you put them side by side.

I think this gstar plastic will be awesome for the mamba and leopard molds, for people who don't want to wait for their champ or star plastic to break in to that sweet spot. I think my teebird is like a seasoned champ teebird, like the work is already done. A few of my buddies are happy to see the mamba even MORE understable brand new.

More like 165, give or take a couple grams. But the light ones from hero disc are tempting.

I have two that came out like pancakes from there. Very happy, but I'm very used to 150 class discs. My workhorse has been a 157 11x kcpro for the past few years. I don't want to comment on flight until the summer comes. I throw only standstills in winter and would never throw my 11x in the snow being that it is a pearly white, lol

How's the gumminess on those ones? Also what's shipping run from there?

My buddy has 3-4 of the octopus stamped ones, he showed them to me yesterday, and they seem just as gummy as the red, blue and green ones I've seen. The sparkle was really nice too.

But I have heard that somebody on here was going to get one, but when they got to the checkout part where it said how much shipping was, he backed out because it was ridiculous. I'm not sure if he mentioned how much though.

Keep in mind with the g* plastic too, that in the summer they might get even softer and flippier. So maybe the 150 class would be nice in winter, but there is a chance they might be a whole new disc in the blazing heat of summer.

How's the gumminess on those ones? Also what's shipping run from there?

the shipping is outrageous. 4 discs 14 dollars. I would say gummy, but not as gummy as my gstar Leos by any means. I agree with Romans that in heat, these might get fairly floppy, but my experience thus far with stability has been pretty different simply because of how flat mine were. So take that as you will. I have no idea how others came out from there either.

Thanks guys. Just bit on one of the Hero Disc Gstar Teebirds. With shipping it ended up being $25, which is what I'd pay on here or EBay anyway. Excited to see how it flies!

InnovaStore just confirmed their Foxbats are indeed GStar plastic. The reason why it has a regular Star stamp is that the plastic didn't have a name when these Foxbats were produced. Now it seems to make sense if you run across Foxbats in both regular and GStar.
Can you point me to where? Tried looking but couldn't find anything.

Makes sense but I can see A LOT of confusion in the next few months regarding them. Like I said, I have two and one is clearly not regular star.

Differences

Got a G* Krait today, it has a lower profile than the Champ Krait I throw. I'm interested to see what the flight differences will be. I know there are differences from run to run between discs. However, most kraits I have seen are very similar with little to no difference while I could instantly tell with the G*. Plus side is it is very gummy and grippy

Why did they make a GStar Skeeter?

sgamerp, My best guess is these discs probably for the plastic blend best fit there flight ratings. Some discs(Tern for example) fly differently in different plastic molds, so these discs probably stayed truest to how they're supposed to fly.

Got these bad boys today super gummy but not anything to crazy.can't wait to test them out tomorrow. Its supposed to be like regular star plastic in the cold, we shall see.its supposed to snow here in Tennessee which doesn't happen that often so this will be my first round of snow golf.:D

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1392056328278.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1392056328278.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 53
  • uploadfromtaptalk1392056347037.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1392056347037.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 55
Some discs(Tern for example) fly differently in different plastic molds, so these discs probably stayed truest to how they're supposed to fly.

Most Innova discs fly different in different plastics, the Tern is just their first attempt to admit it.

This is where a mechanical throwing device would come in handy. Take 5 random discs out of a 2000 disc run batch and lauch them a few times each, tracking the flight via an optical motion capture system. Average the 5 then adjust the hot stamp's flight rating accordingly.

No one need make perfect or consistent discs, just represent any given run accurately.

This is where a mechanical throwing device would come in handy. Take 5 random discs out of a 2000 disc run batch and lauch them a few times each, tracking the flight via an optical motion capture system. Average the 5 then adjust the hot stamp's flight rating accordingly.

No one need make perfect or consistent discs, just represent any given run accurately.

To what end? We still buy the discs. If I am a manufacturer, do I really want to invest that kind of money into fixing system that is going to naturally vary based on arm speed and throwing style anyway? It may satisfy the forum nerds, but Average Joe Disc Golfer who walks into a sporting goods store and buys a disc isn't going to care much one way or another.

Assuming a machine is too much of an investment, it would only take the consensus of a few good players to do the same. Joe's Flight Chart attempts this very thing but doesn't distinguish between plastics. It seems to favor the highest premium plastic that the disc is made in other than limited CFR runs.

Who would be the highest beneficiaries? New players who haven't honed their skills enough to rate their own discs and strive to make an accurately rated disc to fly as designed, thereby gauging their improvement more efficiently.

Assuming a machine is too much of an investment, it would only take the consensus of a few good players to do the same. Joe's Flight Chart attempts this very thing but doesn't distinguish between plastics. It seems to favor the highest premium plastic that the disc is made in other than limited CFR runs.

Who would be the highest beneficiaries? New players who haven't honed their skills enough to rate their own discs and strive to make an accurately rated disc to fly as designed, thereby gauging their improvement more efficiently.

I'll agree that they could make it work with high level players, and I am betting that's how they come to the initial numbers, anyway. Most of these manufacturers are run by folks that aren't exactly slouches in the game department.

Playing devil's advocate, though, I have this thought: While new players would benefit from more accuracy in flight numbers, it is that inaccuracy that keeps them coming back to buy and try more discs. I don't generally ascribe the the tin foil hat mentality, but if I were a business I'd be hard pressed to put in the extra energy to refine flight numbers when discs were moving out of shops at the clip they are.

Why did they make a GStar Skeeter?

My Thoughts exactly. Does anyone even throw that disc anymore? Did they ever? The thing was the most Understable POS I had ever thrown when it came out and that was when I had a weak arm. One of the worst discs I have ever thrown, but Innova seems determined to make it a winner.

Latest posts