• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Innova Katana

Anyone that has a farting lemon Startana and a first run Japan Open Protana, could you verify this for me: My black protana is way, way smaller than my startana. The diameter is a good 2-3 millimeters smaller, maybe more. Is this normal?

EDIT: My R-Protana is also smaller than the lemon, but it's still bigger than my Protana. Second Run champtana is the same size as the lemon.

Pro plastic tightens up alot more as it cools, which is why you get the domey pro destroyers, wraiths and bosses. The Pro Katanas are quite a bit domier than the champs which is gonna shrink the diameter just a bit as well.

So it seems, comparing my few pro plastic discs to their star counterparts. Though the protana makes the startana look like a large diameter disc in comparison, way smaller than my other pro discs.

5 rounds after the protana purchase, and i have to say, not impressed so far. I get better D with pro boss still, and better control, IMO a beat pro boss can work almost the same anny lines as the tana. Possibly could be a good roller, if i need to throw 250 or 300 before it turns over. Maybe ill like the champ ones or star ones more?

Has anyone here thrown the pro, star, and champ and can they give me a side by side comparison? (fwiw, i dont care about how the r pro flies, its shit)

I have a throw a Pro and a Star side by side and the Pro is a useless flipmachine where the Star tends to fly straight with a touch of fade on the end.

Just ordered an EU Team Presidents Cup Katana, should arrive tomorrow. I love ordering from Finland.

got a 171g champtana, and its exactly what i wanted, like a beat to shit champ boss, having it in the bag almost makes the pro bosses (what i was using for open d) almost obsolete

Holy... Is Echo always this domey? I have never seen anything quite like the Team EU Katana I got. The PLH is also lower than my farting lemon and second run champ, seems like this'll be a good distance disc for those calm days. Also getting a pink US Masters champtana next week, I take it that those tend to be pretty flat?

jubuttib said:
Also getting a pink US Masters champtana next week, I take it that those tend to be pretty flat?

I have a US Masters one and its certainly not domey like the Pro 1st run I have, I'd say its fairly flat.

Roc Lover said:
got a 171g champtana, and its exactly what i wanted, like a beat to shit champ boss, having it in the bag almost makes the pro bosses (what i was using for open d) almost obsolete

Little help? A Katana is 3 cm taller than a Boss, that makes it a slower disc yes?

A.Mutt said:
I have a US Masters one and its certainly not domey like the Pro 1st run I have, I'd say its fairly flat.

The 1st run Pro I have pretty much follows the curvature of the wing, and is indeed domey. The echo one on the other hand pops right up at the point where the rim ends. So I take it this is what they mean by "poppy-top"?

jubuttib said:
A.Mutt said:

The 1st run Pro I have pretty much follows the curvature of the wing, and is indeed domey. The echo one on the other hand pops right up at the point where the rim ends. So I take it this is what they mean by "poppy-top"?

I'd think so but to be honest I've never heard anyone explain what they mean they say pop-top

niuvalleycane said:
Roc Lover said:

Little help? A Katana is 3 cm taller than a Boss, that makes it a slower disc yes?

Search is down, i cant find the thread with the specs on the both of them, i have my champtana, and champ boss side by side right now, and the katana isnt taller at all, much less 3cm, maybe a typo?

A.Mutt said:
jubuttib said:
A.Mutt said:

I'd think so but to be honest I've never heard anyone explain what they mean they say pop-top

When you push down on the flightplate does it make a popping sound when you push down or when it comes back up? If so, you have a poppy top disc.

Frank Delicious said:
When you push down on the flightplate does it make a popping sound when you push down or when it comes back up? If so, you have a poppy top disc.

Ah, so that's what it means. Thanks for the clarification.

This is how I used to explain to possible traders if a champion wraith is domey or not.

"Put one thumb by the "c" in champion and the other by the "h" in wraith. If you push down and hear a pop, it is domey."

You can approximate the locations on any disc and if you hear a pop you have a domey disc. You can make the flattest disc pop if push in on the flight plate where it separates from the rim. Making the disc pop from where I suggest usually is a good way to separate flat discs from domey ones, at least on the discs I throw. It might vary from disc to disc. But this method works for me when trading for rocs, firebirds, wraiths, and bosses.

How loud should this pop be? Discs I have referred to as "flat" don't give a sound, but my domey ones give out more of a "wobble" kind of sound. I do have a D-Line MD1 @ 176g that has a very audible pop, but that is larger diameter and has a much thicker flight plate than any of my drivers.

EDIT: I tried through all my discs and found that my Pro/P-Line discs pop the loudest by far, even if they were visibly flatter than some of my DX/Champ/Star/S-Line discs. For example the 1st Run Pro Katana had a very distinct popping sound and is way, way flatter than my Presidents Cup Katana that more wobbles than pops.

Latest posts