• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Innova Katana

Tried my Startana for the first time today, it was indeed more stable than I had thought. Still bloody long compared to pretty much any other disc I have. I also tested a Japan Open Protana which has a noticeably lover parting line and was indeed much less stable. Anyone compared the normal production run Protana against the Japan Open one, how do they compare? I'm mainly interested in the parting line height and dome.

All the Pros are less stable than the Stars. Comparing Pro1 to Pro2 are just subtle differences. They're all flippy.

The gas station got in she of the masters stamp katanas. I bought 3 for some reason. They were pretty. I got a light blue with silver stamp, a tomato red with a party time stamp, and a blueberry with a gold stamp. I showed a buddy the blueberry and he offered me up some discs and cash on the spot. I took that trade. I wish I got a pic of it before I sold it. The tomato is sweet.

Picked thru the local shop, comparing with my 2nd run champtana, found merlot with a 1mm high plh and more dome (10cm wide flat top vs 12cm on the 2nd run). Yellow, bright light blue were closer to my 2nd overall.

Now I have 3 un-thrown katanas thanks to heavy snow/no ability to huk hard enough to tell if they are better/worse for me...

dgdave said:
The gas station got in she of the masters stamp katanas. I bought 3 for some reason. They were pretty. I got a light blue with silver stamp, a tomato red with a party time stamp, and a blueberry with a gold stamp. I showed a buddy the blueberry and he offered me up some discs and cash on the spot. I took that trade. I wish I got a pic of it before I sold it. The tomato is sweet.

So much for not buying any masters katanas huh?

I gave my POS katans away last night to my noodle armed friend. I hate these things, way to flippy, and the ESP ones have NO durability.

Still waiting for a 13 speed disc with a flight in-between the Katana and Nuke.

:oops: oops, meant star.

I had a lighter champ, and a heavy star. I think the fact my champ was light made it flip almost as much as the star. I like flippy in some discs, such as a avenger ss. But flippy is not what I want for max D.

ok gotcha lol

yea i have a few champs. some flat and domey. the flats flip easily like the stars but my domeys can take a forced anny or be thrown flat and track right. so the domey champs are def my favorite ,i suggest you try one if you can get your hands on one thats domey. either that or get a heavier one. all of mine are 170-173

Anther factor in my decision is I rarely get the chance to use a max d driver any way. Nearly all courses in Northern California are VERY technical, heavily wooded courses. I just don't normally have the room for a katana to fly like it should. Plus the few holes that are open, normally have a wind to deal with, thus making a katana even less useful.

The Nuke will make my bag for the few times I need to throw Max D, as it also can handle wind better.

cjskier said:
I gave my POS katans away last night to my noodle armed friend. I hate these things, way to flippy, and the ESP ones have NO durability.

Still waiting for a 13 speed disc with a flight in-between the Katana and Nuke.

You might have tried looking for a Katana with a really high parting line. And Discmania is trying to come up with a Katana type disc, a bit more stable though. If that works out it might be what you're looking for.

Wow is all i can say. I've been gaining D the last couple of months and pushing 400 and occasionaly a little over. My star katana is the easiest by far for me to get to 400+. Also i do not need any intentional OAT to make this happen. I can release it hard with either a hyzerflip or flat and this baby cruises for me. Gotta give it a little air to work itself out but its great for no wind/ tailwind situations.

One of the outdoors stores has gotten in a bunch of Champtana's. Will these be worth any $$$ (around $40-$50) in a few months or should I just not worry about buying any to save up and sell later.

JHBlader86 said:
One of the outdoors stores has gotten in a bunch of Champtana's. Will these be worth any $$$ (around $40-$50) in a few months or should I just not worry about buying any to save up and sell later.

ah, the 6 million dollar question. There's an interesting thread about short and long term collecting on the pdga boards right now.

Could I get a run down on how CFR plastic flies?

I'm asking here because my local Ice Bowl is selling CFR Katana's and I want to know how they might fly compared to other Katana's. Another point, I can't throw very far, I'd estimate around 250-275, with max at about 310, right-hand backhand. Should I even be throwing a Katana in the first place? I remember reading somewhere that the Katana would be good for weaker arms looking for more distance.

Thanks in advance.

eric25 said:

I'm asking here because my local Ice Bowl is selling CFR Katana's and I want to know how they might fly compared to other Katana's. Another point, I can't throw very far, I'd estimate around 250-275, with max at about 310, right-hand backhand. Should I even be throwing a Katana in the first place? I remember reading somewhere that the Katana would be good for weaker arms looking for more distance.

Thanks in advance.

As far as the katana goes ive only thrown the pro in a 172g. If there were a warp speed driver that a person with 275ft power could throw it would be a protana.

In my experience cfr/champ type plastic is going to be a bit more overstable than its pro counterpart, less glide (generally), more durability. From what i have read in this thread a lot of the champs are flatter, the pros are super domey, side by side with a pro boss its almost identical to the eye. Wing is only a little different at a glance, run your fingers over it, you feel a slight difference as well.

eric25 said:

Thanks in advance.

Protana might work for you, but I think you would get more consistent distance out of a mid weight DX or Star Valk at that distance.

eric25 said:

Thanks in advance.

I think we probably throw relatively close. (I haven't measured much except a couple of times throwing on a softball diamond.) I bought 4 Katanas when they hit the scene. The first three were 159 r-pro, 169 pro, and 175 champ. With each one, I seemed capable of good shots, but consistency was a big problem with them. The fourth one I got was one of the gummy test material champs from DGV at 163g. It actually gives me a somewhat consistent flight. I'm not sure how close the champ blend of the CFR's you are talking about will be to the gummy test. But heck, go ahead and buy one. If you don't like it, I am sure you will find someone willing to buy it or trade with you. My gummy test, to me, flies like my Nuke, but a little less stable and a little shorter. My problem with the test Katana is that since I got the Nuke, I don't want to throw the Katana since the Nuke is longer and more consistent.

Latest posts