• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Innova Katana

Just got back from testing my brand spanking new Team USA Presidents Cup Katana. I like the Team EU too much to actually use it so I got a USA one that I don't mind losing that much. =)

Anyway, incredible disc. Tons of glide and about the right stability for me to bomb long s-curves, and oh so easy to throw long. Damn nice disc. My feelings might chance come summer, might become a bit more flippy then due to the temperature (and the fact that I can finally throw properly), but at the moment I'm loving it.

jubuttib said:
Just got back from testing my brand spanking new Team USA Presidents Cup Katana. I like the Team EU too much to actually use it so I got a USA one that I don't mind losing that much. =)

LOL, that's o.k. You keep practicing with that Team USA Katana. Beat it up, beat it in, ding it, scrape it, muddy it for all it's worth, then when the time comes you need a go-to disc that will catapult you to a tournament win, just reach in your bag for that good ole', faithful, trusty workhorse of a Katana with the Team USA stamp on it and let her rip.
In the meantime, you leave that shiny, undefiled Team Europe Katana hangin' on the wall where it belongs lookin' pretty and all. Cause it ain't about lookin' good, it's about gettin' the job done...TEAM USA all the way! :wink:

Don't get me wrong, the Katana is very unlikely to end up in my bag anyway. I do like throwing it on the field though. =)

Edit: That, and it's from the wrong company. I'm waiting for Discmania to come up with their hyper speed driver. With my weenie arm I don't really have a need for one at the moment any way.

jubuttib said:
Don't get me wrong, the Katana is very unlikely to end up in my bag anyway. I do like throwing it on the field though. =)

Edit: That, and it's from the wrong company. I'm waiting for Discmania to come up with their hyper speed driver. With my weenie arm I don't really have a need for one at the moment any way.

You mean you're waiting for a Katana with a PD top? :wink:

If that's what it's going to be then that's fine with me. =)

Seriously though they said on facebook that they've been testing a Katana type distance driver that's a bit more stable than the Katana, knowing how Discmania works it'll probably be a Katana with a PD top or something like that. I might have to bang it on the wall a few times for it to be understable enough for me though. That or learn how to throw.

I really should try the production run Protana sometime, I've only thrown my 1st run Japan Open Pro once and almost lost it that time, so I probably wont be throwing any of my "nice" discs before summer. Luckily a friend ordered one and he owes me a disc anyways. >=)

It looks like the Team Europe Echo Startana was paced on something round and pushed down. The dome on mine ain't even it raises in the middle. You've read it here first. It's interesting to see pros sing tricks written here by ams :) My US Masters Champtana is flatter than the lemon. No way I'm throwing them here in this amount of snow. I got two Protanas to be used as cannon fodder and the first throw was a foot below the surface.

JR said:
My US Masters Champtana is flatter than the lemon.

Aw man, you got some shittanas. My echos are the two domiest discs I've seen. How heavy are your discs? Mine are 170 and 171, and Maaret said that at least the lighter ones were all very domey.

Edit: Oh yeah, the US Masters Champtana is about as flat as they come, with only my S-Hysteria being close.

Taatana :) How do you mean mine are bad? My Echo is very domey. It looks like it was intentionally domed up by stretching the fight plate up by setting the disc on a raised round object pushing down on the wings when the plastic is hot and pliable. This is super domey but the fight plate is not even. Outside the raised object the flight plate is normal but the center steepens in the rising angle of the flight plate getting higher as the center of the disc is approached. Mine weighs 170 is numbered 166/250 and was manufactured on 22/1/2010. The edge of this Echo Star fundraiser is higher than on Pro and lemon Katanas. Haven't compared to that Champ which is higher than Pro and Lemon.

I got different plastics and shapes intentionally so that I can use them in various roles and conditions so less than usual stability and more HSS is nice as well for wind beating. Obviously to a point only.

Ah sorry, I was dead tired at that point, I thought you meant that even the echo was flat. My bad. =)

And yeah, my echos also pop up right where the rim ends, very uneven dome, similar to some of my pro/p-line discs. It does give amazing glide though.
My PLHs are lower than lemon or champ PLHs though. My champs are pretty identical (2nd run JO and US Masters) and the lemon is just as high, with slightly more dome. My echos however look more like my 1st run JO Protana. Same PLH but more dome in the echos, not as stable as the lemon (haven't thrown the other ones enough yet to tell). And yeah, the Pro has a noticeably lower PLH than the champs/lemon. The R-Protana has an even lower PLH than the Pro, that might be pretty fliptastic.

I mostly bought the different 'tanas because for some reason I thought "You know what? This is the one disc I'm going to have a collection of." I've yet to try them all out properly, but I do believe they handle like at least 4 completely different discs in different plastics, which is very nice indeed.
2vi13ph.jpg

jubuttib I'm gonna have to post my wall of Katana's...your mouth will hit the floor...I'm a Katana WHORE! I will put them up probably tonight.

Tim Red Beard said:
jubuttib I'm gonna have to post my wall of Katana's...your mouth will hit the floor...I'm a Katana WHORE! I will put them up probably tonight.
I would be too if I had the cash. Too bad the 1st run champ was already sold out everywhere when I noticed them. The black champtana (the "only 123 made, win a ticket to the JO" one) pissed me off. I would have bought it in any color, except black. One black Katana is too much already, I can't throw that thing anywhere. =(

Though I'm a "one of each" collector. Multiple colors and that kind of stuff don't trigger my "gotta catch 'em all" -sense. Multiple stamps and plastics, now that's an another story altogether.

Heads up on the am worlds cfr katanas. I bought 5 of them ranging from 172-174. Put them on a digital scale and all 5 of them were 1.5-2.5 grams over what they said. Just a heads up........ I got rolled by the forum police! my bad

I did say that I was collecting the Katana, but the AM Worlds looks so awful I can't bring myself to buy it. It's just horrid.

What plastic you would throw the Katana in for a Max D (when new)/Turnover D (when seasoned) slot if they all had about 1 notch more HSS than you're used to? Call it an altitude adjustment. Sounds like Star Monarchs are never going to happen, so I'm thinking either Pro Wraiths or Pro Katanas might be a good complement to the Destroyer.

jubuttib said:
I did say that I was collecting the Katana, but the AM Worlds looks so awful I can't bring myself to buy it. It's just horrid.

Being that the Am Worlds are in my backyard this year and I've never liked the whole "cow town" association with where I live, I can't say I like it much either. But I knew there would be a cow in the design ... there had to be. The host club for it is M.O.O.D. and all but one of their logos involves a cow. Great club, and I'm very happy they won the bid ... but I can't lie and say I like the cow.

niuvalleycane said:
where can one find a Startana and a Champtana at lowest market prices?
Don't know about lowest, but US Masters champ blems are 14.95 USD at Disc Golf Values, which is 5 USD less than either normal US Masters or AM Worlds discs.

Without having to read thru all 40 pages, can someone compare the regular Pro Katanas to the first run Pros and Stars? I'd much rather only spend 10 bucks on one, but if they're nowhere near the same, then I'll buy whatever the consensus says is best.

Roc Lover said:
protanas suck IMO

Yeah that helped Yehosha so much :roll:

Yehosha, I've been throwing 1st Run Japan Open Protana's since they came out...I personally think they fly better then the Production Run either Proto Stamp or Regular Run ones. The production runs that I have thrown are more stable then the Japan Open (JPO) the JPO ones I have to throw with some massive hyzer and then they flip up and glide forever then fade out not hard.

I only use mine for long wide open bombs, main other driver is the Teebird, love me some birds!! Hope that helps.

TRB