• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Innova Katana

I would imagine so. I havent thrown a star katana, but the pro is quite flippy and I would imagine the star is more stable.

Haven't thrown my Farting Lemon in ages, but when I did it was definitely way more stable than a Protana. The Echo is close to the pro, just stable enough to come back reliably on my throws, the Protana always finishes right for me (I've only thrown two Protanas though, a Japan Open and a production run).

finally got a pro katana. Went on a disc golf road trip from WI to texas and played some courses with huge holes. was able to throw it and got some major D out of that thing. So far i like it a lot, as long as there is not a ton of trees around. it does need a lot of room to work for max D. We played a course that ran along with a ball golf course so that was perfect. nice open holes that averaged like 650 feet.

I threw a Protana today for a couple of rounds. I was getting some pretty good distance with it. It's definitely not as understable as some people make it out to be. I'm not saying it's not understable, it's just not RoadRunner understable when new. I will say that it's going to be awesome for hyzer flips once it beats in.

Pro Katana is a terrible disc. Have you played any leagues recently? I don't think I've seen so many people throw bad shots with the same disc before.

Spinach D said:
Pro Katana is a terrible disc. Have you played any leagues recently? I don't think I've seen so many people throw bad shots with the same disc before.

I don't think it's a terrible disc. But I agree with you, EVERYONE thinks they can and should throw it. So I've seen tons of shitty shots with it. But the few pros who really know how to use it can make it appear to defy the laws of physics (hyzer shots that flip over at 300' glide right and hold it for another 100'). The katana and I don't get along at all, I'd rather just use a seasoned pro destroyer.

Spinach D said:

I like them for long hyzer flips.

I've seen some fantastic flip up shots from some of the pros in this area, as well as some monster anhyzers (I've thrown a couple of those in league).

But plenty of bad shots too, just like when people started throwing the Boss/Nuke/any fast disc.

It really depends on the person's power level and how they utilize the right angles. People may be putting too much OAT causing the disc to flip and not return.

Spinach D said:

Yeah it is so bad that thrown flat yesterday apexing at about 18-20' it flew flat the first 250' then late turned anny 2 degrees moving 5-7' right fading back to original line stopping at at least 403'. Terrible. Or was it terrific? Mine is brand new orange 167.

I'm just saying i've seen a lot of scores balloon due to bad pro katana drives (including a few of my own). High speed and understable is just a dangerous combination. It's a fine line to ride.

Spinach D said:
I'm just saying i've seen a lot of scores balloon due to bad pro katana drives (including a few of my own). High speed and understable is just a dangerous combination. It's a fine line to ride.

No problems for me so far YMMV.

Spinach D said:

In my opinion you can't just put this disc in your bag and expect for it to add 50-100ft without throwing it in a field and learning how it works. Just cause a new disc comes out and it's speed 13 the new hot thing and it will bomb super far doesn't mean it's not gonna take time to learn it.

Most likely the bad shots you're seeing (and I'm not saying yours) is cause the people adding these discs are all about the hype and just threw it in there expecting it to work wonders.

I can tell you I've spent months working with my Pro Japan Open one and I finally know it well enough to have the confidence to throw it on other types of holes, not just the wide open ones. I have recently switched from the Pro Japan Open ones to the 2nd Run Champ Japan Open ones...they have more glide IMO then the Pro's.

My .02
TRB

Tim Red Beard said:
In my opinion you can't just put this disc in your bag and expect for it to add 50-100ft without throwing it in a field and learning how it works. Just cause a new disc comes out and it's speed 13 the new hot thing and it will bomb super far doesn't mean it's not gonna take time to learn it.

That's not opinion, that's a stone cold fact.

I have to agree that Pros are very hit and miss. If I nail the right height and line, I can get those consistently further out than anything else I have thrown. However, when I really mess up, I really mess up and those get out way to the right. Funny thing though, when I REALLY mess up, they have a tendency to turn into rollers and the way it lands in the ground is that it rolls forward and back to the left, sometimes almost correcting the original devastation and modestly getting what I originally wanted.

I have noticed a difference between the Production Pros and the Proto-Star Pros. The Proto I have is far more HSS than the production. Both NEED to hyzer flip because they will immediately crash right if thrown flat, but I have noticed that the Proto is more likely to stay flat once it flips up, while if there is any kind of wind, either head or side, the Production sometimes will flip over to the right.

I will keep the Production Run one in my bag, mainly using it when I need to hyzerflip with a touch of turning to the right, as well as the Proto, which seems better suited for long distance, straight ahead throwing on open holes. I now feel confident enough with both to use them during tournaments and leagues, but there definitely was a getting use to period first.

Protana 166g. Blue.

Love the disc. It doesn't like torque but LOVES snap. I throw it just like I would my leopard to hyzer flip, just faster motions.

It gave me my frist throw between 380 - 400' :mrgreen: - mind you from a standstill - no joke. My DX wraith at the same weight is within 30 feet.

It seems pretty consistent, but I haven't thrown in heavy wind. On wide open holes(not a ton of trees) it is my go to.

i love the first run pros. I tend to throw my drives at like 80% alot for control and these go further at 80% than my other drivers at full power. It does need some room to work but the easy D is great.

has anyone found the "critical range" where they go from -2 HSS to -3 HSS?

at 320-ish they're a -1 HSS.

at 380-ish with some applied nuttage they're a -3 HSS.

trying to find that middle area as it will affect what power rating the katana will receive on the chart. the two times i've demoed it the wind ended up kicking up making this tough to figure out.

Latest posts