• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Innova Katana

I'll chime in and say that it may really start turning over past the 350 mark. I threw one today slightly downhill around 352, and it exhibited a possible 1.5 to 2 HSS turn. I could have given you a more definitive answer if I knew that you were seeking some help at the time that I was throwing, but I wasn't really paying attention to how much it was turning, though it did turn. If you don't have the new chart posted tomorrow, I'll try to give you a better reply when I get back from throwing.

A guy here who can throw very far was throwing a star Katana I was letting him demo got the katana to throw at a -3 in some long 450'+ shots but not consistently.

teetering on the fence right now. i've only thrown pro.

basically what i have gathered so far is:
325' = HSS -1 LSS +3.3
375' = HSS -2.5 LSS +3

that leaves a pretty big gap. while these are technically "power 5" speeds/distances, it's up in the air if i am going to "split the difference" or not, or just go w/ the 375' power w/ pwr 6 rating, but i did want to keep the pwr at 5 since it is throwable at the low-mid power 5. was curious if i should take an intermediary rating in between those but i was having trouble dialing in medium-long ranges due to wind and i'm rusty since i hadn't thrown since mid-august.

i've only thrown my pro maybe 20 times, i just cant get a consistent flight out of it. when it works it's awesome, when it fails it's usually pretty disastrous. but then again, i love monarchs...what the fuck do i know?

Blake_T said:
teetering on the fence right now. i've only thrown pro.

BTW, the only one I have is the pro. I can't comment on the Star or Champ.

basically what i have gathered so far is:
325' = HSS -1 LSS +3.3
375' = HSS -2.5 LSS +3

that leaves a pretty big gap. while these are technically "power 5" speeds/distances, it's up in the air if i am going to "split the difference" or not, or just go w/ the 375' power w/ pwr 6 rating, but i did want to keep the pwr at 5 since it is throwable at the low-mid power 5. was curious if i should take an intermediary rating in between those but i was having trouble dialing in medium-long ranges due to wind and i'm rusty since i hadn't thrown since mid-august.

Personally, I would leave it at power 5. IMO, I think you are right at wanting to keep it at a 5.

Orc, Flash etc. that are HSS -1.5 at PWR 5 flip much more than my 167 Pro Katana when it's new up to 400'. It doesn't take kindly to winds. I get late turn with less than 10' of right movement released flat after about 230-250' flat flight landing at 400' in calm weather. Considering a Beast is LSS 2 at PWR 4 I'd give a 400' Protana golf throw LSS 2.5 not 3. I haven't thrown my harder plastic Katanas in good traction conditions yet. I think people confuse calm weather and wind performance of Katanas. In calm weather they're not flip machines even at 167 but I don't know what happens with a broken in disc. In winds HSS -3 is perfectly realistic with 400' power. This is a speed stable mold and it shows.

It's never easy to give just one number to discs that change so much in different conditions. So I recommend giving numbers like you give to other speed stable discs. Considering it does not take a huge amount of power I think PWR 5 is right and HSS and LSS should follow the same logic as other speed stable discs in that PWR range do. So that people get which one of those discs flips less or more than the others ofthe same PWR requirement.

At 325' in calm weather or mild winds with a flat release a new 167 Protana does not flip more than a foot or two. Fade is close to a new Champ Teebird without flashing with 325' throws for both.

The last time I thew my Farting Lemon was some time in January I think, when it was definitely too much disc for me (well, anything above speed 11 still is, but anyway). Now I've been throwing Pro and Echo Star tanas and both are turning nicely for me, so I thought I'd try it out again, since I knew it was a bit more stable than the others. I was really surprised to see that it also turned over a bit and held that nice angle for a long long time and went very far with very little effort and was very consistent, I didn't have a single bad throw with it all day. Still not going in to the bag because a) it's still too much of a disc for me b) it's not easy to replace and c) I only throw Discmania at the moment. ;)

But yeah, nice to see I've progressed to a point where I can use discs I couldn't before and be consistent with them, and I was very surprised the Star is now actually both longer and easier to control than the Pro or the Echo (which is very very domey and glidey). If I could get some of these for cheap over here in Finland or the upcoming regular run Stars are similar, I really might consider using this disc at some point.

Actually what I hope is that Discmania finally comes up with the new Katana'ish distance driver, and I hope that the P-Line flies like the Startana.

HEADS UP

one of my clients just ordered Champion Katanas as a CFR

word was that Innova custom shop was waiting for Dave D's okay to put Champtanas in regular CFR and not SER (super exclusive raiser)

Capital of Texas Open will have Champ Katanas
i can arrogantly state that these will be the hottest-stamped Champtanas yet
Austin tossers -- enjoy the madniss
everyone else -- stop spending too much on Champtanas, they're bout to get cheap

Leopard said:
i can arrogantly state that these will be the hottest-stamped Champtanas yet
Austin tossers -- enjoy the madniss
everyone else -- stop spending too much on Champtanas, they're bout to get cheap
You BASTARD! As if I don't have enough discs to get already and no money at all, now you're going to be making a brand new hot Champtana? That's the only disc I'm even sort of collecting.

booter said:
nice. I'm signed up for coto and I can't wait to snag some with that sweet ass stamp you did zamson. Your hott series stamps are bomb homie.
word thanks :)
bein how it's the 20th Annual i tried to pay some respects to Pease
also i'm getting a strong vibe that if there's ever a COTO at Pease again, it'll be on a Waterloo-style temp layout :(
so it's a goodbye love letter type thing, took it easy on the bewbs n plants

CHAMP KATANAS THAT DON'T SUCK
coming soon

CHAMP KATANAS THAT SUCK EVEN THOUGH THEY DON'T HAVE TO
never gon die

right on. The manor stamp was sweet . I saw a pic of the coto design. It was def nice even if you took it easy on the boobs n herbs lol. I heard about this possibly being the last yr for HOTT. I hopr it's not true but as you said if coto ontinues it'll be waterloo'd down.

btw. Ur stamp for manor fit the tourney perfectly nedless to say. We saw 4 fuckn snakes sat. One dude almost stepped on 2 huge ass 4' rattlers.....not the putter lol. And I lost a 1st run destroyer in the shit,not my up of tee with all those sneaky reptilians lurking around.u playin oto?

you got no idea how paranoid i was -- inviting a snake on myself with that mojo ... and i visited snake-town many times in my rounds

PROGRAM NOTE for SEXY KATANA LOVERS (lovers of sexy katanas)
these COTOtanas are gonna be available at the event first, and not before. i heard that boatloads were ordered but i expect full sellout :)

Anyone got a comparison between plastics in these? I've really fallen in love with a max weight pro for no wind D and a 172 pro that is getting a bit seasoned for tailwind max D.

I thought about a 168-170 champion Katana for durability in that max D role but was curious about the stability differences from Pro to Champ.

jnecessary said:
Anyone got a comparison between plastics in these? I've really fallen in love with a max weight pro for no wind D and a 172 pro that is getting a bit seasoned for tailwind max D.

I thought about a 168-170 champion Katana for durability in that max D role but was curious about the stability differences from Pro to Champ.

(For reference, all my discs are 171, except for my R-Pro, which is 158)
R-Pro is a flip machine, it'l come out of just about any hyzer. Probably great for downhill and down wind, but haven't had the chance to try.
Pros like to flip considerably, demand quite a lot of hyzer or a stiff downwind. JR will disagree, his are probably higher PLH ones than I've tried.
Echo Stars are much more controllable, but can still be relied to turn over consistently. Also damn domey, infinite glide, not that good in wind, slower than the less domey plastics.
My Farting Lemon (Star) is again a bit more stable, this is approaching a level of stability that I can rely even in small headwinds. I haven't really had bad throws with this, never turned and burned, always been reliable. Not as much dome as the Echo Star, but still damn long due to being a bit faster.
U.S. Masters Champ is maybe a bit more touchy than the Star, still very useful. Depending on my "forme du jour" I'd go with either this or the Star.
2nd Run Japan Open Champ is the most stable, although not by much. Still flips a bit, but is starting to feel very similar to my yellow FR Nuke (also 171).

Katana is too much of a disc for me, I can only get them to around 400', so this reply might not be of much use. Also the production run Katanas seem to be more understable than the Japan Open ones (both in Pro).

Not necessarily disagreeing because people have different forms and physiques. I tend to need less initial hyzer with many drivers than most. Dunno if that's from spin because added spin reduces flipping. Or maybe my plane preservation is better. Or leg placement or whatever. BUT I doubt that my small hands and fingers allow pure rips with Teebirds and Rocs because I need more hyzer than many for them. High discs don't agree with me as much as fat this ones.

My 167 Pro Katana only when new and in no wind can be thrown flat with no flip or just a couple of degrees depending on power. I have two of those and the little used one broke in quite quickly and does flip more than the new one. I can't tell yet how much and how quickly those break in.

Echo Star 175 is shorter than farting lemon in same full weight. For me my Champ 167 US Masters Katana is the shortest of these and is the most HSS and LSS.

Pls forgive me for not going through 44 pages of discussion for this answer, put between the star and pro plastics, is there a difference in overall distance? I'm looking for a bit for of an S flight than the Star Boss, AND think this would fit the bill. So, Pro at @$10 vs Star ~$15?

Latest posts