• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Innova Katana

StumperTX said:
Pls forgive me for not going through 44 pages of discussion for this answer, put between the star and pro plastics, is there a difference in overall distance? I'm looking for a bit for of an S flight than the Star Boss, AND think this would fit the bill. So, Pro at @$10 vs Star ~$15?
Look up a few posts and you can see how my Katanas have worked for me. For S-lines I'd use a Star (Farting Lemon or Presidents Cup Echos), the Pros are better for anhyzer lines IMHO. I've had my longest Katana throws with the Pros but the Stars are more consistent, faster but less glidey, and not that far behind to make a difference. I don't really like the Pros that much except for going right. YMMV, the ones I've thrown have felt very understable.

jubuttib said:
StumperTX said:
Pls forgive me for not going through 44 pages of discussion for this answer, put between the star and pro plastics, is there a difference in overall distance? I'm looking for a bit for of an S flight than the Star Boss, AND think this would fit the bill. So, Pro at @$10 vs Star ~$15?
Look up a few posts and you can see how my Katanas have worked for me. For S-lines I'd use a Star (Farting Lemon or Presidents Cup Echos), the Pros are better for anhyzer lines IMHO. I've had my longest Katana throws with the Pros but the Stars are more consistent, faster but less glidey, and not that far behind to make a difference. I don't really like the Pros that much except for going right. YMMV, the ones I've thrown have felt very understable.
much obliged sir -- I saw the last one about the flight paths, but didn't see one specific to distance

StumperTX said:
much obliged sir -- I saw the last one about the flight paths, but didn't see one specific to distance
They all are damn long. =)

The Pro probably has the best distance potential for me, but it's hard to keep under control compared to the others. For disc golf I'd either go with the Star or the Champ.

Been throwing the Champion Katana for a few weeks now, and I gotta say it does exactly what they advertise it to do. And that is to instantly add 50 feet of distance for people who don't have a big enough arm to throw the other mega speed discs. I throw around 325' avgI've thrown Halos, Nukes, Bosses and they are too much for me and always hook way too hard left for me when thrown RHBH. The Katanas do sweet, consistant, S curves for me around 375' avg.

jubuttib said:
For disc golf I'd either go with the Star or the Champ.

Ok, but which one do you go with for baseball? sorry, just giving you a hard time... I couldn't resist.

mzuleger said:
jubuttib said:

Ok, but which one do you go with for baseball? sorry, just giving you a hard time... I couldn't resist.

Or how about for Pesäpallo? :lol:

discspeed said:
mzuleger said:
jubuttib said:

Or how about for Pesäpallo? :lol:
Funny you should say that, because we've actually been field practicing on a pesäpallo-field. Great game, haven't played it since lukio (approximately equivalent high school) though.

A question out of curiousity: for people that can throw 450'+ will a Katana out-distance a Boss or Destroyer? Is the Katana too squirrely at that distance to be used with confidence?

skurf said:
A question out of curiousity: for people that can throw 450'+ will a Katana out-distance a Boss or Destroyer? Is the Katana too squirrely at that distance to be used with confidence?

I don't throw that far personally but play with a bunch of people on a regular basis who do. I'm more in the 380-400 area. It can outdistance them, but IMO too squirley to rely on it. Especially if you just want one mold for a distance driver. The guys in that range I know like light star bosses or max wt pro bosses/ pro destroyers.

Yea I can throw into the low 400 range but don't think I'd rely on them much over that. This guy Jeremiah I throw with sometimes throws 500+ and just flips them into the dirt at full rip.

Went through several dozen of the stock Star Katanas today ... they look to have molded up very consistently between weights and colors. All nice and flat.

blood-red death-grip Champy-Star fans will be pleased with the number of tasty tasties in the red variety

you guys ever try an overhand into the wind with a katana yet?

i bought a pro katana, first throw it bombed, 2nd throw into a headwind, it literally went from hyzer release to flipin 240degrees, once it flipped it looked like my thumber distance shots
(shot was off a hill, did a full thumber flight after flipping...)

i wonder if its "epic" like thrown over hand?? as in being able to level off and glide

i'd like to know before i sell mine - dont wanna beat up this disc throwin overhands myself :)

i do like it for tail winds though, but thats not enough to earn a spot in my bag

i got to rip some katana's late last week. Man, the stars really boom....

i throw em from hyzer and they just cruise....like the monsterous sidewinder they were compared to.

This disc gave me more distance right off the bat compared to my other discs right out of the box. I do notice that it has a lot of glide, more than I thought it would compared to the Groove and Boss. I feel the Pro Katana gives me more controllable distance than that of the R-Pro Boss. The R-Pro Boss isn't worth the price unless it is for a complete noob or a woman just starting out.

Leopard said:
Went through several dozen of the stock Star Katanas today ... they look to have molded up very consistently between weights and colors. All nice and flat.

blood-red death-grip Champy-Star fans will be pleased with the number of tasty tasties in the red variety

Yeah, we got ours in as well and I can't believe how flat they all are...with super high parting lines as well. I took one of those red ones to test. I can't imagine they are going to glide too much with that Flick-like profile. Its one of the flattest discs I've ever held.

discspeed said:
I can't imagine they are going to glide too much with that Flick-like profile. Its one of the flattest discs I've ever held.
:shock: I just can't imagine a Katana that flat.

Just looked at cases of the StarKats and most I saw are flat, but not all. There were a number of white Champy-Star ones with dome much like the Champs and even approaching the Pros.

Latest posts