• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Innova Katana

Tim Red Beard said:
Roc Lover said:
protanas suck IMO

Yeah that helped Yehosha so much :roll:

Yehosha, I've been throwing 1st Run Japan Open Protana's since they came out...I personally think they fly better then the Production Run either Proto Stamp or Regular Run ones. The production runs that I have thrown are more stable then the Japan Open (JPO) the JPO ones I have to throw with some massive hyzer and then they flip up and glide forever then fade out not hard.

I only use mine for long wide open bombs, main other driver is the Teebird, love me some birds!! Hope that helps.

TRB

Seconded, if you think of a pro katana as a roadrunner/sidewinder its not a big deal and really a unique disc that can hit lines almost no other discs can hit. If you think an aspect of it is a disadvantage, you just need to look at it differently for it to be an advantage.

Just got some spikes for my shoes and got a semi decent footing for once. Went throwing the Echo Katana and a production Protana (which by the way was WAY flippy). My best throws last summer were around 300 feet, averaging around 275', and I've been working on my form this winter (mainly with the help of "stuck at 350 feet" sticky). I haven't been able to try anything out fully since it's been so damn slippery, but now that I had pretty good grip I could go all out. My best throws with the echo were around 370' and averaging around 350' with a smoooooth hyzerflip line. In the snow, with gloves on, with about one month's worth of work (I also threw my friends Soft Challenger consistently in the 270-290' range). The Protana was a bit hard to handle at first but it was almost as long when I got some practice in. It was consistent though, there was a truck trailer in the parking lot at 200' and I hit the same exact spot on it twice in a row (and I mean almost to the centimeter). The echo does have way more dome so it glides better at the end of it's flight.

So to sum up: This forum effing ROCKS, the technique threads are unbelievably helpful, and the echo Katana is a DAMN fine disc.

jubuttib said:
Tim Red Beard said:
jubuttib I'm gonna have to post my wall of Katana's...your mouth will hit the floor...I'm a Katana WHORE! I will put them up probably tonight.
I would be too if I had the cash. Too bad the 1st run champ was already sold out everywhere when I noticed them. The black champtana (the "only 123 made, win a ticket to the JO" one) pissed me off. I would have bought it in any color, except black. One black Katana is too much already, I can't throw that thing anywhere. =(

Though I'm a "one of each" collector. Multiple colors and that kind of stuff don't trigger my "gotta catch 'em all" -sense. Multiple stamps and plastics, now that's an another story altogether.

I usually try to grab like I said 2 of each of the new ones that come out, usually a light and a dark color. The Black Katana's I missed the boat on and ended up paying about $5 bucks more then on the Hero site...I only got the Gold & Silver stamps and an X-Out Blue one which I intend on throwing.

Well here's my wall, It starts from the top left and works it's way from left to right going all the way down from release date and kind.

1 - 1st Run Champ, 9 - 1st Run Pros (Some are back ups for my bag), 1 - Star Pro Worlds (UGLY Stamp), 2 - 2nd Run Katanas (2 Sparkles, 1 out of 4 Ice, 1 Pink Rainbow Stamp), 2 - Black Champ (2 out of 123), 4 - Presidents Cup (2 USA, 2 Europe), 2 - Tim Selinske Champs, 5 - 1st Run Proto Stamp Pro's, 2 - AM World Champ's, 1 - 1st Run Pro Anomaly (No Samurai Stamp), 1 - X-Out Black Champ w/ Blue Stamp. Total Katanas = 32.

Rest of the discs are - 2 First Run Nukes, 1st Run X-Out Champ XCal, XG Big D Boss. Then one of each color old run 5X JK Aviar's.

ka1.jpg

I finally found the spot for this disc. Pretty windy day I threw my jo pro katana into a head wind and the thing just cut straight as an arrow.

The JO Protana seemed a fair bit more stable than my friend's regular run protana. That thing is too flippy to use for anything other than anhyzer shots. Could well be a freak one of course.

Got to really test out the katana today and I have to say, this thing is my megaspeed driver of choice. I had some trouble with it for the first couple of throws while figuring out the height and the amount of hyzer on the release but once I figured it out I had some really good drives with it. Also I found the katana isn't as bad in the wind as I thought it was, I just had to figure out how to work the wind.

can anyone opine as to Champ Katana & XG Boss stability, I'm hearing XG Boss is straighter off the shelf than Champ Boss, if you've thrown both, is the XG 1 tick or 2 ticks more hss or otherwise than a Champtana?

Finally got to handle some Katanas at my local disc slinger. HOLY-MOTHER-OF-DOME! Picked up a nice big star stamped pro, can't try it out yet because of having hernia surgery last week though. :cry:

Bought a 168 Pro Katana from DiscGolfValues, I've taken it out and field thrown it a couple times now. Initially I was very disappointed, as I couldn't figure out a throw to make this disc work, it was turning and burning almost immediately.

The second time to the field was much better, by giving it enough height / hyzer I could get a full flight out of it. I did manage a 407' toss with it, which is one of my personal longest.

The katana seems very finicky and sensitive, not sure if this disc will find a home in my bag or if it is just sort of a novelty disc for me.

Should have gotten a heavier weight :| :shock:

Blink said:
Tim Red Beard said:
Roc Lover said:
protanas suck IMO

Yeah that helped Yehosha so much :roll:

Yehosha, I've been throwing 1st Run Japan Open Protana's since they came out...I personally think they fly better then the Production Run either Proto Stamp or Regular Run ones. The production runs that I have thrown are more stable then the Japan Open (JPO) the JPO ones I have to throw with some massive hyzer and then they flip up and glide forever then fade out not hard.

I only use mine for long wide open bombs, main other driver is the Teebird, love me some birds!! Hope that helps.

TRB

Seconded, if you think of a pro katana as a roadrunner/sidewinder its not a big deal and really a unique disc that can hit lines almost no other discs can hit. If you think an aspect of it is a disadvantage, you just need to look at it differently for it to be an advantage.

i dont carry many speed 13 drivers around with the intention of using them like a speed 9 driver, so yes i do look at it as a disadvantage, for me, they were flippy, too much so.
Im looking for something thats reliable and still be understable but with consistent flight for that slot (RR/Leopard/sidewinder etc) the katana is none of those things for those discs workable ranges. Add 150 ft, maybe it would be usable, also would be a great long distance roller.
The champs are good so far, star are TBD as i have yet to throw one. Personally, if youre maxing out at 300, and you can figure out how to throw it, you can add 40-50 feet to most drives just having it (pro plastic is what im talking about, in my experience its less stable and more glidey overall when compared to champ/star, which makes it better for the players who dont have the arm for the other speed 12 and 13 drivers)

i did help him, potentially saved him 10 bucks+shipping

Not bad, I've been thinking of doing that myself.

Still, the Farting Lemon is infinitely better than the AM Worlds cow.

Finally got one of my Champ Katanas out yesterday in high hopes that it would be a more stable version of the Farting Lemon I've been putting out to 400+. Huge dissapointment, this thing just flips over and never comes back. I guess it might make for a decent tailwind turnover disc.

If anyone has some Farting Lemons (167-170) you don't want let me know I'll trade you something worthwhile or give you some paypal funds!

out of all my champ tanas the domey ones are the best for being more stable than the startanas. My 2nd run flat ones are flippy. However my usmasters tanas are flat as well but not easily flippy like my 2nd runs. Star tanas are nice though,especially if you an find some domey ones. I got lucky with mine that had huge domes and still flew lgood.

Finally had weather clear and warm, plus time off work, to get a Katana out for the first time since last year. First rip 380ft pretty much on target. Happiness

Sorry if it was covered earlier, too many pages here

How do the 2nd run's fly compared to the 1st run's and the other champions available

Is there a consensus on the preferred champion run?

Aaron_D said:
I have a 2nd run champ that is a little flatter and a little less stable than my fr champ. Both max weight.

how much less stable then the startanas are the 2nd runs if anyone knows? hopefully still quite a bit more stable than the protanas?

Latest posts