• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] Latitude 64 River

Does anyone throw rivers?

This was one of my favorite discs for a long time and as I've progressed I've moved away from it. Does anyone still throw these? Seems like so many great latitude molds are forgotten.

I bag two, a 168 Moonshine as my turnover/roller disc, and a 175 Devan Owens Opto-X Sparkle. The DO River is so much more stable it's almost like a completely different disc. Kinda like a TL.

I just put a Frost River in the bag for a round the other day. Made me wonder why I went away from them. Will keep it there for a while to see. It seems like my GLs got flippy (even for my noodle arm), so maybe I need to give Opto another go.

I throw a 170g GL River all the time for dead straight or slightly anny lines. River was the first disc I ever got some distance with and I've always bagged one.

This was one of my favorite discs for a long time and as I've progressed I've moved away from it. Does anyone still throw these? Seems like so many great latitude molds are forgotten.

My Gold Line Rivers were seasoning in and getting too flippy too quickly, and the Leopard3 in various plastics started being in my wheelhouse. So the River was dropped from my bag.

After some range time with some Novas, I corrected some wrist roll issues, and also began being more consistent not throwing nose-up. So when my home course changed some basket locations, I put my favorite light blue GL River back in the bag for a trial run.

It still turns over, but very smoothly. The uphill hole I mainly throw it on has given up three birdies in a row to me when I used the River there. So I'm considering keeping the River in the bag for those anny/turnover shots when I need them.

Looks like they've made another run of Opto-X, including the Devan Owens Rivers.

Also probably a good time for an update on mine. It's seasoned in a bit, and the fade has lessened some. Still doesn't turn much unless there's a headwind.

any one feel up that run of opto x? prefer the stiffer runs cause trilogy is often too soft in the summer.

Anyone still have some rivers with the old stamp on them? I lost my favorite one and can't find a replacement. I feel like the older rivers with that stamp were a totally different disc than the newer ones.

I've gone back to my 164 GL River. Improved form has made the difference, as I discovered the perceived flippiness was all on me. For straight low-ceiling shots this is my bread and butter. I do find Rivers in general have more stability than they get credit for. PLH seems to make all the difference with this mold and stability.

After being in the bag for almost a year, the Opto-X Sparkle River has developed a touch of high-speed turn. Still my favorite for long, glidey downhill shots

Are the Opto X River's worth the extra money? I picked up a cheap Opto on sale yesterday...I can't stand Trilogy, but I really do like the River as a mold.

Are the Opto X River's worth the extra money? I picked up a cheap Opto on sale yesterday...I can't stand Trilogy, but I really do like the River as a mold.

Depends on what you're looking for. Opto X is going to be more stable and have less glide. IMO the best things about the river are the glide and the under stability.

Depends on what you're looking for. Opto X is going to be more stable and have less glide. IMO the best things about the river are the glide and the under stability.

Thanks for saving me some money lol.

I agree...the best part of the River mold is the glide and stable/US flight...

Opto X is also just a bit more like JL champ. One of the things I like about Trilogy Opto/Lucid/VIP is that it feels like really beat in gummy champ. I think the only Trilogy mold I would think of getting in Opto X that i throw is the Compass... and I don't think they do that yet.

Thanks for saving me some money lol.

I agree...the best part of the River mold is the glide and stable/US flight...

I'd strongly disagree that they have less glide. The Opto-X ones are way more stable though, even after they eventually break in. Think C-FD. Also, they have a much longer break-in period than any other Trilogy plastic I've tried.

I remember feeling the same way about Frost line Rivers - they were missing the glide out of the box, and I never bothered to break one in.

Anyone throw those LE Gold Line Rivers that had the very scenic looking picture with the winding river? How do those fly?

Good to know...I'm getting softer in my Trilogy hate and tossing the River. Such a good mold.