• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] Latitude 64 River

So did anyone order or throw Owens new epic sounding Opto-x River? I assume it will be very close to the Frosts but in a stiff plastic? Sounds like a workhorse ready to glide of the shelf...

I ordered a purple, I think it just shipped so we'll see in a few days. I really wanted pink, but they didn't list any, even though Devan is holding a pink one in the ad lol.

So did anyone order or throw Owens new epic sounding Opto-x River? I assume it will be very close to the Frosts but in a stiff plastic? Sounds like a workhorse ready to glide of the shelf...

I ordered a max-weight yellow one. I'm hoping it will be like my Thief.

Ended up ordering 2 can't wait to throw one, but we're currently getting 5-7" of snow

Attachments

• MVIMG_20180305_151125.jpg
    MVIMG_20180305_151125.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 63
If it wasn't for the Goldx Explorer straighting out fast i would also have two sparkle purple, I bet my ass that's $.

I have a gold x and two opto explorer. I'm not sure if I'll throw the gold x, looks great and I have trouble finding burst/swirl discs. I'm thinking I could run an opto explorer, sparkle river, and gl river and cover just about everything in my 300-350 range.

I have a gold x and two opto explorer. I'm not sure if I'll throw the gold x, looks great and I have trouble finding burst/swirl discs. I'm thinking I could run an opto explorer, sparkle river, and gl river and cover just about everything in my 300-350 range.

It's amazing, I recommend throwing.

If it is more stable than the Frost River as I bet, it will be real nice and straight or really glidey hyzerflips, likely tailwind bombers.

Exactly, I add a OS Spark for hyzers into headwind, a Saint or beat to flippy Saint Pro and two Flow. All you need. ;)

I still like my 162-4 Gold Line Rivers. Beefy Rivers ain't exactly Rivers, if you know what I mean. More beef = less glide.

I love the look of the DO River, but i am concerned the more stable version will not be good for me. I don't have a huge arm and my opto river is just perfect... as far as i know.

Any of you river fans have an option on the opto vs GL? I love my opto so much and it has become an important part of my bag. I just ordered a GL to have a backup and test a different plastic.

I have a GL River, Opto River and Moonshine River and they range in stability in that order with the GL being least stable and the Moonshine being the most stable.

The GL is a finesse disc for sure even at lower armspeed but it is one of my most favorite discs to throw and usually gets a "what was that you just threw" when I flip it up just right and it takes its lazy right turn and just glides for days. The GL has little to no fade left in it for me.

The Opto can handle a tad bit more snap but still requires a smooth release and unless it is completely turned over it will fade back at the end albeit a lazy fade.

The Moonshine is the most stable of all yet will still provide a nice turn when sped up a bit but has a healthy fade at the end.

Keep in mind for me (~350 ft drives) I rarely go over 80% on any of these so this is not a disc to be cranked on. But it rewards smooth and is a great tool to keep your form in check.

Just got my Opto-X in, and it's much stiffer than the Air, Opto, & Moonshine ones I've tried before. This one seems to have a bit more dome, too. I'd love to go throw it, but I've come down with a cold. Awesome.

Just got my Opto-X in, and it's much stiffer than the Air, Opto, & Moonshine ones I've tried before. This one seems to have a bit more dome, too. I'd love to go throw it, but I've come down with a cold. Awesome.

I also got my opto-x river as well as my opto-x saint pro, and am super excited to throw them soon. Unfortunately, its below freezing and snowing here....so it'll have to wait a bit. Not risking these bad boys in the snow.

I can't really find info on Opto X or Gold X plastic...what's the deal with it? Is it special release in a few molds? Or is it going to be a blend that's consistently added to the Trilogy lineups? Just stiffer versions so it's more like Champ?

I can't really find info on Opto X or Gold X plastic...what's the deal with it? Is it special release in a few molds? Or is it going to be a blend that's consistently added to the Trilogy lineups? Just stiffer versions so it's more like Champ?

This one seems to be more like Metal Flake from what I can tell.

The only thing I found was on this page:
Devan Owens Opto-X River

"Opto-X is a slightly stiffer plastic that results in more overstable flights."

It's simply a stiffer Opto generating a more stable disc. For example Owens compared the new Saint Pro to the old pop-tops in stability...

https://l64custom.com/product-category/discs/teamseries/

I bet the River will be close to a TL if it's gonna be more HSS than the Frosts that i almost would call a straight speed 7....
Shame i have my Gold-x Explorer already.

Last edited:
I finally got to throw my 2 Opto-x Rivers today and they are pretty much exactly what I expected and wanted. I threw them side by side with 2 regular Opto Rivers (one beat, one new) and they flew the same distance, but on a straighter flight. Opto-x is noticeably stiffer than regular Opto. If they really do hold their stability longer than regular Opto, then I'll probably pick up a couple more. All of my Rivers are between 174-176 grams.

I finally got to throw my 2 Opto-x Rivers today and they are pretty much exactly what I expected and wanted. I threw them side by side with 2 regular Opto Rivers (one beat, one new) and they flew the same distance, but on a straighter flight. Opto-x is noticeably stiffer than regular Opto. If they really do hold their stability longer than regular Opto, then I'll probably pick up a couple more. All of my Rivers are between 174-176 grams.

I was able to get out today and throw my Opto-X, and can 100% confirm the above. It's just as long as my Moonshine River, but much straighter. This is going into my bag immediately. I already ordered two more.

I was able to get out today and throw my Opto-X, and can 100% confirm the above. It's just as long as my Moonshine River, but much straighter. This is going into my bag immediately. I already ordered two more.

Let us know how durable the plastic is, and how long it takes to start seasoning in. :popcorn: And have fun with it. :thmbup:

I just threw a X-blend Explorer and a Opto-X River in a wooded course for same holes. Opto-X River is definitely stable than normal Opto River or way more stable than GL River which I used to have. For comparison to Explorer, Opto-X River has a little bit more glide and the fade is more forward penetrating than Explorer's dumpy fade. Opto-X is a good straight and glidey fairway driver, it's now maybe the closest thing from Trilogy lineup for Discmania's FD.