• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] Latitude 64 River

Not sure there is one. Maybe the Witness?

Witness was more US for me, like a Seer, or even a Diamond, if they made a 170 gram one.

River is a pretty special disc in the Trilogy family of discs in my experience.

Depending on the disc and the plastic, they can vary from stable neutral to somewhat under-stable. But I think the core disc they intended is not fliptastic, has great glide, and is what a fairway driver was meant to be, for the masses. This is a finesse disc, and gorillas gonna flip it 100% of the time.

Last edited:
Witness was more US for me, like a Seer, or even a Diamond, if they made a 170 gram one.

River is a pretty special disc in the Trilogy family of discs in my experience.

Depending on the disc and the plastic, they can vary from stable neutral to somewhat under-stable. But I think the core disc they intended is not fliptastic, has great glide, and is what a fairway driver was meant to be, for the masses. This is a finesse disc, and gorillas gonna flip it 100% of the time.

All true. I bag a River myself. Having said that, every River I've had, in Gold Line, Opto, or Moonshine, may have started out straight-stable, but they always work into some understability (some get flippy, some just a gentle turnover).

Also, while I suggested the Witness as the 'nearest' thing, DD really has nothing right at the speed (7 or so) and stability of the River. The River is indeed in a class of its own...

Also, while I suggested the Witness as the 'nearest' thing, DD really has nothing right at the speed (7 or so) and stability of the River. The River is indeed in a class of its own...

Yes, I am starting to understand this. My 168g Goldline River is just the best suited, straightest disc for me that I have ever laid my hands on. I dont think I will ever overpower this disc, but I'm getting distances over 300 feet and I have never done that with any other disc. I just love it more every day that I play with it!:clap:

I scanned the whole thread and didn't see any references to Moonshine Rivers. I just got a 168g Moonshine and took it to field practice, and it's noticably more stable than my other one ever was at my power level (I can throw these about 310' or so). Still turns, and seems to glide just a bit more than in Opto Air plastic. Awesome.

I scanned the whole thread and didn't see any references to Moonshine Rivers. I just got a 168g Moonshine and took it to field practice, and it's noticably more stable than my other one ever was at my power level (I can throw these about 310' or so). Still turns, and seems to glide just a bit more than in Opto Air plastic. Awesome.

Did you throw a Frost? I'm so curious how these compare, even though I'm about to cycle them out with beat up River Pros.

Did you throw a Frost? I'm so curious how these compare, even though I'm about to cycle them out with beat up River Pros.

No, the only two plastics I've thrown a River in is Opto Air & Moonshine. The Air one had less HSS out of the box, and is my go-to for shorter (<300') rollers. Both have about the same LSS.

I'm using a Moonshine River now. It started out more stable than GL Rivers, but is seasoning in with use, and is really good for me. Definitely has great glide, though the GL Rivers glide will, also.

Threw my buddies river. It was better than I remembered. Nice flip up and has hang time that makes you think the disc should be illegal.

I bag a GL River and have bagged an Opto in the past. Great disc and was my favorite fairway driver for a long time. Lately though, S line FD is getting more and more of that work. It's just a touch more stable than my River. Both are great discs, just liking the FD a bit more these days.

I have been a River fan for a long time, but the ones I've always trusted have become unreliably under-stable. I started throwing a Moonshine in preparation for an event this week, and have rediscovered the love. I might need to try an slightly heavier Opto, or maybe try the Frost that I have sitting around. I might have to rethink my love affair with GL plastic.....

My old GL is well seasoned and one of my favorite discs. I do have to be careful how much snap I put on it though but it shines at 80% or less and I can put it on many lines.

I also picked up a moonshine that compliments it well allowing more power with a stronger fade.

Love Rivers

I have been a River fan for a long time, but the ones I've always trusted have become unreliably under-stable. I started throwing a Moonshine in preparation for an event this week, and have rediscovered the love. I might need to try an slightly heavier Opto, or maybe try the Frost that I have sitting around. I might have to rethink my love affair with GL plastic.....

Agreed. All my GL Rivers became flippy understable with use. In fairness, same thing happened to my GL Furys. Moonshine seems to be holding serve a little better and for a longer time.

My old GL is well seasoned and one of my favorite discs. I do have to be careful how much snap I put on it though but it shines at 80% or less and I can put it on many lines.

I also picked up a moonshine that compliments it well allowing more power with a stronger fade.

Love Rivers

:thmbup: :hfive:

This is going to be my next fairway driver so should I go with the Gold Line or the Opto plastic for a heavily wooded home course? Also, any suggestions on the weight (wanting to stay between 164g and 174g)?

Thanks.

TripleB

This is going to be my next fairway driver so should I go with the Gold Line or the Opto plastic for a heavily wooded home course? Also, any suggestions on the weight (wanting to stay between 164g and 174g)?

Thanks.

TripleB

Opto will last a bit longer. And weight is somewhat personal, but a 168-170g is a good weight range for me.

Opto will last a bit longer. And weight is somewhat personal, but a 168-170g is a good weight range for me.

Either one more 'gripy' than the other?

I like my Pure (Zero Med) which seems to be a bit softer and more gripy than my other discs (mostly DX). Ordering another Pure in the Opto plastic.

Thanks for the weight recommendation...I was looking in the 165g to 169g range.

TripleB

Either one more 'gripy' than the other?

I like my Pure (Zero Med) which seems to be a bit softer and more gripy than my other discs (mostly DX). Ordering another Pure in the Opto plastic.

Thanks for the weight recommendation...I was looking in the 165g to 169g range.

TripleB

Gold Line is like Star, but feels even better, IMHO. Opto is like Champ, but a bit gummier. Gold Line feels great, but seasons in pretty quickly (especially relative to Star). And since you said you're playing in the woods, I recommended Opto, which will last longer (but not forever like Champion plastic does).

I would recommend you to go 170ish, the River gets quite US once beat in. However, if you keep throwing that Pure and hence keep your form clean, you'll be able to push the River out quite fast without it crashing.
Reminds me, I gotta take that beat in Gold 178g River i took out since it was too flippy, I bet it was my form and that it's actually money. ;)

A 168 Opto River would be great. Gold line is great too. It beats in a little bit faster but for you, I doubt you would even see the difference between the two. The gold line will have slightly more glide or more turn potential. Moonshine Rivers all also fantastic. Frost is the most stable of all the plastics. My 165g Frost River is my most stable River. It comes down to feel and which plastic you prefer in your hand. The only way to know that is to become familiar with both the Opto and Gold line plastics and then you will tend to gravitate towards one or the other. I didn't think you can go wrong with any River you get until your power level increases significantly. Then there are differences in Rivers and plastic types that DO matter. It may sound cliche, but the best way to figure it out is to get one of each and learn it for yourself. Once you really start to understand disc flight and power and spin and angles it will become easier to figure out what specific disc flight you are chasing and you'll have a better idea of what to get to achieve your desired result.

Having a dozen discs or so is not a bad thing. You would do very well to spend time in a field learning what your discs do. Repetition is KEY. What actually works best is to find a disc you like, such as the Pure and get 3 or 4 of them in the same weight and same plastic and throw them back and forth in a field. Over and over. The River is another disc you can do that with. Say you get a 168 River and you like it. It feels good in your hand. It's fun to throw. Get two more and throw them over and over in a field. Playing on the course is fun but throwing repetition in the field is where the improvement can be accelerated.

So did anyone order or throw Owens new epic sounding Opto-x River? I assume it will be very close to the Frosts but in a stiff plastic? Sounds like a workhorse ready to glide of the shelf...