• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Medium Wizards No Longer PDGA Legal?

I guess it comes down to this. Are current Medium Wizards legal but Gateway just can't make new ones that stiff? Or could there be illegal disc out there right now that we could get called on.
It's not Mediums. It's G9i plastic.

So why don't they just pull the G9i's that fail from inventory and concentrate on getting them a little softer next time around. I don't see the need for an all-encompassing ban when it's really a specific batch (or two). Further, why do they need a new mold? Do they really think people will buy non-approved discs? Granted I haven't purchased new wizards in a while but the M's are generally in line with KC's in flexibility.

dx_roc - the mediums are much more firm than any KC produced in the last few years, but are on par with or a little more firm than the stiff 10x/11x.

tbird888 - it is the mediums too. that's why i started this thread.

dx_roc - the mediums are much more firm than any KC produced in the last few years, but are on par with or a little more firm than the stiff 10x/11x.

tbird888 - it is the mediums too. that's why i started this thread.

Yes, it's the Mediums too, but it was G9i that was tested that caused him to stop producing them both.

1) If I break a G9 (or medium, since it's about 50% whether or not these are legal) down enough to "feel" flexible enough to pass, is it still illegal for carrying it?

2) Is ALL gateway medium plastic getting axed? Or just wizards?

3) Mythbusters isn't filming new episodes??? Since when?

4) If we are saying the medium and G9 plastics are illegal, what do you do when you have discs that aren't marked as such? My G9 just says "WIZ" on the bottom, and has the same stamp as RFF's. Tourney Stamped Mediums might not even have it on the bottom either. This whole thing is insane.

Last edited:
I am planning on shopping for some M wizards tomorrow. How much approximate flex (by hand) should I look for to be a legal putter? Any idea?

I am planning on shopping for some M wizards tomorrow. How much approximate flex (by hand) should I look for to be a legal putter? Any idea?

Make sure they fit within this criteria:

(13) have a flexibility rating no greater than 27 lb. (12.25 kg);

Test Methods:
(8) Flexibility - The disc is held on its edge in a vertical position perpendicular to a scale with a precision of at least 2 oz. (56.7 g). The upper rim of the disc is then gradually pressed down within 5 seconds. The flexibility rating is determined at one of two points, depending on how the disc reacts to applied pressure.

For discs that buckle, the flexibility rating corresponds to the point when the maximum weight is registered on the scale. For discs that do not buckle, the rating refers to the weight at the point when the inside rim-to-rim distance is at 50 percent of the disc's diameter. The temperature of the disc is to be no higher than 25 degrees Celsius (77 F) when the test is performed. The ratings of three samples are determined, and the median score is used as the final rating. Discs that are unable to be bent to 50% of their diameters fail the flexibility test. Manufacturers are required to send samples of the most rigid discs they want considered for PDGA approval.

^LOL, sounds easy enough.

agreed. This is going to cause some of the most pointless and ridiculous arguments in PDGA history. Ten years from now (when they figure out a reasonable way to deal with this) we are all gonna be saying......."remember when they outlawed those wizards"......."ya that was stupid"

This is a joke. I just hope nobody on my card has one of these things and I have to play a miserable round because 2 guys get in a dumb argument about it and then nobody speaks to each other for the rest of the round. Yay......

3) Mythbusters isn't filming new episodes??? Since when?

I stand corrected.

Discovery says that new episodes are coming in the Spring. And apparently they are still accepting new "myths." (Although the past few years most of the shows content has been based on debunking viral videos and blowing stuff up)

The way I read it is that it's illegal the moment someone questions it. "Is illegal". That's it. Unless subsequently it's approved by the TD - so you can go get the TD after someone calls you on it and prove him otherwise. Then it's no longer illegal. It doesn't make sense the other way unless people on the card start tracking how many times you threw that disc throughout the round.

The head of the rules committee over on the PDGA forum stated yesterday:

I agree that the rules on questioning an illegal disc or an illegal artificial device should be clarified. The current interpretation I saw is correct: the item is only illegal once the TD says it is.

Kinda.....a disc disc doesn't have to be PDGA approved to use casually.

if there was no structure, there would be no check to mass producing rock-hard light speed drivers that weigh 500 grams. go ahead and stand 100 feet out and to the left of a noob with one of those. i dare ya! the pdga rules do serve a purpose, but finer points can and should always be under review.

Last edited:
if there was no structure, anybody could mass produce rock-hard light speed drivers that weigh 500 grams. go ahead and stand 100 feet out and to the left of a noob with one of those. i dare ya! the pdga rules do serve a purpose, but finer points can and should always be under review.

They still can.....just choose not to

Gateway Ninja anyone?

BTW I used to putt with Firm Wizards....and each company produces discs that would fail the flexibility test....and these are usually the best putters imo.

They still can.....just choose not to

Gateway Ninja anyone?

BTW I used to putt with Firm Wizards....and each company produces discs that would fail the flexibility test....and these are usually the best putters imo.

yup, you quoted me while i was editing the language in my post. it's about discouraging certain designs. i'm a medium wizard thrower, and am of the opinion that when driving them, they are probably the safest disc in flight on the course. while i throw a slow moving putter, some people choose to throw fairway drivers which pack a much more damaging punch.
consider this a vote to rework the language in the pdga disc flexibility rule to include a sliding scale taking into account disc speed and rim configuration.