• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Medium Wizards No Longer PDGA Legal?

yup, you quoted me while i was editing the language in my post. it's about discouraging certain designs. i'm a medium wizard thrower, and am of the opinion that when driving them, they are probably the safest disc in flight on the course. while i throw a slow moving putter, some people choose to throw fairway drivers which pack a much more damaging punch.
consider this a vote to rework the language in the pdga disc flexibility rule to include a sliding scale taking into account disc speed and rim configuration.

Nope....that makes too much sense!....at least if safety is the primary concern.

I am also a habitual post-post editor....so no worries

consider this a vote to rework the language in the pdga disc flexibility rule to include a sliding scale taking into account disc speed and rim configuration.

That sounds like a logical solution, but it makes it even more difficult to make that call in the field.

then simply have it so they don't have to make that judgment call. why not have an up to date downloadable list of approved discs and molds so TDs can access it in the field.

The issue isn't with specific molds, it's specific runs of plastic in otherwise approved molds. A list wouldn't do anything since almost none of the companies have a comprehensive system for marking different runs of discs.

then simply have it so they don't have to make that judgment call. why not have an up to date downloadable list of approved discs and molds so TDs can access it in the field.

The mold may be ok......but not the individual disc...and that is a big part of the problem..

Heck you can make a new mold and just use the same name.....and you don't have to resubmit for PDGA approval.

They send TDs a printed copy of the approved disc list, provided they don't opt out of getting the TD package. And it's available for download from PDGA.com at all times, it just takes the initiative to print it out to have at the course.

And even if a TD has the list, how do they verify that a disc passes the flexibility test? They can't, they don't have the equipment. Therefore I don't think a TD can reasonably declare a disc illegal for failing the flexibility standard. If you have medium Wizards, keep on throwing them.

i'm going to keep on trying. must... save... mediums..!
how about each company must have a flex tester, and every batch much be tested. if it fails, it doesn't go to market. if for some reason they still put it out, BAM! fined.

The PDGA has no control over what discs are produced, only over what's used in sanctioned tournaments. They might have a little more say with discs produced outside of the specs that specifically say PDGA approved on them.

The issue isn't with specific molds, it's specific runs of plastic in otherwise approved molds. A list wouldn't do anything since almost none of the companies have a comprehensive system for marking different runs of discs.

They send TDs a printed copy of the approved disc list, provided they don't opt out of getting the TD package. And it's available for download from PDGA.com at all times, it just takes the initiative to print it out to have at the course.

And even if a TD has the list, how do they verify that a disc passes the flexibility test? They can't, they don't have the equipment. Therefore I don't think a TD can reasonably declare a disc illegal for failing the flexibility standard. If you have medium Wizards, keep on throwing them.
Worried that a TD doesn't have the tools to check for overweight or too stiff discs? Hell, overweight and too stiff discs are just the frosting of the cake.

Say somebody has a Terminator and wiped the stamp. Can anybody identify a Terminator by sight? Anything about the tooling that is different from other Quest discs that would help you identify it as illegal? If there is, how many TD would have even seen a Terminator to even know that? If somebody had a disc with a dye job that was questioned at an event I was running, I'd have to let it go. I'd have no way of knowing what it is.

In short: Not even is a TD powerless to keep approved molds that don't meet a tech spec out of sanctioned play, TD's actually are powerless to keep unapproved discs out of play.

I love stiff wizards as much as the next guy, but if it turns out that G9i/medium wizards are illegal for tourney play grab some stiff softs. If they are banned though, my money is on gateway making them anyway and calling them softs.

Pondering the irony that this is the second time in the past couple months that a putter I own has been declared illegal. Had to replace my Ping extra-long putter because of the PGA's new "no anchoring" rule (I don't anchor the putter, but I DO anchor my left forearm against my chest, which is a violation), and now the G9i that I've only thrown once can't be used in tourney play.

At least the PDGA is just enforcing an existing rule that manufacturers have abused. They really need to have a staff that can test ALL new discs for compliance, rather than just spot-checking them as they have them sent by the manufacturers. The PGA issued a new rule to shut down long putter use :(

That sounds like a logical solution, but it makes it even more difficult to make that call in the field.

If rim width does not translate to disc speed, disregard my post:

$10 caliper + knowledge of rim width/disc speed = ability to judge a disc appropriately by speed if said rule were modified so.

...why is a king, speed 14 the same rim width as a destroyer, speed 12? Different manufacturers, I know. Universal system, what's that?
Discraft uses a different system...always seemed to make more sense.