• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Medium Wizards No Longer PDGA Legal?

The McPro Aviars are as firm as the G9i's too, and Paul has assured us that they pass.

I don't know about that. My friend has two McPros, and when it's a nice warm day, they don't feel all that stiff.

I don't know about that. My friend has two McPros, and when it's a nice warm day, they don't feel all that stiff.

On the 72 degree days we've had around here, mine have stayed fairly stiff. I know that's three degrees short of the target temp, but it's been my experience.

On the 72 degree days we've had around here, mine have stayed fairly stiff. I know that's three degrees short of the target temp, but it's been my experience.

Also, my friend's were both yellow. It could very well be that different colors are different degrees of stiffness since the black ones I felt in the store were pretty stiff.

Not trying to pick a fight, but this is an awfully wimpy post for someone who's screenname indicates badassery. Just sayin.

Well, if PDGA is going to push a rule that's been greatly frowned upon by players, with saftey as a reason, I don't think it is unreasonable to make the comments I did, especially in the light that it's selective enforcement and anyone who has thrown one of the flat 12x Firechickens among many other runs by companies out there knows that they are illegal, but the sanctioning body seems to not act against those with the money to break the rules, I feel that Gateway goes out of it's way to offer affordable tournament stamping and customer service that the bigger companies don't (I have seen Innova botch Inncolor orders on multiple occasions and charge people full price with no refund or time to get other options) and someone should point out the obvious hypocrisy . BTW, saying "not trying to pick a fight" right before you insult someone anonymously on a message board is awfully wimpy, just saying.

I always wondered why they would label so many Wizards 175 when max is 174.3. Oh well, it's not like their weights are accurate.

Discs lose weight as you use them, right? Enough time in the practice basket and field, and they'll make weight!

Discs are more likely to gain rather than lose weight at least for a while due to moisture exposure.

I always wondered why they would label so many Wizards 175 when max is 174.3. Oh well, it's not like their weights are accurate.

yeah when i see 175 i think 182!!! ;) that was only one in hundred but still that is pretty overweight! not 5% but still pretty bad.

There are two ways discs gain water weight. Discs are like a very weak sponge that can gain water in the rain or soaking in it. The other is when a hygroscopic plastic like Nylon is in the blend and pulls it out of the air.

wow 64 pages, has anyone talked about the new judges? I dont throw G9i's but I do use other wizards, the judges are pretty firm.

Jeesh!
This topic is all drama and everyone continues to ignore the posts that give nothing but the straight facts.

The PDGA did nothing more than inform Gateway that there had been complaints that the G9i and Medium Wizards were not passing the flex test. Period.

They didn't say, "they're illegal". They didn't tell Gateway to stop making them. They didn't penalize them - didn't even give them a warning. They just wanted to give Gateway a "heads-up" in a friendly fashion.

Anything else anyone says beyond that is just drama.

Jeesh!
This topic is all drama and everyone continues to ignore the posts that give nothing but the straight facts.

The PDGA did nothing more than inform Gateway that there had been complaints that the G9i and Medium Wizards were not passing the flex test. Period.

They didn't say, "they're illegal". They didn't tell Gateway to stop making them. They didn't penalize them - didn't even give them a warning. They just wanted to give Gateway a "heads-up" in a friendly fashion.

Anything else anyone says beyond that is just drama.

Gateway can produce anything they want, most disc golf is not done in sanctioned tourneys. But for those of us who play sanctioned tourneys the problem is that you could be called for using an against the rules (illegal) disc in tournament play. if your disc is overweight (illegal) then it is against the rules to use it in sanctioned play. If it doesn't meet the flex test (illegal) it is against the rules to use it in play. That is where the drama comes from. People (myself included) are frustrated that the pdga sets these standards, and manufacturers break them and either get caught or not, and then we as players will be the ones to pay the consequence if the legality of a disc is ever brought up during tourney play.

Gateway can produce anything they want, most disc golf is not done in sanctioned tourneys. But for those of us who play sanctioned tourneys the problem is that you could be called for using an against the rules (illegal) disc in tournament play. if your disc is overweight (illegal) then it is against the rules to use it in sanctioned play. If it doesn't meet the flex test (illegal) it is against the rules to use it in play. That is where the drama comes from. People (myself included) are frustrated that the pdga sets these standards, and manufacturers break them and either get caught or not, and then we as players will be the ones to pay the consequence if the legality of a disc is ever brought up during tourney play.

Excellent points. :thmbup: This is what this discussion should be about. Having standards and regulations in a competetive environment is important.

I was directing what I said towards those who have overexaggerated the interaction between the PDGA and Gateway. The posts are scattered throughout the thread, so I see how it could look like I was replying to posts directly above mine - which I wasn't. I did use the words "this thread is ALL drama..." which was a poor choice of words. My bad.

Excellent points. :thmbup: This is what this discussion should be about. Having standards and regulations in a competetive environment is important.

I was directing what I said towards those who have overexaggerated the interaction between the PDGA and Gateway. The posts are scattered throughout the thread, so I see how it could look like I was replying to posts directly above mine - which I wasn't. I did use the words "this thread is ALL drama..." which was a poor choice of words. My bad.

:thmbup: This guy right here is really talking about the issue at hand.

I love Medium Wizards. DO NOT ILLEGALIZE THEM