• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Mud Run - through our course!

Sadjo

* Ace Member *
One of our local courses now has flagging every 10 feet or so cutting across fairways, along fairways and right down the middle of the fairway. None of the local players new what the flagging was for.

I called the Park and Rec director and found out they're building a 3.2 mile "Mud Run" course right through the Disc Golf Course. I was told it wouldn't have any effect on the course.

This course is 18 holes on 12 acres of woods. The heavy woods is what allows us to fit 18 holes in the 12 acres. When they 'plow' through the course to build their 10' wide Mud Run trail they're going to be taking out several sections of trees that buffer one fairway from another. Let alone the mud pits that will be building into their trail.

The first scheduled Mud Run is in May which means the trees will be knocked down soon and means the course will be in shambles.

Suggestions?

Bull $hit!!! Get yourself some gators (the reptile not the disc) let them loose in the mud that will teach em.

Wow man seems kinda discourteous...sucks for anyone who likes rollers

If you can show that the mud run ruins golf maybe they'll be open to pulling the dg course and moving it to another park?

Mud run?!? Wtf is wrong with people? Why tear up trees, grass, shrubs etc to run thru the mud like a drunk redneck?!? I would think the risk of injuries goes up drastically when compared to running on a sidewalk, grass or trails. Furthermore, I'm sure South Carolina has plenty of places where people in jacked-up trucks and jeeps go 'muddin', so why not use a parcell of earth which is mud already instead of tearing up trees and good earth?!?

I though I lived on the redneck rivera, but SC might have me beat, lol

Man that sucks dude. It's bad enough when people ride 4 wheelers on the fairways at Johnson Street Park and you have to wait 15 minutes to tee off.

And most parks departments are more worried about the land destruction and erosiont hat disc golf courses cause . . . throw in a mud run and watch the muddy rivers flow the eroded soil to the closest surface water! Too bad . . . and I have no suggestions for you sorry about that.

People do this **** with all sorts of vehicles at Flat Rock....right after a rain....and they tear up the beautiful grass....and run over teepads(coughcoughhole18) and put a crack in it....

Cool, let's destroy and take advantage of what could be one of the top public courses in the southeast.

Mud run?!? Wtf is wrong with people? Why tear up trees, grass, shrubs etc to run thru the mud like a drunk redneck?!? I would think the risk of injuries goes up drastically when compared to running on a sidewalk, grass or trails. ...

You might have a case with the 'safety of the course residents'. Bring up liability insurance with the run as well as flying discs with no trees. Also, erosion problems would cost the city more $$$.

Last edited:
Move to the proper Carolina, that's all I can tell you. :|

It will be for runnin' through the mud...not with vehicles.

The property that is owned by the city is more than 50 acres. The course sits on 12 of those so it doesn't make sense.

I thought about protesting those plans but I would be walking a fine line. The city has given me sponsorship to events and has awarded me grants to expand the sport to the tune of close to $15,000 over the past four or five years. I want to keep that money coming un every year.

My biggest issue is with all the other undeveloped land...the run should go through that area. One the plus side we might get access to part of the undeveloped property. Its thick woods and could cause problems with getting a couse built and installed in those thick woods.

Suggestions?

Support your local private courses.

Ah, this story is all-too-familiar with parks departments. Not necessarily a mud run---that may be a first---but the respect the courses get.

Sounds like typical ****ting all over disc golf. What a horrible reason. :(

Have you asked why they chose this area? Go speak with the parks department and present them with an alternative. Explain how this will adversely affect the course, bring up safety issues, etc. Show them all the negative results and then present them with an alternative. When I say present an alternative, I am saying to design a mud run in a different location.

Be proactive!

I would bring up the soil erosion issue, unless they plan to re-sod after the mud run, those areas are going to be washed out pretty good. There are building codes all over the place required for keep soil erosion to a minimum, perhaps that might help you some?

When I called and asked what the flags were for the first thing he said was 'this won't effect the course' like he knew we would protest. I live 10 miles away and work in another state. This course has always been looked after by other club members.

I'll keep on talking with them and see what can be done. We've always been second class citizens but presistent...maybe we can get more funding for other projects as compensation.

I would get the local players and media involved. Once outraged people start sending some calls the parks department's way, they might reconsider.

I'm sorry, I'm a confused Yankee.

What the **** is a "mud run?"

A trail of mud that you run through? Why?

Jukeshoe: <---Totally baffled.

Latest posts