• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread) (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watermelon Alias. It's the worst food in the world, but sure looks tasty. :D

Revised opinions after two rounds today. I shot 54 and 55 and just for reference in non winter conditions there I shot a 97 to best the open division by three.

Alias: Still can't decide if it is more or less HSS than an axis. I'm backing off a bit on it being more. Right now i think it may be a touch less HSS, but then after high speed turn phase it holds a laser line like a tangent. Also I think it is a bit more OAT resistant than axis as it has that sleek tangent esque profile.

Envy: Really nice OS to straight putter. For me fits right in between a wizzard and zone. I'd say it has the same HSS as an average Tensor with less glide and thus more dump. The blue and red rim combo that I have is just so easy to find against the snow it mad me laugh a few times. I think two color discs really will be a game changer in terms of not losing discs.

Servo: in just a few rounds my heavy Servo is just about taken the volt as my favorite disc in my bag. It is essentially a volt that works better for tighter lines. If your in the woods Servo. More open, volt. I only have a tiny gap now between servo and axis, which I think I can fill with a lighter servo.

Had a lot of fun playing in the snow today. Nothing better than just rolling right through the crappy season and my bag has never felt better.

I really like the sound of the Servo...a tighter Volt and maybe a touch less fade is exactly what I was hoping for. Now I have to order one. Think I may go with 172 since it will be about middle of the pack on weight (maybe slightly on the heavier side, but this is about where I keep all my driver weights)

After getting that surprise mail from MVP/Axiom folks today, I went straight to open field and threw both for an hour or so.

Bottom line is that Axiom description of those new discs are pretty much spot on.

The big thing about Envy is the inside edge of rim is straight compare with curved inner edge of Ion/Anode. The straight inner edge is more comfy with power grip thus making it a good driving putter. With Ion/Anode I would prefer using fan grip.

For one disc round, it is going to be Envy for sure because it is more predictable (due to slower disc which is more unforgiving of thrower's slight errors) and it can holds any lines for me.

My best throws distance-wise are 265 feet with Envy and 275 feet with Alias. Seems in line with my throws of Servo/Amp/Volt between 290 to 310 and then up to 320 to 330 for distance drivers (D3/Tern/Sword).

Envy: Comfy to throw with power grip. I can throw it straight, long/high anhyzer lines that goes straight to the ground, nice hyzers. I would say Envy is bit more OS and hair less glide than Ion. Envy would take the place of driving putter for sure and some of approaches from Ion. I would love to have soft Neutron/Proton version of Envy. As for forehand (I still got OAT'ness in my forehand), it takes very well for touch forehands, but I have trouble throwing Envy with full power forehands where my Servo/Zone/Resistor/Volt have no problem eating some of my FH's OATs. Envy fly good if I FH'd with medium power cleanly (clearly better than Alias/Tangent/Axis/Vector which are more sensitive to OAT). I will definitely do plenty of 1 disc rounds with Envy to get to know that disc lot more, esp with driving and approaches. I have not throw Pig and Rhyno in ages but other testers said Envy is in similar class as those disc which make sense, but Zone is much more beefy than Envy for sure and Zone can eat lot of OAT esp from OAT'y FH like I have. So Envy is more like all purpose slightly OS driving/approach putter. As for putting, it is not so bad. Just need some bit of dialing in. Would said hair bit more fade and hair bit less glide than my soft N Ion. As for "Lid-like", well, when threw medium anny lines and it floats down to a ground like UFO so I guess that is what Axiom folks said.

Alias: Pretty much more stable Tangent. Throwing side by side with Tangent, it is similar speed and glide, just bit more stable so it is good compliment with Tangent where you don't want turn then use Alias. Grip-wise it feels same as Tangent as it has similar inner edge as Envy which is good for power grip driving.
For me, not easy to FH Alias/Tangent, only for touch FH, not full power FH. But Tensor can take my full power FH quite better. For those who have more power I think Axis would fly further than Alias due to bit more speed and bit more glide. At my power level, it is not much diff between Axis/Alias most of time so it may make sense for me to have mid line up of Tangent, Alias and Tensor. I still like Axis and Vector cause I have been throwing them since they came out.

Well done MVP/Axiom folks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 25
I really like the sound of the Servo...a tighter Volt and maybe a touch less fade is exactly what I was hoping for. Now I have to order one. Think I may go with 172 since it will be about middle of the pack on weight (maybe slightly on the heavier side, but this is about where I keep all my driver weights)

Loving my Servos. Yeah it takes some shots from my Volts/Amps esp with tighter gaps and lines and even takes some shots from Axis/Vector as well. Very happy that Servo is working well with my FHs.

Profile of Envy/Alias:

One thing I noticed when holding a Servo the first time is how good it felt in the hand. Volt feels good, but Servo felt better, to me at least.

Lots of comments about the Envy feeling good as well. Is is something like I described above where Ion feels good but Envy feels better?

I've recently changed my putting stance and have had embraced the Ion. While I've improved driving with the Ion, I still get some OAT now and then, which I suspect is due to the deeper rim and not getting a clean release as it rips out. Envy sounds like it might help with that by being a little shallower. Very intriguing.

Really seeing some good results with flicks with the Ion as of late too. Dying to check these two discs out. Is it obvious I'm not real patient when it comes to new releases? ;)

I would love to use Ion as a putter, but I need something more grippy than what MVP currently offers. What are the closest discs physically from other manufacturers? I know some people compare it to Ion, but not sure are they talking about physical dimensions or flight.

try a wizard. i believe they took gyroscopic affect into account when designing them as well. youll have several degrees of grip available as well

I would love to use Ion as a putter, but I need something more grippy than what MVP currently offers. What are the closest discs physically from other manufacturers? I know some people compare it to Ion, but not sure are they talking about physical dimensions or flight.

I used to feel the same as you and used a Yeti Pro Aviar. The Neutron Plastic was a little slick for me initially. The Soft Protons feel pretty good, and I think, get better with age.

Overall though, the Ion is much more versatile than the Yeti and I've enjoyed having more glide. I'd say stick with it and try to season one up (if you haven't already) and you might be surprised. Got a soft eclipse Ion recently that feels super grippy new, so don't give up!

The Envy feels a lot better in a FH grip to me than the Ion, locks into place better. It will definitely be taking some of my FH approach shots away from the Ion. I also see this being a backhand go to on those shorter 150-300' holes. I love driving my Ions in that range but this disc would be more consistent in a mild headwind or crosswind. It's been about 4 years since I've thrown Rhynos but they remind me of how they flew for me. I've thrown a Jokeri a few times too and I think its a little less dumpy on the fade, a touch more glide. More OS than the PA1 and PA2.

Jouni: IMO the grippiest Ions are the soft opaque plastics. They are a little harder to come by but are worth it for a putting putter. I use more easily replaceable Ions for driving. Closest disc to a baseline Ion at the moment is probably the Wizard. Used to use them before I switched to Ions.

I love black discs, but they're just so darn hard to find once you throw them, so I've always liked to throw a black putter to be able to keep one in the bag. Love the black Neutron Anodes and Ion, but have been much more comfortable with the "softs" as of late. Tried to find a nice black S Neutron, but no luck. So, I decided I'd experiment tonight....

I took a light pink Proton Soft Ion and bathed it in black dye for the better part of 90 minutes. Left the stamp on, and couldn't be happier with the result. It's a Stealth Ion!

Held up to an exposed lightbulb it has this really cool, deep black cherry color to it. But, without that light behind it, it looks solid black like a soft neutron.

I'm sure I'm not the first to do this, but just love the result, and wanted to share. Just another testament to how elegant and beautiful these discs truly are, I believe.

12005676803_f340ff43c7.jpg

The Envy feels a lot better in a FH grip to me than the Ion, locks into place better. It will definitely be taking some of my FH approach shots away from the Ion. I also see this being a backhand go to on those shorter 150-300' holes. I love driving my Ions in that range but this disc would be more consistent in a mild headwind or crosswind. It's been about 4 years since I've thrown Rhynos but they remind me of how they flew for me. I've thrown a Jokeri a few times too and I think its a little less dumpy on the fade, a touch more glide. More OS than the PA1 and PA2.

Jouni: IMO the grippiest Ions are the soft opaque plastics. They are a little harder to come by but are worth it for a putting putter. I use more easily replaceable Ions for driving. Closest disc to a baseline Ion at the moment is probably the Wizard. Used to use them before I switched to Ions.

I recently got a soft N ion from AIM and the grip is much better. Too bad they are so tough to find?

I love black discs, but they're just so darn hard to find once you throw them, so I've always liked to throw a black putter to be able to keep one in the bag. Love the black Neutron Anodes and Ion, but have been much more comfortable with the "softs" as of late. Tried to find a nice black S Neutron, but no luck. So, I decided I'd experiment tonight....

I took a light pink Proton Soft Ion and bathed it in black dye for the better part of 90 minutes. Left the stamp on, and couldn't be happier with the result. It's a Stealth Ion!

Held up to an exposed lightbulb it has this really cool, deep black cherry color to it. But, without that light behind it, it looks solid black like a soft neutron.

I'm sure I'm not the first to do this, but just love the result, and wanted to share. Just another testament to how elegant and beautiful these discs truly are, I believe.

12005676803_f340ff43c7.jpg
nice job. I just wish that stamp could be removed. That would be much easier than trying to find a blank. And that would look good as a ghost stamp too.

nice job. I just wish that stamp could be removed. That would be much easier than trying to find a blank. And that would look good as a ghost stamp too.

I know, right? Their stamps are always ghosted on that plastic-even on proton you can still read the text clearly after removal.

Then again, I'm just salty after losing a no-stamp sparkly tangent. Bought another stock fleck one and quit after one word once I realized it just wasn't going to be even close. The no stamp sparkly ones look so classy. Something about the simplicity. :wall: way to go, Cody. Throw some more down the valley.

Wait... ive never been able to remove an MVP stamp. I was saying that disc would look straight dope if the stamp was removed after it was dyed. Pink ghost stamp. I always try to buy blanks because they are just so damn sexy. And I understand branding but when I first got my first run blank Volt people would see it and ask "that's the new driver version of my putter right?" Even if it said Volt all over it it would be recognized the same. They are golf discs not basketball shoes. The overmold is the swoosh. Please make more blanks.

Wait... ive never been able to remove an MVP stamp. I was saying that disc would look straight dope if the stamp was removed after it was dyed. Pink ghost stamp. I always try to buy blanks because they are just so damn sexy. And I understand branding but when I first got my first run blank Volt people would see it and ask "that's the new driver version of my putter right?" Even if it said Volt all over it it would be recognized the same. They are golf discs not basketball shoes. The overmold is the swoosh. Please make more blanks.

oh.

yeah, they can be removed. my profile pic is a white neutron axis i dyed after wiping the stamp. the blanks are very stylish, i agree. just so simple, and the overmold contrasts the color so well.

Status
Not open for further replies.