• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread) (Part III)

Status
Not open for further replies.
On another topic to my above post, how have people found Photons to fly in different plastic? I love my particle-wave Photon, but I'm looking for something to fill the gap between it and a Phase, and it and and my Wave.

Photons in various weights and plastics fill a wide range of stability. I bag three - 144 Fission for turns or long lines with late fade, a 173 Neutron for reliable straight D with forward fade and a 174 Proton that is stable-overstable. I have a Particle Wave, but haven't thrown it. Assuming it flies like other Neutrons, then try a Proton in similar weight to your N.

That does help. How are the theory and the proxy different. The chief seems pretty similar to the proxy in hand. Maybe a hair more US.

The Theory and Proxy fly similarly - reliable high speed stability and dead straight finish. Theory is 13mm, Proxy is 10mm, so the Theory can handle lower lines with slight extra distance potential.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but my fingernail can gouge the edge of most plastic discs. It is after all only plastic. I can also make a mark in Oak, Ash, or Hickory with my fingernail and they're considered dense hardwoods.

I'm not talking about making an indention or a mark, I'm saying that I can physically remove bits and pieces of plastic. I can't do this with any of my other premium plastic discs, not even my other mvp/axiom discs.

Maybe it's a weird batch of overmold material or maybe they use a slightly different formula for their high speed drivers. Maybe what I'm noticing is completely a result of the rim being sharper/thinner. I don't know.

Just sharing my thoughts and the top responses are that it must be my first new disc or I don't know the difference between the words 'indent' and 'remove'.

Congrats on your healthy fingernails.

Last edited:
All kidding aside, not really sure how you're able to do that to your overmold. The plastic should be tougher than that. It could be an abnormally soft one though. Who knows.

Either way, let us know how you like the flight, since that's what is most important.

GOUGE verb
make (a groove, hole, or indentation) with or as if with a gouge.
"the channel had been gouged out by the ebbing water"
synonyms: scoop, hollow, excavate

Ok now I am being a dick :)

Did you just use the word "gouge" to describe the word "gouge"? Hahahahahaha awesoooooooome.

gouge (n)- A gougey, gouge-like formation, often in the shape of a gouge, with or as if with a gouge. Gouge.
"The gougey gouge gouged a gouge."

On another topic to my above post, how have people found Photons to fly in different plastic? I love my particle-wave Photon, but I'm looking for something to fill the gap between it and a Phase, and it and and my Wave.

Beat up 160-166g neutron fly much less OS. Little high speed turn and the fade goes away. Proton photons are OS but go damn far.

So keep throwing that particle wave (those are my beat ones now being early runs) and just add in new protons. Give that neutron a little love on s teepad. Love my seasoned neutron photon. One of the straightest 12 speed discs ive thrown now that beat up its crazy just flips to flat and takes off with a FW fade.

Got one of those bright green protons yesterday, but being a tourney day I didn't throw it yet.

As for the fingernail discussion, I have seen a couple MVP discs over the last couple months that had some flashing, on the leading edge of the over mold, that would flake off when raked by a fingernail. If this is what he was referring too, its no big deal.

That does help. How are the theory and the proxy different. The chief seems pretty similar to the proxy in hand. Maybe a hair more US.

Proxy is much more HSS (probably straightest disc ive thrown off the shelf) vs theory which will turn specially at lower weights vs max. Most glide of any MVP disc.

Here are 2 proxy throws vs envy/ion. All hyzer shots but you can see the proxy hold into the wind and hardly fade out while envy and ion both landed well left and needed a wider line. No good theory video just 1 shot at end of random throws. I should do one vs tangent.

Got one of those bright green protons yesterday, but being a tourney day I didn't throw it yet.

As for the fingernail discussion, I have seen a couple MVP discs over the last couple months that had some flashing, on the leading edge of the over mold, that would flake off when raked by a fingernail. If this is what he was referring too, its no big deal.

Yeah i actually just trimmed an entire photon with my nail lol. Its like a peice of hair sitting on the wing edge really not a big deal at all vs flashing on bottom rim edges which hurt when you throw. Ive never seen that on MVP discs only PLH mark along injection points of overmold. The high speed drivers in my experience are holding up just fine. My orbitals would be down to just the core from all the roller action.

Well id rather have that over the only innova proshop disc i bought last year which came and looked like it was trimmed with design scissors by a small child. It wasnt even a circle anymore........ That straight runs a disc. The 12 speeds have s really sharp wing edge too not much space on parting line like some other drivers i have here across lat/dc/innova

Flashing on edge of the overmold is more common in MVP discs. I've seen it on a few drivers, including the Photon. But I drilled a couple trees right off the tee with my Orbital last round, and nary a mark was seen. Like all MVP's they take a beating, and keep on ticking.

I've seen some pretty serious damage on the overmold. I can't say I've seen a change in flight though.

I've seen some pretty serious damage on the overmold. I can't say I've seen a change in flight though.

About the third day I used a circuit Relay I shanked it into an industrial building and hit exposed I beam with it.
Took two nice chunks out of the rim... plastic vs steel, you know.
Zero difference in flight from my other Relay.

been messing with a 150 plasma ion the last few days for longer putts. holy smokes. i may have a new weapon to my bag. it just goes and very little effort to get it to the chains. gonna give this little guy a run and maybe toss a big brother in there to try to putt with. never putted with the ions i went straight to anodes back in the day.

Yeah i actually just trimmed an entire photon with my nail lol. Its like a peice of hair sitting on the wing edge really not a big deal at all vs flashing on bottom rim edges which hurt when you throw. Ive never seen that on MVP discs only PLH mark along injection points of overmold. The high speed drivers in my experience are holding up just fine. My orbitals would be down to just the core from all the roller action.

I have had MVP with flashing almost at the bottom edge that was uncomfortable. Not quite painful like you mentioned other brands often have, but it definitely needed to be removed.

Mostly just the easily removed flashing on the overmold though

Proxy is much more HSS (probably straightest disc ive thrown off the shelf) vs theory which will turn specially at lower weights vs max. Most glide of any MVP disc.

Here are 2 proxy throws vs envy/ion. All hyzer shots but you can see the proxy hold into the wind and hardly fade out while envy and ion both landed well left and needed a wider line. No good theory video just 1 shot at end of random throws. I should do one vs tangent.

To clarify I meant the chief seemed like it would be more US judging by how it flys compared to what I heard about the proxy.

I bought a theory today and holy cow it glides. I can see it replacing what I use a beat chief for. It seems ideal for those finesse shots where you don't have a lot of room or you want a slow flight. Just depends which one will be more consistent as the chief can be somewhat picky. (When its on I can get it to find metal on staright putter drives, but it is pretty sensitive).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts