• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

MVP Disc Sports - Official Thread

I've got a 174 & 175 red Ion coming from Clearwater Disc Golf Store. Looking forward to working with these. I got to try one out not too long ago.. I too, don't normally used premium plastic for putters but the rim seemed to be the clincher for me. We'll see how it goes... I'll give it a fair shake.

Anybody else entering the logo contest for the ION? Looking forward to seeing the top 5 entries!!

Marauder said:
I've got a 174 & 175 red Ion coming from Clearwater Disc Golf Store. Looking forward to working with these. I got to try one out not too long ago.. I too, don't normally used premium plastic for putters but the rim seemed to be the clincher for me. We'll see how it goes... I'll give it a fair shake.

Anybody else entering the logo contest for the ION? Looking forward to seeing the top 5 entries!!

I'll take those off your hands if you don't like them.

peppermack said:
I've got 6 Ions waiting for me at home when I get back from SoCal!

I have a feeling that you are going to be using the Ion/VP combo (as I may be if we ever get the VPs in).

peppermack said:
I've got 6 Ions waiting for me at home when I get back from SoCal!
crashedintothemountain.jpg

I picked up a 174g mint green Ion today and I have to say I'm impressed. I gave it about an hours worth of putting/approach practice and it held up very well. I was comparing it to my D Focus/Soft Banger GT and it performed very well.

For putting this thing is crazy. The rim acts like glue on the chains, even when practicing on a Mach Lite, which is prone to blow-throughs. The Ion cut down on these immensely. This disc also has less low speed fade than banger/focus, which for my putting style is great.

For approach work it did rather well. It saw about the same flights as my banger/ focus, but with more glide and less low speed fade. The thing I liked most for drive/ approach work with this disc is the grip. The rim fits my mid-range grip that I use much better. The thickness of the rim compared to other putters helps a lot.

The only thing that I could see improving is if they could use the same texture that is on the inside of the rim on the top. The slick top is maybe a bit too slick for my tastes, or I may just need to get used to it.

Thumbs up so far. I'll be using it as my main putter.

Waddly Hobbins said:
I picked up a 174g mint green Ion today and I have to say I'm impressed. I gave it about an hours worth of putting/approach practice and it held up very well. I was comparing it to my D Focus/Soft Banger GT and it performed very well.

For putting this thing is crazy. The rim acts like glue on the chains, even when practicing on a Mach Lite, which is prone to blow-throughs. The Ion cut down on these immensely. This disc also has less low speed fade than banger/focus, which for my putting style is great.

For approach work it did rather well. It saw about the same flights as my banger/ focus, but with more glide and less low speed fade. The thing I liked most for drive/ approach work with this disc is the grip. The rim fits my mid-range grip that I use much better. The thickness of the rim compared to other putters helps a lot.

The only thing that I could see improving is if they could use the same texture that is on the inside of the rim on the top. The slick top is maybe a bit too slick for my tastes, or I may just need to get used to it.

Thumbs up so far. I'll be using it as my main putter.

Looks like another DGCR crossover! Welcome to DGR where stupid (non informative, wrong, or unfunny) comments just don't fly! (I'm at a school where the filters won't let me use smileys...imagine a laughing smiley:) Good Ion review. I've yet to hear anyone try one and not really like it, especially for driving/approaches.

if i ever have the money to grab some ions, will they boot out my wizs? i have some OAT problems with my wizards every now and then too.

For you Wizard guys in this thread, how smooth was the transition to the Ion? I like the stability of my Wizards but sometimes wish they wouldn't drop quite as fast. Sound like the Ion?

The Ion is quicker than the Wizard...not so much faster, but more nimble in its directional capabilities. It does carry farther than most Wizards and is a little straighter out of the box. It also flies better on lower lines (doesn't drop as fast), but can be thrown high as well. For putting it really depends on your style. With some good pop and spin the Ion can fly low without dropping. It is too flexible to be a good drop/push putter imo.

I was the odd-man-out last night in our doubles league, so I go to play Cali. I used an SSS Magic and the Ion all evening, using the Magic for upshots and the Ion for putting. There were some putts that I made that the Ion really stuck, where normally the shot would graze off. Pretty impressive- it really grabbed chains.

On upshots where I took a second shot, the Ion seemed to go a bit farther than the Magic with the same amount of power. YMMV.

discspeed said:
The Ion is quicker than the Wizard...not so much faster, but more nimble in its directional capabilities. It does carry farther than most Wizards and is a little straighter out of the box. It also flies better on lower lines (doesn't drop as fast), but can be thrown high as well. For putting it really depends on your style. With some good pop and spin the Ion can fly low without dropping. It is too flexible to be a good drop/push putter imo.

This. I throw wizards primarily and this is dead on. The Ion is also easier to power grip.

discspeed said:

Are you using your voodoos for anything anymore? I had a light FR Ion for a bit but I never got a good feel for it for putting because of the premium plastic. I've got a couple more heavier Ions on the way and I'm looking forward to trying them out but I doubt I'll like to actually putt with them due to the same issue.

Frank Delicious said:
discspeed said:

This. I throw wizards primarily and this is dead on. The Ion is also easier to power grip.

While the chances of it booting my Wizards are slim, I guess I'll have to try one anyway. :roll: Plastic whorin' ain't easy.

what'shisname said:
discspeed said:

Are you using your voodoos for anything anymore? I had a light FR Ion for a bit but I never got a good feel for it for putting because of the premium plastic. I've got a couple more heavier Ions on the way and I'm looking forward to trying them out but I doubt I'll like to actually putt with them due to the same issue.

I'm still doing most of my putting with my Organic Voodoos. I tried the Ions for a couple weeks, but I just couldn't get used to the premium plastic feel. I like the Ions for unusual putts...outside the circle, hyzer, anhyzer, and wind, however, I prefer the Voodoos for touch putts inside the circle and wholeheartedly when wet. My Voodoo is a little straighter on putts than my Ion as it is breaking in. I also think that the premium plastic Ion has a slightly higher cruising speed...unnoticeable on upshots and drives, but noticeable on short putts. I was missing 20'ers that were dropping hard because I really finesse them in with my Voodoo. So I found myself jamming in from short distances, which didn't feel natural and resulting in some cut throughs and other plastic vs. metal situations I'm not used to. I feel like I could float my Voodoo in from 15-20' with no effort at all, and I can grip it very lightly because of the super grip.

discspeed said:
It is too flexible to be a good drop/push putter imo.
They are finishing up a few things at the shop and we hope to be ready to run our Medium Proton plastic early next week! I feel that this Soft proton plastic in our first/second run, along with this Medium Proton plastic, will compliment each other very well. I will be keeping everyone up to date on all progress made!

I don't remember where I heard this, but thought I that I heard the Softs bounce too much off of objects? I was surprised to hear that because after finally getting some serious testing with some of the second runs this spring break, I found that to be very false...maybe I am seeing things..? I was amazed to see if I hit a tree when driving with it, it would absorb a TON of the impact and not kick off to the side and fly into the woods like most discs would do. Same goes with putting, if I fell short on a putt it would just hit the cage and the flexibility just deadened the impact and fell straight down. In addition to this, the soft grippy Electron plastic on the edge further reduces bouncing. What are some of your experiences with this?

And of course, I am looking forward to our Medium Proton plastic run as I prefer a firmer putter on my shorter putts myself, but love the flexibility of our Softs for longer approaches and drives. Everyone has their preferences on what feels right for them. Thats why down the road after our Medium and Softs are being mass produced...we hope to start prototyping some stuff that will broaden our line up... but that is going to be kept secret for now.

The Electron overmold simply put is performing outstanding! I could not be more pleased with how effective the grippy overmold is literally grabbing hold of the chains and NOT letting go. I have yet to have any cut throughs or bounce outs for that matter. The durability of the overmold is GREAT! Granted I havent been using my Ion nearly as much as most have been.. so any issues with durability being seen?

At any rate, I am glad to hear all of the great feedback coming in! If there are any questions feel free to shoot em! Also, dont forget about the Hotstamp Contest! We have already recieved a handful of submissions and look forward to more!

Thanks
~Chad

Worm 28 said:
The Electron overmold simply put is performing outstanding! I could not be more pleased with how effective the grippy overmold is literally grabbing hold of the chains and NOT letting go. I have yet to have any cut throughs or bounce outs for that matter. The durability of the overmold is GREAT! Granted I havent been using my Ion nearly as much as most have been.. so any issues with durability being seen?

I will have to agree with that.

I've had bounce outs and cut through with my Ions but I only use my first runs for 50'+ jump putts so that probably has something to do with it. Durability is great but the flight plates on both my first run Ions are starting to sink a little.

Worm 28 said:
I don't remember where I heard this, but thought I that I heard the Softs bounce too much off of objects? I was surprised to hear that because after finally getting some serious testing with some of the second runs this spring break, I found that to be very false...maybe I am seeing things..? I was amazed to see if I hit a tree when driving with it, it would absorb a TON of the impact and not kick off to the side and fly into the woods like most discs would do. Same goes with putting, if I fell short on a putt it would just hit the cage and the flexibility just deadened the impact and fell straight down. In addition to this, the soft grippy Electron plastic on the edge further reduces bouncing. What are some of your experiences with this?

I 100% agree with this...and I've probably driven 100s of times with my Ions by now. I have been messing around and throwing the Ion VERY hard, and I've never seen it bounce more than 20-30' away from the tree it hit. Most of the time it flies less than 10. The outer ring absorbs shock like nothing I've seen. Not only does it absorb the shock from the collision with objects, but it seems to absorb any rebound shock from the inner plastic as well. I'd like to see dyed Ion because then you could see how the spin just stops when it collides with something.

Worm 28 said:

I also agree that the overmold grabs chains and basket and absorbs shock there just as it does against trees. I too am looking forward to the medium protons as they may be what I'm looking for to putt with inside the circle. I think that you somewhere compared the durability of the overmold to star...I'd go one better and compare it to Champion/Z/Opto. The Ions are really durable. My first one that has seen the most use by far I believe has broken in slightly...It seems to flip up just slightly now on harder throws, and fly even straighter on long approaches. Great work! I haven't had so much fun throwing a putter since the original "gummy" Qmegas came out in like '04...and the Ions are even better than those.

When you guys first came here and announced your ideas I was skeptical. I thought that you had some interesting ideas, but I imagined more of a learning curve and a lot of substandard protos before you guys produced something that felt and flew the way you imagined. At best I thought it would result in just another putter. I had no idea that the Ion would be so unique in feel and flight and so dynamic performancewise. The closest thing out now to the Ion is the HPP Voodoo, and I have one, and the Ion simply outperforms it in every way...

Worm 28 said:
They are finishing up a few things at the shop and we hope to be ready to run our Medium Proton plastic early next week! I feel that this Soft proton plastic in our first/second run, along with this Medium Proton plastic, will compliment each other very well. I will be keeping everyone up to date on all progress made!

What is the medium plastic going to be like? Stiff and durable like KC Rocs? Something like that?