• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

MVP Disc Sports - Official Thread

I noticed some people are having problems with the ion in the wind. Anybody else have trouble? I haven't really had any trouble, but I still haven't played in wind over 15-20mph.

The Ion has been fine for me in light and moderate winds. I haven't used it in heavy winds and really, there are hardly any putters that perform well in heavy winds.

Frank Delicious said:
The Ion has been fine for me in light and moderate winds. I haven't used it in heavy winds and really, there are hardly any putters that perform well in heavy winds.

100% agree. The Ion works as well for me in the wind as any other putter I've ever thrown that had a hint of glide.

discspeed said:
Frank Delicious said:

100% agree. The Ion works as well for me in the wind as any other putter I've ever thrown that had a hint of glide.

With the testing I have done, I feel the same. With the ION being a stable-straight driving putter, it can handle your most everyday breeze just fine, even with a few gusts... the added plastic around the outside makes the disc very gyroscopic allowing the ION to hold a line with less resistance to the wind turning it. However, this is a straight-stable accurate putter, not a predator, so I wouldn't try to be driving this into a 25+ mile hour headwind.

We have successfully begun molding our Medium Proton plastic cores! We are going to continue to keep running them so we have enough in stock to get ready to run the Electron plastic overmold on them. If all goes according to plan, we should have the Medium IONs ready within a few weeks!

We are still receiving more artwork everyday for the hotstamp too! Thanks everyone so far and good luck to everyone else who participates! Remember, final submission date is April 1st (hehe) and then the voting will begin shortly after.

If there are any questions shout out

Thanks everyone!
~Chad

I got to work with my Ion out on the course a bit more today. I was yet again impressed with the performance of this disc. I was happy to see that even when I missed a put, it would hit the basket and seemingly drop dead and lay right under the basket.

Now for something that I don't think I've seen posted before. I have noticed that this disc handles being thrown nose up very well. I had to throw a drive up a large hill I noticed that it lacked any harsh fade most discs would have from being released at this angle and it left me with an easy birdie. Later on there was another short hole that requires a sweeping anhyzer. I botched my release angle leaving it too level but with still tons of height. I watched in horror, thinking it was going to fade out and go into the thick woods to the left. Instead, the Ion seem to hold its line with the most minimal fade as it came down leaving me with a long putt...which the Ion performed on beautifully.

I am definately going to pick up another one of these babies.

I will be watching MVP discs very closely to see what the future holds for this company.

As for questions:

Any new colors? I would like a neon orange or neon pink. I am kicking myself because I saw a white one at GGGT and when I went back it was gone.

What other kind of discs are being planned? Drivers, Mids, Fairways, other putters? Will the other discs have unusual characteristics like the overmold technology, or is that something that only the putters will have?

Waddly Hobbins said:
As for questions:

Any new colors? I would like a neon orange or neon pink. I am kicking myself because I saw a white one at GGGT and when I went back it was gone.

What other kind of discs are being planned? Drivers, Mids, Fairways, other putters? Will the other discs have unusual characteristics like the overmold technology, or is that something that only the putters will have?
As for new colors.... that is a big YES. I believe however that with our current run right now (Medium Proton plastic) we are using most of the same colors as the 2nd run Softs, with a few new blended colors inbetween. I know that there turned out to be a handful of some really nice bright looking oranges!

I am going to see what I can do for some more colors as I want to start seeing some more bright colored runs too! Perhaps what colors would you like to see? I want to try and get some more bright orange and pink too. Possibly some nice light blues, neon greens, purples... everything! More will come :) any color suggestions?

As for new discs.... this is still being discussed heavily right now. Do we want to come out with more discs...you betcha. As for what we are not sure as of yet, but we are maybe thinking driver or mid. We have ideas in mind and this is obviously something that is not going to happen with a blink of an eye and we want to dial in our plastic line up perfectly before we do anything. We feel that for now we are only going to keep this overmold technique on our putters. While we are still debating on what we would like to possibly come out with in the future, feel free to suggest what you would like to see... like what speed/stability driver/mid are you looking for? Other? But please keep in mind, we arent going to have a new disc come out tomorrow or anything, but just for future reference when we do after we get all of our polymer testing, tweaking, perfecting first. We want to make sure out plastics are quality, consistent, and perfected before we start making new discs...we still have many different ideas we want to prototype.

For colors:
Pink
Bright Orange
Purple
White

Different colored rims!!!! I'd love a purple ION core with bright green rim... I think there could be lots of unique looking putters out there this way.

For discs in the future:

I think many would agree with me that a fairway driver with a flight like a cyclone/ gazelle or eagle x in your Proton plastic would be rather sweet.

I think one thing that should transfer over to your other discs is the nice texture underneath the rim. Also, I love how the flight plate meets up with the rim in a rounded fashion and not just like a T.

I'm excited for future products as well. I also think it would be smart to give the Ion a real chance to catch on and take hold before pushing out a bunch of different discs. I think the Ion is a very unique and interesting disc that catches people's attention regardless of what brand discs they currently use. I think future products should somehow share that character, offering things that the other companies do not.

Here are some ideas for discs that do not quite exist that would be popular:

An overmolded midrange.
A fast, glidey, large diameter mid like a Buzzz, with a "0" in hss and more LSS as well, but still not overstable like a Drone/Gator/Demon.
A larger diameter driver that is faster and glides better than the Stalker (I think there is big potential here).

discspeed said:
An overmolded midrange.
A fast, glidey, large diameter mid like a Buzzz, with a "0" in hss and more LSS as well, but still not overstable like a Drone/Gator/Demon.
A larger diameter driver that is faster and glides better than the Stalker (I think there is big potential here).

These.

With the muted bounces that the overmold offers, discs at any speed that are really good at going straight for wooded tunnel shots.

Man, I think I missed my best ace window with the Ion...At first it was always going 20-30' past where I had been driving my Voodoo, resulting in many ace runs. Now for some reason it keeps ending up under the basket instead. Damn learning...I guess now I have to aim above the basket. 8)

So I used the Ion today in medium and heavy winds. It did pretty well in everything besides heavy headwinds and wasn't battered around any more than my wizard of the same weight. I also threw a pretty big spike hyzer over some trees with it and it slammed into the top of the basket at what looked like (in my professional opinion) a million miles an hour. It left a much smaller dent/scuff than I thought it was going to. I was pleasantly surprised.

discspeed said:
I'm excited for future products as well. I also think it would be smart to give the Ion a real chance to catch on and take hold before pushing out a bunch of different discs. I think the Ion is a very unique and interesting disc that catches people's attention regardless of what brand discs they currently use. I think future products should somehow share that character, offering things that the other companies do not.

Here are some ideas for discs that do not quite exist that would be popular:

An overmolded midrange.

These would be great. If you could combine the top two suggestions into one, it would probably be the best mid on the market. Discspeed nailed the suggestions.

And now it seems I have a new disc to try out. Thankfully I'm flat broke (after pre-ordering the DGR P-PDs) and will only afford these come summer. Still, I'm most definitely going to try them out at some point. Truly holding any angle you put them on, not turning over even when ripped (as long as you have a smooth form), only a little low speed fade... This sounds like the driving putter of my dreams. That and I'm a sucker for gadgets, and the overmolding has a lot of gadget appeal. I'm also having trouble controlling OAT on my putter drives, so this sounds very enticing, seeing how many people say it's easy to release clean.

About the future, I think discspeed nailed most of the really practically useful stuff that people might perhaps buy, but I myself would like to see what is possible with this overmolding technique. Hardwinged ding resisting drivers with soft and poppy cores (beats like champ, glides like pro) and making the overmolding material as heavy as possible while making the core material as light a possible to further increase the amount of weight on the rim are the two most intriguing things that come to mind.

I'm loving my 2 new Ions for driving and surprisingly for putting as well. I'm not sure I'll dig the grip in all conditions but it was working just fine for me today. The shape is so similar to my voodoos so it feels the same in the hand and I love how the thing sticks to the chains. I did hit the chains on the pro side twice today and have it fall out, but I don't think i'd blame the disc for those. I tried the FR blue and red one for a bit and didn't like it as much as the heavier ones I have now.

The Ion is slowly seducing me to putt with it. It cuts the wind much better than the Voodoo and I also prefer the shape and feel of the Ion in my hand. I'm still carrying both and putting with both.

I've been using this to putt exclusively as of late. I was wary of the premium plastic feel for putting at first, but now that I'm actually putting with it, it doesn't even phase me at all. The gumminess of the the proton plastic is just right for me, it will give if it put a lot of pressure on it (like driving), however it remains firm enough for my style of putting.

The only downfall that I can find to using this as my main putter is that it grabs the chains TOO well. If I ever have to switch putters for some weird reason, I will have been spoiled by all the putts I've made with the Ion that stuck where other putters would have cut through or kissed off.

Just got two of them in the mail. They're softer than I expected, but they feel great in hand. I've only got to throw a couple short indoor putts with them, but I think I'll like them. The firms would be much appreciated though. I'd feel a lot more comfortable driving with something that felt harder.

Damn, today I hit the middle of the basket about 3 inches low with my Ion...That's as close as I've come to the first Ion ace! It was a hole right along a walking path and a couple of walkers were right next to the basket when I hit it. The dude was a ball golfer and was VERY excited about seeing that. It was also awesome that the Ion just hit there and dropped right where it hit like a missed putt. Speaking of putting, I'm back to using the Ion and I'm have much more success this time than the first go around...

I am still loving them. I slammed the basket on a hole yesterday. I feel like I can review the durability now. It scuffs a lot, but holds up great. Multiple full power tree hits, chains, etc., and no nicks whatsoever. They haven't quite seduced me to solely putt with them yet, but that may change when gummys come out.