• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

MVP Disc Sports - Official Thread

josser said:
Worm 28 said:
They are finishing up a few things at the shop and we hope to be ready to run our Medium Proton plastic early next week! I feel that this Soft proton plastic in our first/second run, along with this Medium Proton plastic, will compliment each other very well. I will be keeping everyone up to date on all progress made!

What is the medium plastic going to be like? Stiff and durable like KC Rocs? Something like that?
Its going to be hard to say EXACTLY how stiff they are going to be. However, they should definitely be significantly firmer in flex compared to our Softs. And of course, durability is going to remain the same as the Softs....VERY durable. In other words, its primarily the same material as our softs, but firmer.

So for those who may like the Ion, but prefer a stiffer putter... this should most certainly be what you are looking for!

What is MVP disc's response to the opinion that the texture of top of the disc is too slick to be a pure putter.

I've been reading everyone's responses on this disc and it seems that I'm not the only one that feels that the top is very slick. The grip, while alright when dry, is very slippery when wet with sweat/rain, especially compared to base plastic of other companies.

The disc has amazing flight characteristics, glide, and can grab chains like no one's business, however, I think some people may keep it as a drive/ approach putter because of its slick grip. Is there a way to "rough up" the top of the disc to give it a tackier feel? Would changing the texture of the top change flight characteristics in any way?

I'm not trying to be harsh or anything. Love the disc, I'm only trying to give constructive criticism.

^ i agree with that

i love the ion thus far but mainly for driving and approaches. i love the underside texture and would love it even more if the top was textured as well. i think it would give my pures a run for the putter spot in my bag if it was textured. it grabs chains like crazy but the slick top does not feel to great when slightly wet . for now ,its staying as a driving putter

Waddly Hobbins said:
What is MVP disc's response to the opinion that the texture of top of the disc is too slick to be a pure putter.

I've been reading everyone's responses on this disc and it seems that I'm not the only one that feels that the top is very slick. The grip, while alright when dry, is very slippery when wet with sweat/rain, especially compared to base plastic of other companies.

The disc has amazing flight characteristics, glide, and can grab chains like no one's business, however, I think some people may keep it as a drive/ approach putter because of its slick grip. Is there a way to "rough up" the top of the disc to give it a tackier feel? Would changing the texture of the top change flight characteristics in any way?

I'm not trying to be harsh or anything. Love the disc, I'm only trying to give constructive criticism.
I can understand where you are coming from. As for the ION being molded in our premium plastic, it holds very similar/same characteristics of almost any other golf disc made in a premium plastic, such of that as Z, Champion, and many others. Of course, these premium plastics do have their advantages and disadvantages... and grip tends to be the biggie. When dry, our Proton plastic cores are extremely grippy as any premium plastic disc is. As long as I wipe them down with my towel when wet, they maintain their advantages in premium plastic.

However.... I will say that we are researching the possibilities of a potential baseline plastic. I do not want to make any broken promises, so I cannot guarantee anything, but its most certainly possible. There is no way I could give any time frames yet as we are right now about to run our medium plastic this next week we hope, and want to prototype with a few more combinations of things that I cannot say at this moment. After all that is accomplished, I do hope to have some baseline to experiment by then. This is something I am REALLY wanting to make happen, and will be making efforts put forth into doing so.

And no worries, constructive criticism is good! These are the things I need and want to hear! This helps us make decisions and prioritize what we need/want to do next!

Feel free to shoot any questions/comments/thoughts!

Thanks,
~Chad

When my ion gets wet from the snow I just wipe it off and grip is still fine. During non stop rain days though, it would be nice if the top could get textured. The bottom gripped fine even when I soaked it for a test. I guess my question is: Is there a possibility of using the same texture as the bottom as on the top? I still can't get over how effortless it is to push this putter out far.

I actually like the non-textured grip better than the textured part. It sticks to my hand better.

I suppose I am somewhat torn between the two. For dry conditions I prefer the top feel, but for wet conditions I prefer the bottom feel. I suppose if there is no compromise between them I would take the top feel. Like I said, unless it is soaking out towels work fine.

I feel that the texture on the underside is perfect and definitely does help tremendously for wet conditions. I just don't quite think that I would like to see this texture on top of the disc.

On a side note, more artwork is being submitted just about everyday now and wanted to thank those who have so far and wish everyone good luck who plan on submitting. Keep up the great work!

I also thought I would share a little clip I took a bit ago and placed it on our facebook ION fanpage

Thanks,
~Chad

Got back from Vacation last night, went to the PO to get my vacation hold mail. I had six Ions waiting for me! One first run from Tim RB, and three red/black, one flesh/black, and one mint/black. Thew a couple of putts with all of them and they feel awesome! They are maybe the best feeling putter in my hand that I have ever held. I love the way VPs fly, but damn the Ion feels awesome. It is crazy windy so I did not do a lot of putting and that but from 60-80' they are dead straight and glidey. Just what I was looking for in a second putter! Now I guess I have two putters to collect. I need a few more 1st runs, they are just pretty!

I threw a couple shots with Booter's Ion. Didn't expect it to be that flexy, which is a turn off for me. I liked the flight but won't buy one until it is released in something firmer.

zj1002 said:
I threw a couple shots with Booter's Ion. Didn't expect it to be that flexy, which is a turn off for me. I liked the flight but won't buy one until it is released in something firmer.

Should be soon, I believe.

zj1002 said:

We should have the medium firmness IONs available in stores soon. I will estimate 2 weeks. I will be sure to keep you guys updated when we do have them available.

I can't wait! I love my softs and I'm hoping the mediums will be more overstable (as stiffer putters usually seem to be) to compliment them and rule in the wind! Actually, all wishing aside, I'm just very curious to throw a different version.

On a different note, I hit a car kind of hard with an Ion today going long on a hole (ace run) and it bounced off without leaving a mark!

discspeed said:
On a different note, I hit a car kind of hard with an Ion today going long on a hole (ace run) and it bounced off without leaving a mark!

This is the type of information that is important to me, the average consumer, when selecting an appropriate putter.

Frank Delicious said:
discspeed said:

This is the type of information that is important to me, the average consumer, when selecting an appropriate putter.

You're right...DGR is all about serious information...I'm just a loof. Maybe you mods can judge each post and decide whether it counts as a new post for the post count or if one should be taken away. That way some people would be negative and a high post count would mean you are to be taken seriously.

discspeed said:
Frank Delicious said:
discspeed said:

You're right...DGR is all about serious information...I'm just a loof. Maybe you mods can judge each post and decide whether it counts as a new post for the post count or if one should be taken away. That way some people would be negative and a high post count would mean you are to be taken seriously.
Frank's post count = -5506 :lol:

discspeed said:
Frank Delicious said:
discspeed said:

But I was serious. My home course plays along a few roads and knowing I can hit a car and not worry about marks and damage is important to me, the average consumer.

Did you think I wasn't being serious?

discspeed said:
I can't wait! I love my softs and I'm hoping the mediums will be more overstable (as stiffer putters usually seem to be) to compliment them and rule in the wind! Actually, all wishing aside, I'm just very curious to throw a different version.

They were going to run the new Medium Proton plastic in the core today, I have to check to see how that is going. So hopefully, we are going to have a big run of Medium cores which we then can overmold our grippy Electron plastic on them!

I will be keeping this updated when I learn more.

Thanks
~Chad