• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

MVP Disc Sports - Official Thread

After putting a lot now with my Ion against my Voodoo, the Ion definitely has some advantages. It cuts the wind significantly better, and does not lift and drop like my Voodoos. It is faster with a more stable finish, especially at low speeds. After putting with the Ion, the Voodoo feels very slow. The only disadvantage of the Ion is the grip, especially in wet conditions. If I could keep it dry it would be fine obviously, but if it somehow got wet, its very hard to grip. I will have to carry a Voodoo for rain until the Ion comes out in some sort of dx/pro plastic. In dry conditions I prefer the feel of the plastic to my Voodoos. Anyway, the Ion also grabs chains better, and has more range. Its easy to run the basket with a short throw with the Ion. Outside 80' I'm throwing the Ion, and I can use the LSS to run the basket on a stall shot that hyzers at the basket and lands close if it doesn't hit metal. I can also release with anny and have the Ion flatten out and fade forward. I have hit several FH putts from out of the schule with it as well, and I haven't made shots like that in years. I'm anxiously awaiting the mediums...

I've been going through the same thing with my Voodoos and Ions. The Ion feels and looks so much like a voodoo that it's been really easy to switch to putting with the Ions. I've been liking the feel of the plastic as well but haven't had to putt with them when wet. You mentioned speed, and that's been my biggest finding with the Ion, they'll stay up a long way without much put onto them where the voodoo's feel like tanks in comparison.

discspeed said:
After putting a lot now with my Ion against my Voodoo, the Ion definitely has some advantages. It cuts the wind significantly better, and does not lift and drop like my Voodoos. It is faster with a more stable finish, especially at low speeds. After putting with the Ion, the Voodoo feels very slow. The only disadvantage of the Ion is the grip, especially in wet conditions. If I could keep it dry it would be fine obviously, but if it somehow got wet, its very hard to grip. I will have to carry a Voodoo for rain until the Ion comes out in some sort of dx/pro plastic. In dry conditions I prefer the feel of the plastic to my Voodoos. Anyway, the Ion also grabs chains better, and has more range. Its easy to run the basket with a short throw with the Ion. Outside 80' I'm throwing the Ion, and I can use the LSS to run the basket on a stall shot that hyzers at the basket and lands close if it doesn't hit metal. I can also release with anny and have the Ion flatten out and fade forward. I have hit several FH putts from out of the schule with it as well, and I haven't made shots like that in years. I'm anxiously awaiting the mediums...

With the exception of the grip when wet (I haven't had time to experience this yet), I agree completely. It throws for approaches so smoothly I can't believe it. I know you had said that if you don't have clean form it will flip for you, which had me a little worried for driving with it. However, so far I've found that I can power it down a bit and get the same distance as the Voodoo, making it easy to throw cleaner. I'm taking runs for the chains from much farther out and find it to carry in a straight line much farther than a Voodoo if you give it enough snap. With less snap it is still easy to play the fade just like a Voodoo thrown without a lot of power. I'm not positive how much better it grips the chains, but I do feel like it makes a difference. The only thing that I've noticed is that if you hit left it seems to almost throw itself out because it grips the chains better (not that these had a high chance of going in with any putter). Right and middle seem to snag pretty well though.

discspeed said:
Damn, today I hit the middle of the basket about 3 inches low with my Ion...That's as close as I've come to the first Ion ace! It was a hole right along a walking path and a couple of walkers were right next to the basket when I hit it. The dude was a ball golfer and was VERY excited about seeing that. It was also awesome that the Ion just hit there and dropped right where it hit like a missed putt. Speaking of putting, I'm back to using the Ion and I'm have much more success this time than the first go around...

I know the feeling. On a short hole today I skipped off the dirt in front of the basket and slammed the chains on the left and it BARELY spit out. If it was 2 inches right I think it would have stuck.

I still have a pretty big man crush on this disc. It's kind of embarrassing.

Ya, that is what I have been using for that type of shot. 169g 1st run. I nailed a 90' uphill putt on Monday with it. I mean really uphill, like 30 degree angle. It just floated right into the basket. It was a beautiful thing to see, 90% great disc, 10% skill on my part.

When I got my ion I though hmmm this feels cheap but grippy and the rubber around the mold felt cheap but damn I was wrong, i live in a area where we see 30+mph wind and for the record, it does fan fuckin tastic in the wind, I use this over my extremly overstable vibram with some low snap from the hip it hit chains everytime, I love this company for making these innovative discs keep up the good work and the good quality discs im looking forward to your new line up.

Just got two in the mail yesterday and got in 23 holes and quite a bit of putting practice and field work with them and I think it's safe to say my 5 month love affair with the Focus is officially over. So rarely does a disc lived up to the hype for me, but the Ion is everything you guys said it was. It's a chain gripping, putt saving, straight driving beast.

I still have some learning to do with it, since it glides WAY more than my Focus and Wizards did and I missed several putts that hit the number sign on the basket because of it. And sure it will be slippery when wet, but isn't that why we carry towels? Do you disregard a driver or mid in Z or Champ plastic because it gets slippery when wet? Of course not, so why would this disc be any different?

Yesterday I was playing in my small home course. I was going for an ace run with my first run ION about 230ft tunnel. It made a slight turn then went straight towards the basket. Then it went SMACK in the top ring above the chains and fell right next to the basket. 1-2 ft lower and it would have been money!

Roy said:
Is there an ETA for stiffer ions?

The factory is a little busy at the moment, but hopefully we will have them available within a couple of weeks.

Just got my Ion in the mail recently and I see what all the hoopla is about. I love throwing it! Goes dead straight or can hold a beautiful anhyzer line.

How has the durability been on these for those of you that have been driving with them? I ordered a higher weight one along with some Vibrams to audition, driving is a must.

BCR-9er said:
Roy said:
Is there an ETA for stiffer ions?

The factory is a little busy at the moment, but hopefully we will have them available within a couple of weeks.

I know (and I hope) there is other stuff going on and all that jazz.. would early June be a reasonable guess?

Latest posts