• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

MVP Disc Sports - Official Thread

NoLifeLeft said:
How has the durability been on these for those of you that have been driving with them? I ordered a higher weight one along with some Vibrams to audition, driving is a must.

So far so good in the durability department. Yesterday I missed my mark and banged it off a tree about 50 feet in front of me and honestly it acted like FLX plastic and just flopped to the ground with no noticeable damage. The real test will be at the home course, as 25 years ago when they put it in the ground they thought it'd be a good idea to have every basket in the middle of a 12' concrete circle. Its also a woods course so it's a great place to test durability. I'll report back in a week or two.

Roy said:
would early June be a reasonable guess?

I would hope we have them available before this time. We're shooting for late April, early May. I'm not making any guarantees, but this is something that is towards the top of our priority list. I will be sure to inform you all when have them available.

~Brad

Which design is MVP's favorite?

Will you use the one that gets the most votes (which can easily be inflated) or will you just use that as a suggestion, and choose what you think is the best design for your product?

A.Mutt said:
NoLifeLeft said:
How has the durability been on these for those of you that have been driving with them? I ordered a higher weight one along with some Vibrams to audition, driving is a must.

So far so good in the durability department. Yesterday I missed my mark and banged it off a tree about 50 feet in front of me and honestly it acted like FLX plastic and just flopped to the ground with no noticeable damage. The real test will be at the home course, as 25 years ago when they put it in the ground they thought it'd be a good idea to have every basket in the middle of a 12' concrete circle. Its also a woods course so it's a great place to test durability. I'll report back in a week or two.

They don't seem to break in very fast. I've slammed mine into several trees trying to thread the needle on some drives and they haven't changed much yet. That was playing 54 holes a day for two weeks, so they've seen a lot of use. They're holding up as well as any candy plastic I've had. They definitely drop after hitting something like a FLX disc does. That is one reason I like driving with them on wooded holes. I feel like the Ion accentuates any OAT since it is so soft though. That is why I can't wait for the firmer ones. They probably won't have the friendly non-bounce that the softer ones get off trees though.

Guess what I got in the mail today? A beautiful red proto medium Ion! It feels exactly as I had hoped! The surface of the plastic has the same grippy feel, but the flex is MUCH firmer. I would compare it to the stiffer runs of Soft Gateway putters...not a dinner plate like a medium Wizard, but it still has very little give. The shoulder molded up a tad bit higher as well. I'm betting that its going to be a little more stable just as I hoped. I will be testing in thoroughly this afternoon (after my baby's first pediatric appt.).

dgdave said:
Is it the same type of plastic in the core, just stiffer or is it a different blend?

It's the same plastic, but stiffer.

Leopard said:
Will you use the one that gets the most votes (which can easily be inflated) or will you just use that as a suggestion, and choose what you think is the best design for your product?
We definitely are going to use the one that has the most votes. We may however extend the voting period if the votes are too close. We have even thought about possibly using more than one design and awarding those whos design we choose.

discspeed said:
Guess what I got in the mail today? A beautiful red proto medium Ion! It feels exactly as I had hoped! The surface of the plastic has the same grippy feel, but the flex is MUCH firmer. I would compare it to the stiffer runs of Soft Gateway putters...not a dinner plate like a medium Wizard, but it still has very little give. The shoulder molded up a tad bit higher as well. I'm betting that its going to be a little more stable just as I hoped. I will be testing in thoroughly this afternoon (after my baby's first pediatric appt.).

I got in a round with my Medium Ion today. I need to do much more testing, but I really loved how it was flying for me. First of all, its much closer to what I am used to putting with, so it had the flight characteristics I have been looking for all along with the awesome Ion feel. The softs are very dynamic and definitely spring out of my hand a little more, but the Medium felt steadier in the air. On both drives and putts it seemed to have more HSS and less LSS. It dropped a little faster than the softs, but for my style that's not a bad thing. I was most impressed using it on my jump putts. It seemed that the grip or something else about the softs caused me to get some OAT on my jumpers, often causing the disc to flip on me. The Medium Ion was totally straight. I hit a couple of 40'ers and connected with some metal on every jump putt I had. It drops a lot straighter than the softs, which tend to fade out if given any height. This is going to be my putter now, no doubt.

As a driver, I also preferred the Medium. It did not hold the hyzer as well, as it wanted to fly straightish no matter what, but for straight shots and forced gentle annys it was perhaps the best putter I've thrown. I also found that it was flying farther for me than the softs. It flew all around more Buzzz-like than my softs. I do still prefer the softs for approaches, short runs at the basket, and more extreme hyzers/anhyzers. The softs have more LSS, and that is often desirable. I have actually made more long forehand putts with the Ion than any other disc, and my runs from 130' and in have been better throwing the Ion forehand than my backhand runs have been in years. Though I find this strange, I like it.

The Medium still has the same outer "bumper" overmold as the softs, so it seemed to hit the chains the exact same way. With an overall straighter flight character, I dare say the mediums hit the chains/basket with even more shock absorption than the softs. I did notice that it kicked just a bit harder off trees at speed than the softs, but still better than any other discs. I'll be comparing the medium/softs head to head for a while, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to end up carrying them both for different purposes.

I think people who were a bit put off by the softness of the previous runs are going to adore the mediums. I also think those with more of a "push" putting style rather than a spin style will like them. Either way, I think everyone should try on an Ion...and keep their Ion the basket! 8)

sweet! i liked the softer ion somewhat but it was a bit gummy for driving. the mediums sound just about what i like. hopefully theyll be available soon!

discspeed said:
...and keep their Ion the basket!
I see what you did there. You'll be hearing from my solicitor.

But really, even more HSS and even less LSS? Are you sure you're not just making all this up, because you're starting to describe everything I've ever wanted in a putter.

jubuttib said:
discspeed said:
...and keep their Ion the basket!
I see what you did there. You'll be hearing from my solicitor.

But really, even more HSS and even less LSS? Are you sure you're not just making all this up, because you're starting to describe everything I've ever wanted in a putter.

Yeah, its real. That's similar to the stiffer Wizards/Voodoos vs. the softer Wizards/Voodoos I've thrown as well. The difference is not quite as clear cut as purely being more HSS and less LSS though...For example, I threw the medium on a hole that is about 270' and uphill. I throw this with my soft Ions and put them high over the trees on the right side of the fairway with hyzer and let it fade in. I threw my Medium the same way on this hole and although it didn't flip up, the shot went MUCH straighter. Slight left curve, but nowhere near the hyzer/fade action my softs get. However, as I stated before, it holds a slight anny/nose down throw better without turning too much...but perhaps this is a result of me getting a slightly cleaner and more consistent release with the stiffer plastic. Although I can get the softs out pretty far without much effort, when I try to throw them hard/fast it feels very strange when they rip out of my hand. Sometimes it seems like a lot of energy is wasted in this process that does not translate itself into the flight of the disc.

Dude, the voting is all jacked on the hotstamp.

The one with the disc flying is so tight but isn't winning!

Cali said:

The graphic is cool, but the "strictly positive" is pretty lame....not to mention incorrect. Ions can have a positive (cation) or negative (anion) charge. Yes I freely admit I'm a nerd.

Yehosha said:
Cali said:

The graphic is cool, but the "strictly positive" is pretty lame....not to mention incorrect. Ions can have a positive (cation) or negative (anion) charge. Yes I freely admit I'm a nerd.

I 100% agree and was annoyed in the same way. Speaking of nerd, if we're talking about Ions in the air (which seem appropriate for a flying disc), positive Ions are correlated with depression, and it's negative Ions (as found in the surf and after thunderstorms) that actually improve mood. I'm sure the MVP guys know this...so anyway, please don't misuse the word "positive" with respect to the Ion! I'm all about #6...you can almost see that there are more electrons than protons/neutrons, hence a negative Ion!

How many of those firmer ones did you get? Are they consistent?

Damn, I REALLY want this disc. I want it more than I want to consistently break 400' right now...

I did, however, hit 400 posts.

jubuttib said:
How many of those firmer ones did you get? Are they consistent?

Damn, I REALLY want this disc. I want it more than I want to consistently break 400' right now...

I did, however, hit 400 posts.

I just got one 175g red one. The soft ones are damn consistent, so I have no doubt these will be as well. I think its a proto. I'll bet they are going to wait and stamp the mediums with what they decide before they release them.