• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

MVP Disc Sports - Official Thread

The ION is now available at Disc Golf Center.

EDIT: Check out their flight ratings for the ION. Do you guys believe it to be accurate?

Disc Characteristics
Difficulty: 2
Speed: 3
Glide: 4
HSS: 0
LSS: 1

They only have 39 in stock though? They will sell out within a couple days I'll bet. And then I'll get my order on Friday and I can hook you guys up!

I got some more backyard putting in with my Medium Ion today and it is the exact thing I wanted. It is precisely the stiffness I prefer to putt with, so the height, line, and amount of spin it prefers is much more similar to the type of putters I've used for years. It is also incredible in the wind. My backyard is on a canal about a mile from the Gulf of Mexico. Winds are always swirling back and forth. I like the soft Ions in the wind, but the medium one is absolutely rock steady.

Are you going to run more Ions in the lighter weight range? I am really liking my first runs for long jump putts and anhyzer approaches but I only have two. Some Medium Ions in 166-169 would be tits.

Frank Delicious said:
Are you going to run more Ions in the lighter weight range? I am really liking my first runs for long jump putts and anhyzer approaches but I only have two. Some Medium Ions in 166-169 would be tits.

I second it!

Frank Delicious said:
This would be nice.
BCR-9er said:
EDIT: Check out their flight ratings for the ION. Do you guys believe it to be accurate?

Disc Characteristics
There are many different rating systems out there. Which one are you using? Basing on Innova's system it seems right, but I would think the LSS is a tad higher. Still loving my ions.

BCR-9er said:

Disc Characteristics

I agree with those ratings 100%.

With more Medium Ion experience now, I must say that its all around more stable than the softs. I think I was not getting a 100% clean release at first, but now I am and it holds a hyzer much better for me. It is also really wind resistant.

discspeed said:
BCR-9er said:

Disc Characteristics

Seems a little faster to me, maybe a 3.5. But I'm no disc tester. I'm a disc ruiner.

BrotherDave said:
discspeed said:
BCR-9er said:

Disc Characteristics

Seems a little faster to me, maybe a 3.5. But I'm no disc tester. I'm a disc ruiner.

Comparing to Innova, and Aviar is a 2 and a Roc is a 4, so I think that the Ion fits nicely between them at 3...Faster than most traditional putters, but not midrange speed. Oh, and good luck ruining an Ion!

BCR-9er said:
The ION is now available at Disc Golf Center.

Freaking awesome. Not two weeks ago I told them they needed to get some when I placed my last order.

booter said:
sweet! i liked the softer ion somewhat but it was a bit gummy for driving. the mediums sound just about what i like. hopefully theyll be available soon!

My thoughts exactly! I can't wait to get my hands on a couple firms...except I'll have to decide if I want two firms and a soft or two softs and a firm in my bag...

as i understand what you are working on right now is trying different materials for the inside mold, but leaving a soft and grippy outer. are there any plans for future runs to basically flip your current plastic strategies? basically, to make a stiff and durable outer edge with a soft/medium/firm/whatever inside? like, right now you are making a milky way bar, do you plan on making a tootsie roll pop?

on a related note, what is the durability like for the current outer edge?

Shank said:
as i understand what you are working on right now is trying different materials for the inside mold, but leaving a soft and grippy outer. are there any plans for future runs to basically flip your current plastic strategies? basically, to make a stiff and durable outer edge with a soft/medium/firm/whatever inside? like, right now you are making a milky way bar, do you plan on making a tootsie roll pop?

on a related note, what is the durability like for the current outer edge?

The purpose of the outer edge is to absorb shock upon impact with the basket or other objects, and also to be heavier/more dense than the inner plastic to make the disc fly more gyroscopically. These elements are the core of what the Ion is and are why it is unique and why it glides so well.

I think they said somewhere the durability of the outer edge is similar to star (but I think its a little better because of the density), and the inside is like Champion/Z.

Here's a question: Are you guys going to make Ion minis? Those would be awesome!

When I saw 2 of the entries for the art contest I thought of this local company's logo:
vendors_02.gif

I hope you still do runs of blanks from time to time after deciding on a stamp. I love the way they look. Every time somebody sees my Ions they ask what they are. Ames/Des Moines, Iowa are being introduced. Its too bad Iowa has almost nothing in terms of a brick and mortar store.

Unity said:
I hope you still do runs of blanks from time to time after deciding on a stamp. I love the way they look. Every time somebody sees my Ions they ask what they are. Ames/Des Moines, Iowa are being introduced. Its too bad Iowa has almost nothing in terms of a brick and mortar store.

We can most certainly leave some IONs unstamped. Plus there are many out there in stores that are unstamped. I'm sure you will be able to get your stamped/unstamped discs of your preference.

I took two of my soft Ions and my new medium Ion to the field last night for some testing in the wind. Although I do appreciate totally the stability of the medium, it lacks some of the magic glide of the softs. Its easier to really rip on, but the softs go 250' with considerably less effort. I will definitely be carrying both in my bag. For putting I'm still torn...The softs get me in some trouble due to how far they can carry with some speed, but I also like the effortlessness. I probably will end up using the mediums in and around the circle and the softs from outside. The softs are flatter and easier to grip as well, so I'm just not sure. Time (and more medium Ions to practice with) will tell for sure.

When you make different weights, do you adjust only the weight of the overmold or do you adjust both peices?
Making adjustments to only one or the other seems like it would throw off the weight distribution and therefore the flightpath.

Latest posts