• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

MVP Disc Sports - Official Thread

marmoset said:
When you make different weights, do you adjust only the weight of the overmold or do you adjust both peices?
Making adjustments to only one or the other seems like it would throw off the weight distribution and therefore the flightpath.

Speculation...
I think they adjust the inner part. On the first runs the overmold was different, but I'm guessing on all the softs (172-175) they simply adjusted the inner plastic. I say this because I can notice that the lighter ones are a little softer in the middle and the 175s are a little more stiff.

Leopard, I've already told you what DGR stamp I want you to work on. It's coming this fall (and no, it's not an Ion).

riverboy said:
Timko said:
Leopard, I've already told you what DGR stamp I want you to work on. It's coming this fall (and no, it's not an Ion).
DETAILS!
dgrguitar.jpg

(hey we could move this to a general thread drift thread, eh?)

Frank Delicious said:
Are you going to run more Ions in the lighter weight range? I am really liking my first runs for long jump putts and anhyzer approaches but I only have two. Some Medium Ions in 166-169 would be tits.

Hello all, sorry for the late responses, been a busy week with school. Thank you BCR for filling in on some of the questions.

Lots of good things going on! First being the hotstamp contest on the PDGA is over, I will be working on that next and posting up all the details.

discspeed said:
marmoset said:
When you make different weights, do you adjust only the weight of the overmold or do you adjust both peices?
Making adjustments to only one or the other seems like it would throw off the weight distribution and therefore the flightpath.

Speculation...
I think they adjust the inner part. On the first runs the overmold was different, but I'm guessing on all the softs (172-175) they simply adjusted the inner plastic. I say this because I can notice that the lighter ones are a little softer in the middle and the 175s are a little more stiff.
We only adjust the weight of the middle core of the ION. Yes, it is true that if we did change the weight of core/overmold or vise versa it would indeed change the flight characteristics. However, this is EXACTLY why we only change the weight of the middle core. We want to keep the overmold running at the exact same dense material for all of the runs because we want more weight towards the outside of the disc. The centrifugal forces are higher the farther you get away from the origin of the disc, so keeping the higher weight on the outside overmold, maintains its higher gyroscopic properties. In comparison to a single molded putter, you are changing the entire discs properties including the rim where the forces are affected most, changing the flight characteristics. That is more so than if we just change the center core where weight has a lesser affect on the centrifugal forces.

Frank Delicious said:
Are you going to run more Ions in the lighter weight range? I am really liking my first runs for long jump putts and anhyzer approaches but I only have two. Some Medium Ions in 166-169 would be tits.
Possibly, however with our current medium run under works, we are going to be shooting for closer to max weight as this is planned to be a bigger run. In later runs, we could possibly run some lower weights.

discspeed said:
Shank said:
as i understand what you are working on right now is trying different materials for the inside mold, but leaving a soft and grippy outer. are there any plans for future runs to basically flip your current plastic strategies? basically, to make a stiff and durable outer edge with a soft/medium/firm/whatever inside? like, right now you are making a milky way bar, do you plan on making a tootsie roll pop?

on a related note, what is the durability like for the current outer edge?

The purpose of the outer edge is to absorb shock upon impact with the basket or other objects, and also to be heavier/more dense than the inner plastic to make the disc fly more gyroscopically. These elements are the core of what the Ion is and are why it is unique and why it glides so well.

I think they said somewhere the durability of the outer edge is similar to star (but I think its a little better because of the density), and the inside is like Champion/Z.

Here's a question: Are you guys going to make Ion minis? Those would be awesome!
As for simply switching our current plastics we have now with the core and overmold, not exactly. It is true that we are definitely going to be doing some unique combinations with the dual polymers of the ION, as there a few secret combos that we are looking into and will be worked on.

The durability, this is a popular question, and we are proud to say that the properties of the Proton and Electron plastic we use for the core and overmold are VERY durable. The core material is a polyurethane, which known to many, is currently one of the most durable polymers used for golf discs. The overmold material has a very similar molecular structure, but more dense and rubbery. So the overmold is still VERY durable like the core, yet bears the characteristics of dense chain grabbing rubber.

Man, ION minis... now that sounds really sweet! Obviously its not something we are looking at right this moment, but that would be pretty awesome!

discspeed said:
jubuttib said:
How many of those firmer ones did you get? Are they consistent?
Damn, I REALLY want this disc. I want it more than I want to consistently break 400' right now...

I just got one 175g red one. The soft ones are damn consistent, so I have no doubt these will be as well. I think its a proto. I'll bet they are going to wait and stamp the mediums with what they decide before they release them.
We only were able to run a small run of these proto mediums, as Maple Valley Plastics got immediately busy with some new work set on a higher priority.

When things begin to clear up as it is looking so, we will get these running and plan on running a fairly large batch as for the demand for mediums is astounding! With it being such a large run, and the hotstamp underway, we want to try to get the hotstamping going simultaneously when we run them. This way, if all goes well, we can get the new mediums out with the new hotstamps on them! And for those who like the plain nonstamped look, no worries. If you want a nonstamped disc just let me know as for I can have them hand pick out some that you would like that have not been stamped. Just let us know what you are looking for and we can get it.

Sorry for the semi-long post. If I happened to miss something or have any questions shoot em!

Thanks,
~Chad

Tried to search if anyone had mentioned it but couldn't find anything: The grippy overmold sounds like it'd work well with turbo putting, anyone tried?

jubuttib said:
Tried to search if anyone had mentioned it but couldn't find anything: The grippy overmold sounds like it'd work well with turbo putting, anyone tried?

I've let a couple of my turbo putting friends try it and they liked it a lot. The gyroscopicness gave it more range it seemed line.

I finally had a chance to try out the two I got back in December. They are pure money for anything within 100. Still trying to adapt to putting without my Wizards but they seem to be a good replacement.

discspeed said:
jubuttib said:

I've let a couple of my turbo putting friends try it and they liked it a lot. The gyroscopicness gave it more range it seemed line.
Sounds great, I kinda figured it would be like that. Now I just need someone to join me up on an order from the States so I can get these...

I'd prefer white on black (white overmold, black core), would go together nicely with my limited edition ProYo...

Been using mine quite a bit off the tee for holes that go left to right in the 150-200' range and it has consistently held the anhyzer line beautifully. Still using it a lot on a wooded course with concrete "greens" and the durability so far has been impressive.

Been using the Ion for about 3 weeks now. I consider myself a pretty typical, average recreational player. I can generate decent distance but I have awful finesse/touch. Stick me 300' from the pin and its a very possible 2. Stick me 125' from the pin and its a very possible 3.

The day after I got it, I was teaching a disc golf unit to 4th graders during my student teaching. I taught backhand driving form while the students watched. At the end of my explanation, I picked out a target pole to aim for (a volleyball pole about 200' away on the playground.) I threw the Ion (my first throw with it, ever,) and hit the pole!

Yes, your disc got me resounding applause from 4th graders. :lol:

Seriously though, this disc throws ropes. I never could drive with Aviars well (form problems, I know.) I can't make this disc turn and burn. It holds very gentle lines if you put it on them. Thrown flat and high it just cruises with practically no fade.

After putting with Rhynos for years, I am really having to adapt to the glide! I'm hitting all my putts high now, but that will be easily compensated and will help me in the long run. The disc has given me instant finesse.

I used the Rhyno for the longest time because I didn't like deep rimmed putters for driving or putting. Even the 1.5cm deep Aviars weren't comfortable for me. I believe this disc is listed at a 1.6cm rim depth, but it doesn't FEEL that deep. I love the curve inside of the rim.

Now then, how about some pink ones? I'll even volunteer to be a tester for a pink run!

Latest posts