• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

MVP Disc Sports - Official Thread

Someone's gotta throw a Blue Moon beer logo on one of these things:

BlueMoonLogo%5B1%5D.png

dgdave said:
I love the black nose with a black dye. It's a nice frame

IMAG0169.jpg
I recognize that picture, so it was you who friended me on Facebook. I was wondering who that was. =)

Did you draw that on the vinyl before or after you put it on the disc and did you cut it on the disc or before?

Worm 28 said:
Yehosha said:
Worm 28 said:
Yehosha said:
I remember reading somewhere that there will be a new shade of Orange, that actually looks bright orange and not the pale fleshy orange out now. Any chance of getting a pic of one of these discs posted when they are made?

Yep! I believe they were ran on the later portion of our second run, which were Softs. I will see if we still have some of them around and if I can get a picture taken for you.

Thanks,
~Chad
Awesome thanks.
My Apologies.. I had them check on those oranges... I thought that they were ran on the last end of our big Soft run... however they were ran during the beginning of the Medium proto run. I will however try to see if we can run some more of those oranges when we get our big Medium run going and will be sure to take lots of pictures of some of the new colors we will be trying to run :D

Thanks,
~Chad

Dibs on a couple of the first few orange softs 8) Orange is my color preference.

Pat said:
Does the tooling on the bottom of this disc bother anyone?

Actually I can't tell the difference between the feeling of the two of them. Sometimes I seem to get better grip on one section, some times the other. Which is actually the tooled section, the one by the rim or in the center? Either way neither of them bothers me.

dgdave said:
Here's one I just pulled out

IMAG0167.jpg
Is that a red disc in weird lighting or is it one of the medium oranges? I'd love to get a soft in that color.

Yehosha said:
Is that a red disc in weird lighting or is it one of the medium oranges? I'd love to get a soft in that color.

I believe that is a red Soft. Only a couple of the orange proto mediums got out. We do hope to run oranges in our Medium production run, and thereafter some in another Soft run. By the time we run our Softs again, we hope to have some more colors that we will be running including Pink, light blue, purple, and of course orange.

marmoset said:
When I saw 2 of the entries for the art contest I thought of this local company's logo:
vendors_02.gif

Hey peeps,

I don't get on here much to browse but someone sent me a PM to let me know the #2 option on the PDGA voting thread that I created was being discussed, I had to give you guys my 2 cents on the matter.
Straight up... I've never seen that companies logo before. Do I agree that it sort of looks similar?.. yes. I really sucks to find out that a solid design you came up with has already been similarly done but ... same goes with art. It get's recycled. The same design points get used .. and used.. and used some more. The "atom" symbol in itself is standard. I'm sure the designer of that company's logo did the same technique I used.
-You create a horizontal ring..
-copy to 45 degrees..
-flip it on the vertical axis..
-then copy it again and rotate it vertical.

Some designers go to logo books you can buy at Barnes & Noble just to get their creative juices going. I put together a bunch of sketches that later were cleaned up and submitted. Not all of them, but there were about 12 that I vectorized up for the competition. Again, just wanted to make it clear that nothing was copied.. it's just coincidental. I wish my final design would of looked more like the concept but.. that's just my poor Vector skills at work. The images with a blue dot next to them are the ideas I took to Illustrator for #2.

Thanks for hearing my rant. I think the final hot stamp is a successful one. It looks pretty sharp. MVP did a good job combining the two. Congrats to Zach as well for his win.

Mike Inscho

SKETCHES:

^^

Yeah I asked Mike about the design after doing my best CSI schtick on the two logos. While they do look similar, it's not a trace and it is fully possible that Mike could've conceived his logo without having ever seen the other one. There are a thousand "atom" logos out there, and dozens of ways to symbolize the shapes in a 2D atom form. Unluckily for Mike the logos bear a striking resemblance, but with enough spare time I could find a handful more that are just as similar.

Anyway I'm just posting my support for Mike's original design. I've torn apart his file and compared the shapes -- they're similar but different, and his sketches show conceptual progression that you wouldn't find in a ripoff.

Once again DGR I make myself look like a tool to bring you the infoz 8)

Frank Delicious said:
Mike is a good guy and wouldn't knowingly rip off a design.

imgres

images

images

images

images

images

Saying that logo is a ripoff is like saying a rock band copied another for using the same chord progression.

The first picture didn't work for me, I think this is what you meant?
atom-logo-bevel.jpg

I was just pointing out how commonly used atom-type logos are, and how its really not possible to ripoff.

Check this one out:
atom.gif

discspeed said:
Saying that logo is a ripoff is like saying a rock band copied another for using the same chord progression.
it's more like two strangers creating a 90% identical mad-lib. sure there is a structure and parameters that would further a similar path of decisions, but it's unlikely, and difficult to believe without more data. my suspicion arose from the use of 3 unique and incongruent methods of symbolizing the rings which appear in both logos. i can read this stuff like a language, and you've got two different people following the same path, making the same decisions through several highly variable points. i'd say it's like a 1-in-1000 level of coincidence to find this kind of similarity in design choices. that's a real number... i bet if you found 1000 similarly-styled atom logos, i'd only find 1 that was actually fishy.

this has happened to me personally -- i conceptualized a product while at Millennium, and when someone else put it out with the same name i gave it, my bosses thought there was espionage at play. they actually thought that either our office was bugged, or i had somehow leaked the idea. i had to break down the conceptual differences to assure them that this other company had organically invented nearly the same thing i did. (luckily they missed the pure gold aspect of my invention and it's still up for grabs ;) )

just sayin, extreme coincidence exists and this is one. you could put a trained eye to these and think it's fishy. that's why i'm posting my support, having put a trained eye to it and asking Mike about it, and having experienced the lame end of extreme coincidence myself.

discspeed said:
Maybe Zach will feel a little better about art contests now...
no, in fact this contest reaffirmed everything i think about design contests. i predicted beforehand (before i saw any submissions) that i would lose the vote with the company's preferred design. there is more to branding and product decoration than the general public is aware of.. that's why graphic design and brand identity are professions. contests play to hobbyists. luckily for MVP a boatload of Ions is quite a carrot and they baited some pros... :lol:
also i'll repeat what i told MVP -- the "font" portion of my design was super insignificant, and i'm pleased with Mike's logo being incorporated into my composite stamp.

if anyone's less than jazzed about this specific stamp, i bet something you do like will come along. there are endless possibilities for branding here... i can see MVP having one enviably damn-sexy product line 8)

Frank Delicious said:
Mike is a cool guy, I played with him on my second card at the Azalea fest. Thanks for letting me fondle that VP Mike!

BrotherDave

BrotherDave said:
Frank Delicious said:
Mike is a cool guy, I played with him on my second card at the Azalea fest. Thanks for letting me fondle that VP Mike!

BrotherDave

No problem Dave,

I normally don't let people fondle em :? . lol.
I had a blast down there in Wilmington. It was great tournament all around. Good weather, good course, ...bad pollen storm rolling through but the best tourney I've been too so far. I appreciate the comments guys.

I'll agree with Leopard that there is a lot more to branding than just a public contest. It takes countless interaction with the client and trying different paths to come up with a final identity for a product. I'm also glad this contest had submissions from people that have some sort of design background.

At this point I have had my Medium Ion for a couple of weeks and I've gotten a chance to throw it quite a bit. I think a lot of people are going to be happy with the Medium Ion. For me however, I am sticking with the softs. Here is why...

I know it may be a little cliche to use this comparison, but it is very fitting...The Soft Ion flies like a Buzzz for me, and the Medium Ion flies like a Roc. The Medium is a little domier, therefore a touch slower and requiring more height to fly. It also has a more muted turnover/hyzer line than that of the softs. It holds any angle a little better than the softs, which seem to like to flip flat and then fade rather than holding slight hyzer/anhyzer lines. The Medium can be stable when thrown with more power. The Soft is definitely flatter in the hand, its dome almost "fallen" like a Gateway disc, where the Medium looks more like the first runs with a little dome...it is still totally flat on top.

What it really comes down to for me is the grip. As it has gotten warmer here I thought I would like the softs less, as I figured they would feel softer. This hasn't really happened, and instead simply the surface of the plastic is stickier. I love the way I can pinch down on the flat disc for putting. The Softs also come out of my hand cleaner more consistently. This maybe because I've been throwing the 5 I have right now all the time so I've gotten used to it, and the one medium I have hasn't been thrown nearly as much.

So if you like flat discs like buzzzes that want to fly on plane, then the Soft is where its at. If you like discs that are domier and tend to hold tilted lines better like a Roc/Comet, the Medium is going to be your disc.

Latest posts