• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

MVP Disc Sports - Official Thread

Picked one up and not useing it for putting yet. But for those 140'-100' low overhead shots they are awesome.

Yesterday I ran a very successful little event at a local tournament featuring the Ion. I had a bunch of softs and proto mediums to let people try between/after rounds and I ran a putting and short drive CTP contest.

For the putting contest I had 5 putters @ 20', 30', and 40' and I totaled the number of makes for each person's score. I had 3 divisions and the winner from each got an Ion. For the driving contest the shot was about 230' and I had 3 divisions as well. Surprisingly, the Rec division had the CTP!

Anyway, the reaction to the Ion was overwhelmingly positive. Also, the preference was split about 50/50 between the mediums and the softs.

discspeed said:
Anyway, the reaction to the Ion was overwhelmingly positive. Also, the preference was split about 50/50 between the mediums and the softs.

The few people I've let try mine have liked them as well. One of them hit a 40 footer on the first throw!

I just wanted to say that I love canning long putts with my 1st run Ion. I am sad that I lost my nicely seasoned one and hope that you will run some sub 170 mediums.

so is anybody getting rid of a 16xg ion? 33 pages sounds like it's worth throwing for fun at least.

For whatever reason, the Ion's stability seems pretty proportional to weight. The 174-175s really have some stall/fade at the end of the flight, but lighter than that and they start to really glide straight and drift until they run out of speed. I have a couple 172s that I really like, and if it were not for the existence of wind they would be my main players instead of the heavies. The extra couple of grams really helps in headwinds though. Yesterday I was able to get my heavy Ions to hold straight for 280' into 15-20mph winds. The lighter ones were helpless in those conditions.

I'm going to test out my Ion today. It's a soft blue with GGGT hotstamp. Were these part of the first run or is this a later run. I got it as part of the players pack for the Winter Carnival this year.

Mine has a black rim and is 172. It feels nice, but the grip texture on the inner rim/flight plate is a little weird. Maybe I'm just not used to it, but it somehow seems slick. :?:

Can't wait to try it out. I'll post my findings tomorrow.

Frank Delicious said:
unless you want a disc you can't throw farther than 200' you will want a 170-172.

I was just thinking of using it for putting. No driving.

juju said:
Mine has a black rim and is 172. It feels nice, but the grip texture on the inner rim/flight plate is a little weird. Maybe I'm just not used to it, but it somehow seems slick. :?:

Can't wait to try it out. I'll post my findings tomorrow.

I'm with you...I like the feel of the top better than the bottom (especially in the FL humidity). They got a lot of feedback after the first runs though, and it seems most like the textured bottom. I've gotten used to it though, and along with the floppiness it reminds me not to grab it hard, but rather cradle it when I throw.

black udder said:
Frank Delicious said:
unless you want a disc you can't throw farther than 200' you will want a 170-172.

I was just thinking of using it for putting. No driving.

Right now I just use mine mainly for approaches, and sometimes for putts. I don't drive well with ANY putter at this point.

Played league last night with it in the bag and was very impressed. Before the round, I practiced putting (about 50 putts) and was pleasantly surprised. It held a good line without too much fade and didn't skip very far on the misses. I usually putt with KC Aviars so the softness took a little bit to get used to.

During the round, I primarily used it for upshots and only putted with it on the shorties (15 and in). All of my upshots were parked within a few feet which was awesome considering the wind we had. It definitely has some movement if you give it enough speed, but for the 100-175 footers, this thing shines. I'm definitely going to keep it in the bag for awhile...great job MVP.

I'm now holding my new IONstien dye and it is awesome. :mrgreen:

2qxw66c.jpg

I saw them in a dye thread over at dgcr and pm's the author about it.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14613

I had a chance to hold that fabulous orange Ionstein, they are definitely some of the purtiest discs I have ever seen.

Latest posts