• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

MVP Disc Sports - Official Thread

what'shisname said:
I saw them in a dye thread over at dgcr and pm's the author about it.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14613

I have the third one. Many thanks to Zenbot for making this wicked design and sending it to us!

BCR-9er said:
what'shisname said:
I saw them in a dye thread over at dgcr and pm's the author about it.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14613

I have the third one. Many thanks to Erich Schaffer (AKA Zenbot) for making this wicked design and sending it to us!
Zenbot's secret identity is out! oh shi- :wink:

Jesse B 707 said:

Oh, I didn't realize his identity was suppose to be a secret. He posted the pictures on the facebook fan page, so you could figure out who it was. But I edited my post just in case.

BCR-9er said:
Jesse B 707 said:

Oh, I didn't realize his identity was suppose to be a secret. He posted the pictures on the facebook fan page, so you could figure out who it was. But I edited my post just in case.
Hardly matters since it's in Jesse's quote anyway. =)

I went out to practice putting today with my soft Ions today and I was having trouble with the nose angle and amount of spin. I wasn't consistent from any distance. I realized a couple of things: first that I don't like to spin my putter quite as much as the softs take, I'm more of a pitch putter, and that my softs felt considerably softer since spring became summer here in FL.

Right when I first realized this I went in and got my medium Ions out. Immediately I noticed that they felt much softer then they had when it was in the upper 60s and low humidity. I started putting with them and I was banging them down with a very consistent release. I putted a couple hundred just to make sure it wasn't a fluke. It was pretty windy as I live on a canal 1.5 miles from the Gulf of Mexico, with lots of swirling and direction shifting. The mediums felt so natural. I can't wait to take them to the course. I will still use the softs for approaches, long putts, and drives where I want a lot of spin on them. I may even use them to putt next winter when it gets colder and they are stiffer.

BCR-9er said:
Jesse B 707 said:

iz just jokin' i dont know the guy or have any idea if he wants his name on the internets :wink:

Waddly Hobbins said:
The wait on these medium Ions is starting to kill me... :cry:

They are going to be worth the wait! I think more people are going to like to putt with these compared with the softs, which are still the superior of the two driver-wise imo...but I still need to throw the mediums more off the tee.

discspeed said:
Waddly Hobbins said:

They are going to be worth the wait! I think more people are going to like to putt with these compared with the softs, which are still the superior of the two driver-wise imo...but I still need to throw the mediums more off the tee.

I've put a new order from the States on hold for a long while after hearing of medium Ions. I'm targeting putter driving but since I haven't thrown softs and do use multiple putters for driving thanks to short technical holes aplenty near me. I'm getting both versions to see which I need or prefer or will use both. I like to use faster more overstable discs for long drives and not so hard fading discs for putts. Since elevation is a big part of local course design it's situation dependent whether I pick a straight less stable putter or a meathook or something in between. Switch distance between putter types varies a lot situationally considering the ever varying winds by sea side.

And if the situation ain't complex enough I'm trying out pulling power using less stable discs than meathooks for ever increasing distances in all conditions to save my rickety body. Lucky me I've got a lot of field practice and on course putter usage under my belt. Or I'd be overwhelmed. This is not an easy exercise for new players considering I've thrown about a dozen different putters in practice in shootouts of different types in the last week. And the characteristics of the putters are wildly different ranging from Rattlers to Sinus AP and VP in the piggy end of the spectrum and a lot in the middle. So you can imagine I'm not deterred but anxious to get my hands on both types of Ions for testing :)

JR said:
discspeed said:
Waddly Hobbins said:

I've put a new order from the States on hold for a long while after hearing of medium Ions. I'm targeting putter driving but since I haven't thrown softs and do use multiple putters for driving thanks to short technical holes aplenty near me. I'm getting both versions to see which I need or prefer or will use both. I like to use faster more overstable discs for long drives and not so hard fading discs for putts. Since elevation is a big part of local course design it's situation dependent whether I pick a straight less stable putter or a meathook or something in between. Switch distance between putter types varies a lot situationally considering the ever varying winds by sea side.

And if the situation ain't complex enough I'm trying out pulling power using less stable discs than meathooks for ever increasing distances in all conditions to save my rickety body. Lucky me I've got a lot of field practice and on course putter usage under my belt. Or I'd be overwhelmed. This is not an easy exercise for new players considering I've thrown about a dozen different putters in practice in shootouts of different types in the last week. And the characteristics of the putters are wildly different ranging from Rattlers to Sinus AP and VP in the piggy end of the spectrum and a lot in the middle. So you can imagine I'm not deterred but anxious to get my hands on both types of Ions for testing :)
Just a note JR, Powergrip.fi is getting IONs, they're already on their way, should be available in a few weeks. That place easily has the best selection when it comes to Finnish stores.

I used my medium Ions during my handicap today and I putted great with them. Even when I missed I felt very confident I knew exactly what went wrong. I hit 25-40' putts on over half the holes, every one straight in. I was lofting them just a bit above the basket on the apex and they were falling straight in. I can't wait to get some more mediums with the new stamp to practice with.

BCR-9er said:
Here are two new stores that carry the ION.

NNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just used up the last of the gift certs I had with prime on other stuff, cause I didn't think it was going to happen after months of waiting for them to get it. :(

Strauss said:
Does anyone have any inside info on when the medium Ion's will be avaliable?
We apologize for the delays in the medium run. With Maple Valley Plastics bringing in some new work they have been a little caught up and getting all of that organized. Within that period we were able to get a small proto batch of mediums. Discspeed has been filling in on some good reviews as he has been testing a few. We also have received our hotstamping press and have ordered the hotstamp die. We are hoping that if all goes well we will be able to start stamping our future runs including mediums, so we have been waiting on that. With all of this, we are going to be running our next batch of mediums shortly after all of this is buttoned down and ready to roll. We do apologize for the delay, we just want to ensure everything is correct and prepared accordingly to avoid any complications, mix ups, or mistakes, keeping and ensuring high quality and consistency.

With all that said, once everything is in line, this will happen.

Thanks,
~Chad

I will continue to tease about how great the mediums are to putt with. They are straighter than the softs and I get a cleaner release. They drop a little more, but I like this. It was weird pretty much having to aim straight ahead with the softs...I have a little drop in my natural putt, so the mediums feel perfect. I also don't feel like I have to snap them as much, more pitch, less spin. I learned to putt with the softs, but I strayed away from my natural style a bit and that brought inconsistency and unpredictability. Now with the mediums I'm putting as well as I have in a long time. I can't wait to play my next tournament!

So...you say there are some mediums just sitting around the factory w/o stamps on them?

Is there any chance of purchasing blank medium Ions direct from manufacturer? 8)

Latest posts