• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

MVP Disc Sports - Official Thread

Since I'm putting with the Mediums, I've been driving them more as well. They hold the line a little better than the softs, but they don't glide quite as much or fly quite as fast. Yesterday I was throwing dead straight shots 250-300' that had no turn or fade. It was also flying on just slight anhyzers after I released it with 1 or 2 degrees of anny. The medium Ion and the Fuse fly almost identically at different speeds/ranges.

you're making me want the mediums now, just when I'm getting pretty settled on the softs... :x

I guess I'll have to pick a couple up and see how they fly once they're out...

I have finally got my red 173 Ion to 7/10 and am really surprised how flippy it got. It has gone from pretty stable and willing to hold a hyzer to flipping up and finishing right unless I give it a lot of height. I don't really like how it seemed to go from stable to flippy in the span of a week but don't know if this one is just an anomaly or not. I took it out and replaced it with a newer one that I am going to try and beat in and see if it wears more gradually.

I'm kinda thinking out loud here but I am wondering if what throws me off on this Ion being flippy is that it still looks really good and I am used to using base line putters who look appropriately beat up with they are flippy. This Ion could be passed for 8+/10 if I cleaned it up probably. So maybe it didn't beat as quickly as I think it did and I am just thinking "look at this, it looks practically new and it is already flipping. It shouldn't be flipping like this". I am going to have to pay attention to how this new one beats.

Also the Ion is now my 3rd favorite putter behind the wizard and rhyno. It probably will never take either of those putters' spot but it is firmly in the third spot.

Frank Delicious said:
I have finally got my red 173 Ion to 7/10 and am really surprised how flippy it got. It has gone from pretty stable and willing to hold a hyzer to flipping up and finishing right unless I give it a lot of height. I don't really like how it seemed to go from stable to flippy in the span of a week but don't know if this one is just an anomaly or not. I took it out and replaced it with a newer one that I am going to try and beat in and see if it wears more gradually.

I'm kinda thinking out loud here but I am wondering if what throws me off on this Ion being flippy is that it still looks really good and I am used to using base line putters who look appropriately beat up with they are flippy. This Ion could be passed for 8+/10 if I cleaned it up probably. So maybe it didn't beat as quickly as I think it did and I am just thinking "look at this, it looks practically new and it is already flipping. It shouldn't be flipping like this". I am going to have to pay attention to how this new one beats.

Also the Ion is now my 3rd favorite putter behind the wizard and rhyno. It probably will never take either of those putters' spot but it is firmly in the third spot.

Did the sudden flippyness coincide with warmer weather?

Now that you mention it yes yes it has but yesterday it was only 65 or so and the disc was still flippy.

I haven't gotten one broken in yet, but I've been rotating a few so none have really taken a beating.. I really like the mediums...As I get used to them, I could possibly see myself going with them for everything since I've never really liked soft discs and its only getting hotter down here...

Will the mediums be the stiffest that these get or is the medium already really stiff? Could you compare it to another plastic stiffness (preferrably not Gateway :lol: ).

juju said:
Will the mediums be the stiffest that these get or is the medium already really stiff? Could you compare it to another plastic stiffness (preferrably not Gateway :lol: ).

Its a little difficult to compare since its a champ-type plastic. Its about the same flex as KC Pro or stiff dx.

Frank Delicious said:

I'm starting to wonder if something like this has happened to me as well. I've been driving with my 174g yellow Ion all spring, more so than any other disc (about half the holes on my home courses). Over the last two weeks I've started to have a lot of trouble getting it to hold lines on longer throws. As an approach disc I have to either put it on a small hyzer towards the basket or throw straight at it...I cannot count on it to fade towards it anymore, which is probably a good thing as an approach disc, but for driving with it I cannot manage quite as long of lines anymore since they need so much more height. I'm looking forward to trying the mediums, since they'll hopefully stay a little more stable, but I love how the softs just drop if I hit a tree. I doubt the mediums will be quite as good at that...hopefully they don't skip like most other plastic.

EDIT: I could also be trying to hard to put them on the longer lines instead of letting the disc do its thing. I'll have to devote some field practice to them this afternoon or tomorrow.

The medium protos are a bit LESS stable than the softs...But I'm guessing they are going to break in slower as well.

discspeed said:
The medium protos are a bit LESS stable than the softs...But I'm guessing they are going to break in slower as well.

Dang, I was thinking you said they were more stable. Either way they got a guaranteed two discs coming from me. I didn't like the softness at first, but I'm getting used to it. I'm probably taking too much advantage of it on wooded/tight holes.

I like the original one I have, but it needs to be grippier when wet to make my bag.

Now that I've gotten about a week of practice with my medium Ions I must say that they are the nicest putter I've ever used. They are so straight on approaches/drives that they make the softs seem touchy. The mediums also drop much straighter. They do not need as much snap to fly straight either, which makes them more accurate for me. For putting they come out of my hand cleaner and show more consistent flight behavior than anything I've thrown. I like popping them up with the slightest bit of hyzer and watching them smoothly drop in the chains. They even seem to get better action off the chains as they do not have the very late low speed fade of the softs...or perhaps its just because they don't need as much spin to fly straight. I'm not really a spin putter, so there are much more natural to me than the softs. Compared to the Voodoos I was using, the medium Ion flies smoother, is a touch faster, and glides a little better. The medium Ion is also much better in the wind for me than either the Voodoo or the soft Ion. This has a lot to do with the cleanliness of my release I'm sure as with the Voodoo/soft Ion I often had a touch of OAT on my putt.

discspeed said:
Now that I've gotten about a week of practice with my medium Ions I must say that they are the nicest putter I've ever used. They are so straight on approaches/drives that they make the softs seem touchy. The mediums also drop much straighter. They do not need as much snap to fly straight either, which makes them more accurate for me. For putting they come out of my hand cleaner and show more consistent flight behavior than anything I've thrown. I like popping them up with the slightest bit of hyzer and watching them smoothly drop in the chains. They even seem to get better action off the chains as they do not have the very late low speed fade of the softs...or perhaps its just because they don't need as much spin to fly straight. I'm not really a spin putter, so there are much more natural to me than the softs. Compared to the Voodoos I was using, the medium Ion flies smoother, is a touch faster, and glides a little better. The medium Ion is also much better in the wind for me than either the Voodoo or the soft Ion. This has a lot to do with the cleanliness of my release I'm sure as with the Voodoo/soft Ion I often had a touch of OAT on my putt.

What weights are you using in the mediums for putting (not driving just putting)? I have a 175g soft and I notice it has a bit of fade on say a 30 footer. I admit it could be just my release/technique too. I'm a straddle putter trying to mimic Nikko, or so I try. :wink:

xeroxed44 said:
What weights are you using in the mediums for putting (not driving just putting)? I have a 175g soft and I notice it has a bit of fade on say a 30 footer. I admit it could be just my release/technique too. I'm a straddle putter trying to mimic Nikko, or so I try. :wink:

My mediums are all 175. I'm a straddle putter as well. The Mediums have much less fade...pretty much none. As I said before, this is mainly due to less spin requirement for flight...Spin makes the softs fade, but they don't fly without it.

discspeed said:
My mediums are all 175. I'm a straddle putter as well. The Mediums have much less fade...pretty much none. As I said before, this is mainly due to less spin requirement for flight...Spin makes the softs fade, but they don't fly without it.

Thanks for the info... I guess sign me up as another person that is excited for the Mediums to be released!

After messing with the Ion a little bit, I think it might be coming out of the bag.
I don't know what plastic it is, but it's slippery as all hell when sweat or water touches it. We got rained out of a tournament today, lot of people ended up leaving, some stuck around and played the rest of their holes in the rain.

I ditched. But we did play half the first round with light rain, and some holes the 2nd round. I wasn't using the Ion as my main putter, but I did pull it out on putts that weren't "Must have putts". Like Longer putts that were sort of ranked as approach shots but could be considered a long putt. I had trouble keeping this thing from being slick. And I'm not digging the way my pointer finger rolls around the bead and into the inside of the rim.
It's just got a weird feel to where I can't stare at the basket, and know how parallel this thing is going to be coming out of my hand when I release to the basket.
I'm not giving up on it. I always try new stuff out.... But I found that when I pulled out my main putter (150 SS Omega), It held straight lines, and just came out of my hands consistently the same way each time like I'm used to.

I'll try to personal rounds with 100% of my approaches with the Ion, and my putts as well. See if maybe I can utilize this disc in some way/shape/form.

Anybody have one of their Ions suddenly lose glide? All of a sudden my favorite green one is now a glide-less POS. I have no idea how it happened, but maybe it got tuned by accident. I don't believe it to be just me, because all my other Ions are fine.

Latest posts