• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

MVP Disc Sports - Official Thread

I will be posting them up here first as I dont even think I will get a chance to have them on the website. And yes Monday is the day I will have them in my hands!

JR said:
I've been checking retailer sites daily lately in wait of the medium Ions.
Let's hope Powergrip gets some sales with the soft ION, I want them to get some mediums too. =)

discspeed said:
riverboy said:
Anybody have one of their Ions suddenly lose glide? All of a sudden my favorite green one is now a glide-less POS. I have no idea how it happened, but maybe it got tuned by accident. I don't believe it to be just me, because all my other Ions are fine.

I don't for the life of me see how this is possible. I have a bunch of Ions and I've played many rounds carrying like 8 and throwing them all for practice. Some days a certain disc would always be best and I would put that one in the bag. The thing is, it was different on different days. If you don't impart spin cleanly on a Ion, it does not fly the same. I suspect you just had a bad day, or some unusual form. Throw it some more and report back.
I would say your assumption is correct. It is back to it's usual flight now. During the tournament I made these observations, I was using a new approach grip. I was able to replicate this grip and use my usual grip and compare them today. I don't put nearly as much spin(or as cleanly) on it using the strange grip. I probably used this grip during the tournament to cope with the strange wind conditions. :lol:

I will be buying a medium on monday.

I have absolutely got to try one of these.

They are so cool. I still have not tried one, and it will be very different from my Challengers.... But I just gotta try one and support a new upcoming company.

I just got my mediums. They feel great...This is definitely MVP's most polished looking disc to date. I putted with them a bit and I liked them better than my protos. The blue plastic is a bit grippier. I haven't got a chance to throw any drives with them yet.

After studying my new blue mediums more I notice that this run of Ions has the biggest bead yet. It is at least twice as big as the Voodoo's...Comparable to a Challenger. I'm hoping that these will fly more stable than the protos.

Any other colors coming out for the mediums, preferably a dayglo/tennis ball color ION? 8) :wink:

I have not thrown any other ions besides my medium but she is definetely pretty stable. I can really nut on it and it won't flip over and it will for surely finish left.

BrotherDave said:
Any other colors coming out for the mediums, preferably a dayglo/tennis ball color ION? 8) :wink:

As I understand this small run of blue mediums will be followed by a larger run with all of the colors and the new stamp. These are all blue though (I've got all the colors, and the blue is my favorite).

The new Mediums for LandSharkSports.com are sitting at the doorstep at home :)! Will get them up tonight on the Forums. PM me if you preordered a few.

For those of you that have been holding out for the Medium Ions, I think you will not be disappointed. I picked one up today and I am very satisfied.

I went through a stack of say 25-30 at the store today to check consistency in the molding and differences compared to the softs. All of the mediums have share some certain differences compared to the softs, namely three things. The bead on the bottom is much more pronounced than the softs. I would say the beads are slightly larger than say a Challenger, yet not near as big as a wizard or focus. The shoulder of the mediums are up higher and finally the flight plates are super flat w/o seeing any of them slightly sunken like some softs. This leads to the medium feeling slightly larger/ more "deep dish"-esque, not extremely so, but there is a difference.

The firmness is spot on in my opinion. I can still grip into the disc while it doesn't feel floppy at all. When it comes to putting, I think the M Ion will dominate.

I just got back from driving my Ions in the practice field and lemme just say I couldn't be happier.

We are currently experiencing 23-29 mph winds here in the Twin Cities and the M Ion performed beautifully. The bigger bead on the M Ion does add some stability. I tested my two soft 174gs against my Medium 175g into headwinds and the Medium showed a definite advantage. Normally into a headwind my softs will flip up from hyzer to straight or sometimes flip into a slight anny. The M held its line and only flipped into the strongest of headwinds.

There are a few things I am predicting the Soft will execute better though. I presume that the softs will be better on tight wooded holes where you need a disc to drop dead on a hit. I also am guessing that the softs will be better for holding annies compared to the Ms.

More testing is needed, however with the Ms excelling at putting and driving .....my new M Ion easily pushed my second soft out of the bag.

175g M Ion:
302b8lw.jpg

S Ion (left) M Ion (right) showing difference in beads:
1z5j2bm.jpg

I just got back from the course and I'm very pleased with this new run of medium Ions. They are the most stable Ions to date and are a perfect compliment to my protos and my softs. My proto mediums have less of a bead and are less stable...but great for holding annies and straight shots. Its very nice to have a slightly overstable compliment. I use the softs for putts and shots that need to turn harder either hyzer or anhyzer. The softs are faster and have a better ability to carve a line and pull out at the end than the mediums. I HOPE that the large production run is this sweet!

I received my Ion "M" on Saturday, and after seeing WH's post I went to review if either of mine had that much of a difference in the beads....

For my discs, there isn't hardly any difference between the bead size of my soft and medium Ions. I received the medium directly from MVP, so I know for a fact it's a true medium (plus, it's marked "M" on the bottom of the flight plate). Plus, its is stiffer than the soft. My soft and medium Ions have a bead more similar to WH's medium Ion than his soft.

The medium is more stable than the soft, but not overwhelmingly so. It flies very nicely, and as stated previously, due to it's weight being mainly peripherally located it requires more snap than the average putter to attain the maximum glide inherent to the disc.

Got my Mediums in today and they are sweet! They really are just right! So consistent also. Haven't gotten a chance to throw yet though. Come get em!

plshrk said:
Got my Mediums in today and they are sweet! They really are just right! So consistent also. Haven't gotten a chance to throw yet though. Come get em!
have they got a giant bead like that pic?^^^^^^^^^^^^^ i dont want my Ions to fly like wizards

Latest posts