• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

MVP Disc Sports - Official Thread

Well. I got to play a round with my ION. I used it primarily for 2nd shots.

I sunk every putt I tossed with it, but I also did with my challengers..

It seemed to fly really similar, but it seemed like to lofted up higher than the challenger, and then dropped down faster than the challenger..

Either way, I liked what I saw. I'm going to keep it up and see what happens.

DPJ88 said:
It seemed to fly really similar, but it seemed like to lofted up higher than the challenger, and then dropped down faster than the challenger..

I'm guessing you didn't drive with them.

Or generate any spin on them.

The Ion probably isn't the putter for you if you're loft putting. It loves to spin. That's when they glide far and straight. Without spin they drop like a rock.

Unity said:
Or generate any spin on them.

The Ion probably isn't the putter for you if you're loft putting. It loves to spin. That's when they glide far and straight. Without spin they drop like a rock.

The mediums work great for loft putting (a loft shot has to drop straight at the end) as that is what I use them for. The soft Ions are the ones that need more spin.

Now that I have medium Ions that are slightly understable and slightly overstable I've been using the heck out of them. I'm using mediums 80-90% of the time now for putts and drives. The softs still have more glide and pull out of an anny more, so I use them to get a little more distance than I get out of the mediums. The mediums feel more sturdy in the air though and are better for perfectly straight shots imo.

discspeed said:
The mediums work great for loft putting (a loft shot has to drop straight at the end) as that is what I use them for. The soft Ions are the ones that need more spin.

I stand corrected. I've yet to throw my mediums. They should be arriving today, which means this weekend is probably the earliest chance I'll have to throw them.

BrotherDave said:
Any ETA for the stamped Mediums to hit the shelves? Thanks.

We expect the next run of mediums to become available in 1-2 weeks. However, there is no ETA for stamped IONs.

BCR-9er said:
BrotherDave said:
Any ETA for the stamped Mediums to hit the shelves? Thanks.
We expect the next run of mediums to become available in 1-2 weeks. However, there is no ETA for stamped IONs.
I look forward to some stamped ones, but hopefully there will continue to be blanks available :)

If not blanks, a nearly-nude stamp, like the old Polaris nudes. I hear a lot of positive comments about the lack of decoration on the Ion ... a blank-ish minimal stamp would be suhweet. OR some impractical stuff like 8 different stamps available... :idea: :x :lol:

Anyone else throwing the Mediums yet? It was a pain learning to putt with the softs and then switching to the mediums, but I'm glad I did. As a putter they fly absolutely perfect for my style. As drivers they are the best I've ever used. You can really power into these and they do not flip, but at the same time it does not take a hard throw to get them to hold a line. They are stable for an AMAZING range of speeds, even more so than the Wizard.

For the record, I wouldn't necessarily say that I loft putt. I just used the word to describe the flight path.

I do generate spin on my puts, but it is more of a spin/pitch putt hybrid.

At any rate. My medium putts like it should, it definitely feels like it has more glide than my challenger?

But you guys are correct, I have not yet tried driving with my ION.

DPJ88 said:
For the record, I wouldn't necessarily say that I loft putt. I just used the word to describe the flight path.

I do generate spin on my puts, but it is more of a spin/pitch putt hybrid.

At any rate. My medium putts like it should, it definitely feels like it has more glide than my challenger?

But you guys are correct, I have not yet tried driving with my ION.

Sounds like we have a somewhat similar putting style. Ions definitely glide much more than the Challenger. If you had a Challenger and an Ion that were the exact same stiffness, I would expect the Challenger to drop faster. One thing the two have in common is the very small diameter (21.0 cm), a bit smaller than all the other putters.

From my test putts in my apartment(20-35ft) I loved the M Ion. I plan on using the Ion as my jump putter. it goes right where you release it and stays flat(not a lot of vertical movement which I like).

From my drives during rounds on the course, I hate the ion. I think this is mainly my own fault and it is a good thing. The Ion seems to go right where you put it, so it should be a good disc for improving my accuracy if I can adjust to it. The times I have put the Ion on the line I intended, it has been beautiful.

Medium 175 Soft 173 dfirst drives approaches and putts today. Soft seems to fade harder and flip a little worse into a headwind which was too much for both. Tremendous distance as drivers in calm and rear wind conditions. Takes much more oomph from early acceleration than Wizards or Ridge for me. Summit wasn't in the same league but the it was the only one of these that almost competed in height keeping ability to Ions on drives. I'm really impressed by user error forgiveness of the Ions as well as line keeping ability. Nice straight laser putter but it wants to be throw fast to maintain height as well as Spikes. Both blow by far if there's no metal hit when one throws from 20'+ in a laser without or with little loft. Nailed two 40'+ lasers with aiming to about 4" above the top of the basket hitting chains at the halfway height. Missed similar throws blew by 25'. Wind may have been a factor in the blow by distance.

I'm super impressed especially driving anny but I threw without my index finger being taped for weeks and tried a new grip. Only index finger under the rim every other finger except thumb rolled into a fist. My short fingers may have been troublesome at the release before. Now it's just beauty giving height and anny and watching Ions sailing right at constant angle to 250' 30' right on one hole where I threw 10 times with 8 putts 5 of which were short with two under two feet from acing. Wowzers. Me, grip change or the disc? Dunno. Don't know exactly how long the longest throws were but especially super high lines had super little fade. At least as far as every other putter so far in the same holes. Got good results out of a Summit and a Ridge too. All worthy but differently behaving discs.

Not every metal or chain hit stuck but better than anything I've seen so far. So for this reason alone the Ion is a most worthy disc. In the bag. Possibly even as a putter seeing as I just figured out how to throw with nice power, again, which lasering with Ions requires at longer ranges if one wants to keep things simple like me and not take aiming offset for gravity like me. Me likey simple when possible. Some of you may know that I attack complex at ease without breaking a sweat. Running long laers throwing fast is not so much living dangerously but knowing that first shot make rate improvement plus not too bad second shot miss rate adds up to my best so far results outside of a couple of months of magic with a Rattler. Putting world class then. Which messed up my mangled arm in the long term from the height of that disc. Still can't make too many reps with a Rattler compared hammering exercise putt after another for a long while when needed with thinner discs. Ion is at my upper extremity of usability and probably would be too high it weren't for the curved rim to flight plate transition. Which is tremendously helpful and a great idea.

Now mids and drivers with heavy material on the outside edge of the disc and a light core thank you please, please, please! :-D Low 160s for laser putters might be nice too and for younger people.

More observations after more throws.

You wouldn't happen to have any extra Ms you don't necessarily need JR? Would dearly like to try some out. =)

Not unless mafa wants a soft one instead of the medium I planned on selling him. I'm waiting to hear from him. I will likely order more at some point. I'll contact you when that happens. No plans for the near future though.

For overall usage for a laser putter and driver that doesn't bend out of shape on hard rips a medium is superior. Soft sticks slightly better in chains than a medium. My gripe with the soft one is the harder fade when putting. I have too few putts and jump putts to say for sure but my initial impression is that Ions drop fast in rear winds vs the rising in headwinds. It doesn't match other putters I've used in rear vs headwind sink/lift ratio. I've made a lot of nice putts with that soft Ion over the weekend. I wasn't carrying a medium in this trip and saw the disc bend on hard drives.

Well I'm at least taking a trial run with dropping my Challengers for Medium Ions for a while.

To me, they fly like good wizards do. Which is to say, laser straight, with almost no fade, and can be thrown as hard as you like without flipping. I get waaaay more distance with the Ions over the Challengers, which is taking some adjusting, cause I've overthrown lots of shots with them.

But needless to say, I'm impressed, and I'm going to give them a while in the bag, cause I think they're just awesome.

I got a little bit of time to throw the medium Ion this weekend. I went to my local pitch and putt course and brought one soft and one medium. I drove and putted with each one on each hole to try and get a comparison between the two.

The medium was different from the softs, but I think they compliment each other nicely. I've definitely become used to putting with the softs, and I wasn't as accurate with the mediums. The softs I could just throw straight at the basket, and they'd be perfectly straight. The mediums seemed to require a little more height management. I've also become accustomed to the feel of the softs, so the stiffer plastic is taking a little getting used to. That being said, once I get used to the height management and feel, I think these will make fantastic putters. They seems to have zero fade (at least from 40 feet and in) regardless of how hard or soft I threw them. I didn't try too many longer putts with them, but I see them working great once I'm used to them.

For driving, I still prefer the softs. They just seem to work better. Besides the glide and low speed fade, I like the soft plastic while driving through trees. I'll definitely be keeping a soft in the bag for short drives, long approaches, and really long putts. I feel like they may hold up better for putting in the wind as well, but I have yet to test/see this.

Powergrip just sent me my complimentary soft ION, hopefully I'll get it tomorrow. Can't wait to try it out!

So today I took my beloved Challengers completely out of my bag and went with my Medium ION.

Putting wise, it was great. I do a sort of pitch/spin hybrid and it floats (read: glides) very well and has zero fade.

It floats too well, in fact, it floated right over the basket on long puts a couple of times!

Driving wise, I wasn't AS happy with it. I can grip the glossier portions of the disc very well, but my grip kept slipping on the satin plastic on the underside of the wing. I don't like the feel of it. When I putt, my fingers are extended outward in a fan beyond the satin plastic so I grip it fun, but when I drive I grab closer to the rim and it just slips.

DPJ88 said:
So today I took my beloved Challengers completely out of my bag and went with my Medium ION.

Putting wise, it was great. I do a sort of pitch/spin hybrid and it floats (read: glides) very well and has zero fade.

It floats too well, in fact, it floated right over the basket on long puts a couple of times!

Driving wise, I wasn't AS happy with it. I can grip the glossier portions of the disc very well, but my grip kept slipping on the satin plastic on the underside of the wing. I don't like the feel of it. When I putt, my fingers are extended outward in a fan beyond the satin plastic so I grip it fun, but when I drive I grab closer to the rim and it just slips.

That weird satiny texture has drawn a lot of criticism, and I have to say, I agree with it. As happy as I've been with my medium Ions, I do not like the feel of that texture either.

Latest posts