• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

MVP Disc Sports - Official Thread

Well, driving was better last night. I seem to be able to throw the mediums much farther for drives. It has nothing to do with the glide. The biggest problem is that the soft still turns over too much. I have been throwing my most heavily used soft however. I have one that hasn't been used too much and another that is practically new. I'll have to give those a shot and see how them fly. If it is because of it being broken in, then the softs must break in fairly quickly since I've only been throwing it this spring.

I could write off the whole day's experiences though. Two days ago I was loving my mediums for putting and the softs for driving. Yesterday is was the exact opposite...300 foot drives with the medium, but I couldn't putt with it to save my life. I was, however, drilling putts with the soft again. I think it is going to take a lot of dedicated Ion time in the field to determine which Ion is going to be doing what for me.

The softs turn over faster with a little OAT than the mediums do. The blue mediums are incredibly solid stability-wise. I played with this giant dude from Mississippi today who liked to throw hard and nose down. I let him throw my Ion on a 270' hole and he torqued it like a driver. It held a long left to right flight that resisted turning the whole way and got good distance. Those blues fly like slightly broken in Wizards with a touch more speed and glide.

jubuttib I will PM you but keep an eye out for local shops just in case. If you see some let me know.

I really relaxed my grip yesterday after some wobbly goblins in headwinds then a particularly bad rear wind grip that was hard and somewhat strong armed. The super light grip combined with very high to high apexes and slight nose up resulted in flat flights without wobble that I could detect. OTOH they maxed out at 270'. I didn't have time to optimize heights. I did use 3 degree initial hyzer now. Without pushing the index finger tip to the flight plate bottom. When I said I didn't have time I threw 10 hours yesterday with two field practice sessions and 60 holes on two courses with less than 45 in breaks in between. I got other discs yesterday and was testing them out and seeing if my body could take return to elbow well forward with disc close to the right pec without pain. Danged deltoid(s?).

Somehow I got lucky and found what appears to be a FR Ion yesterday, I'm going to throw it today and can't wait but I was curious if I should remove the flash or not? Any advantages of leaving it on?

Cavere said:
Somehow I got lucky and found what appears to be a FR Ion yesterday, I'm going to throw it today and can't wait but I was curious if I should remove the flash or not? Any advantages of leaving it on?
The flashing serves as a kind of bead. I have not tried removing it, but it would probably be less of a disc.

Went out and played two rounds with the Ion, and this is seriously the straightest disc I have ever thrown. I have never felt as comfortable putting 30-40' on baskets sitting on hills. I can not wait to pick up a heavier second run Ion to use in the wind. My wizard is going to have a spot in the back seat of my car from now on.

I got my first Ion ace today during my weekly handicap and it earned me $100! It was a beautiful straight shot over a lake about 280' that dropped straight in the chains without ever turning or fading. I used my proto medium Ion...I love that disc!

Don't know why but I'm having to adjust my grip for this disc quite severely. Something about the combination of shape and softness probably. Bends in a funny way when I grip it tightly, which subconsciously makes me loosen my grip, which leads to inconsistency. The softness really jumps out because I'm using Medium and firmer Soft Wizards for putting at the moment, both of which are way stiffer than X-Link Firm for a start. I'm loving the flight though, but feels funny in hand. Need to get a medium (or even more preferably a firm when you get around to doing those) at some point.

Funny thing is I still have no problems using my R-Pro P1, which is floppier than the ION, for driving.

discspeed said:
I got my first Ion ace today during my weekly handicap and it earned me $100! It was a beautiful straight shot over a lake about 280' that dropped straight in the chains without ever turning or fading. I used my proto medium Ion...I love that disc!
Sweet! Very nice Ace!

Based on my last session reinforcing earlier experiences for driving I get good consistent results only when I won't strong arm (meh it's fun to rip overstable putters like drivers can be heehee) and keep a light grip while not pushing the index finger to the bottom of the flight plate.

My changed arm muscle tension has added so much power for my putts that I need to recalibrate everything. Despite being tired and arm nerves being shot yesterday I was overpowering bad and threw over or too fast to the chains and even a soft Ion bounced out. I switched to that because the added snap made a bounce out from the center of the pole with a medium. The added snap really took off the slightly harder fade of the soft Ion. So the straightness ain't a problem. Pulling back power is.

So the Ions can be tamed for driving as long as you mind your form and don't attack the arm pull with the taste of blood in your mouth. I was giving a little hyzer into headwinds without problems. But it is not the easiest of discs for driving far concerning the cleanliness of form of the thrower. I'd say in the middle of putters because even leaving out lids there are many much more touchy putters for driving far.

Production run of Medium Ions complete!

2lav3b4.jpg

Coming soon to retailers.

Hmm.

so I just got back from a round.. My first run Medium has only seen 3 rounds, no tree hits, only 1 drive which landed in the fairway the rest has just been putting.

It is pretty noticeably taco'd. I wondering if its always been like this and I just never noticed, or if it has just deformed this quickly..

Now that I have been inspecting it, I also notice that the softer plastic on the wing is kind of zig-zaggy like the stereotpycal mustard on a hotdog type wave.

At one side there is almost no bead of blue plastic showing, and the other side there is a considerable amount. In between these two extremes it tends to vary, sometimes being high up on the shoulder on the disc, sometimes being a little low.

It seems to fly just fine, and I would credit any poorer flights to my putting form, but I don't have another ION to compare flights with.

I guess I will have to get me a new black production run and compare it.

DPJ88 said:
At one side there is almost no bead of blue plastic showing, and the other side there is a considerable amount. In between these two extremes it tends to vary, sometimes being high up on the shoulder on the disc, sometimes being a little low.

It seems to fly just fine, and I would credit any poorer flights to my putting form, but I don't have another ION to compare flights with.

I guess I will have to get me a new black production run and compare it.

Sounds like the Medium I just got. I haven't thrown it. But the overmold was mis-molded. MVP really needs to get the overmolding process fixed because it seems this problem is too common from what I've seen. I guess I can just never order an Ion online again. Have to see in person to make sure the overmold is placed correctly. It's weird to have effectively a giant bead on one side of the disc, and a micro bead on the other side. Last time I got an Ion like this, I was actually about to visit the town the store was in so I just brought the defective disc with me to trade for a good one. But now I may not get back there until next year so I'm not sure if its worth shipping it back or if I'll just keep it as a practice disc, and learn my lesson not to order it online again.

Leopard said:
those look awesome :)

i might want my entire contest haul in red, grey, and black :D
wait WTF? mr "art contests are terrible......blah blah" sandbags and wins the contest? Son i am disappoint

EDIT: and yeah black on black looks F-ing amazing

The medium Ion is my new putter and has completely replaced my wizards. It was a smooth transition too. Slightly less HSS and about the same LSS. Now I just need to get a couple from the new run and make sure they stay like this and I'll be sold.

That's a wicked picture too, BCR.

Anyone know how many of the previous run of mediums were run?