• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

MVP Disc Sports - Official Thread

See? it blows me away that manufacturer's don't make more black discs. They always sell like crazy!

Jeronimo said:
See? it blows me away that manufacturer's don't make more black discs. They always sell like crazy!
yeah, it's rough that Vibram only runs black for FR stuff, it's definitely the most natural/best looking color to go with their damn logo

Yea! Bright orange! Finally a color that I can find in the shade. Those pinks are purdy too. When are these production runs hitting the shelves? I've got a b-day coming up dammit.

Wow. I went to the Ion factory yesterday and I was blown away. Every Ion made is taken from the mold by either one of the owners, their personal friend, or a very skilled (plastic expert) worker. After each run has been molded with both parts, the Richardsons take them all home and inspect and weigh each individually. They showed me how they fixed each issue that has come up when molding the Ion from the beginning to now. These new runs look AMAZING. I did not see one disc with a misaligned overmold, and all had the overmold high so that the bead was perfect and distinct. They were taking special precautions to make sure of this. When I was there they were running the "storm trooper" white and black soft Ions. I also got to check out the black ones (which look better than any other black plastic I've ever seen--they look shiny like the painted surface of a new sportscar). I haven't been to any other disc factories, but I'm 100% sure that MVP's quality control and problem solving ability is unmatched in the industry. I was completely amazed by how ambitious, intelligent, and resourceful these young entrepreneurs were. They really have a pure vision to make the highest quality golf discs out there. They are doing 3 times the work and making a fraction of the profit of the big boys, but they are doing what they love. They showed me the operation with every bit of enthusiasm and excitement as Willy Wonka showing off his most prized convections.

After checking out the factory we went and played a VERY hilly course. We were all throwing new Ions up and down hills in wind gusts up to 30 mph, and they were holding amazingly. All of the new Ions are a touch more stable than the early runs, especially in the HSS dept. I already loved the Ion, but after meeting the Richardsons and taking in the vision of MVP disc sports I'm closing to changing my favorite disc...Thanks to Chad, Brad, and MVP for a great day (and a couple of beautiful new Ions--I got a storm trooper and a swirly "creamsicle" orange medium).

As this is a 45 page thread, and I just don't have the time to look through every page, have there been any dyes on these yet? These look like wonderful discs to dye, nothing to remove, and they look (at least the initial ones) to be clear enough to get a bottom dye on them.

Edit: Disregard, thanks to the search, I found a handful of them. Soooo nevermind.

discspeed said:
When I was there they were running the "storm trooper" white and black soft Ions. I also got to check out the black ones (which look better than any other black plastic I've ever seen--they look shiny like the painted surface of a new sportscar)...

Can't wait for storm troopers! I'll definitely snag a couple blacks once they're available.

discspeed said:
All of the new Ions are a touch more stable than the early runs, especially in the HSS dept.
That's what I like to hear! I can't wait to get a hold of one.

Man, black with most any other color overmold would look dope. I'd like to see lime green, yellow, red to complement the black. What color were the ones at the shop?

uNicedmeMan said:
Man, black with most any other color overmold would look dope. I'd like to see lime green, yellow, red to complement the black. What color were the ones at the shop?

Though I wouldn't rule that out at some point, when I talked to Chad it was clear that he wants the black overmold to be part of the MVP/Ion brand signature. Beyond this there are several other reasons to keep the overmold the same...First, with the difficulties lining up the overmold with two different stiffnesses of plastic, it is wise to place consistency as first priority and keep the overmolds the same. Different dyes do affect shrink rates, so different colored overmolds could shrink more or less, affecting how it fits together with the core, and make a less consistent Ion. Also, black goes well with every color, and this also takes disc discoloration from impacts out of the equation.

And here I am slowly falling out of love with my ION.

I keep having slip-outs on my tosses from that textured underside. That or I overcompensate and grip lock.

It putts very well, but so does my challengers.

I don't know. I'm still up in the air :?

I still want to order myself a black/black medium.

www.LandSharkSports.com just made their order from MVP for all of the new colors! Keep a look out! Should have next week! Ordered all the good new colors :)

discspeed said:
Wow. I went to the Ion factory yesterday and I was blown away. Every Ion made is taken from the mold by either one of the owners, their personal friend, or a very skilled (plastic expert) worker. After each run has been molded with both parts, the Richardsons take them all home and inspect and weigh each individually. They showed me how they fixed each issue that has come up when molding the Ion from the beginning to now. These new runs look AMAZING. I did not see one disc with a misaligned overmold, and all had the overmold high so that the bead was perfect and distinct. They were taking special precautions to make sure of this. When I was there they were running the "storm trooper" white and black soft Ions. I also got to check out the black ones (which look better than any other black plastic I've ever seen--they look shiny like the painted surface of a new sportscar). I haven't been to any other disc factories, but I'm 100% sure that MVP's quality control and problem solving ability is unmatched in the industry. I was completely amazed by how ambitious, intelligent, and resourceful these young entrepreneurs were. They really have a pure vision to make the highest quality golf discs out there. They are doing 3 times the work and making a fraction of the profit of the big boys, but they are doing what they love. They showed me the operation with every bit of enthusiasm and excitement as Willy Wonka showing off his most prized convections.

After checking out the factory we went and played a VERY hilly course. We were all throwing new Ions up and down hills in wind gusts up to 30 mph, and they were holding amazingly. All of the new Ions are a touch more stable than the early runs, especially in the HSS dept. I already loved the Ion, but after meeting the Richardsons and taking in the vision of MVP disc sports I'm closing to changing my favorite disc...Thanks to Chad, Brad, and MVP for a great day (and a couple of beautiful new Ions--I got a storm trooper and a swirly "creamsicle" orange medium).

That's great! Congrats on the Storm Trooper hopefully I'll see one of those soon as I've been waiting to get another one. Black would be effin awesome as well, can't wait to get on of them!

8)

Medium Ions have hit the stores! Grab them from your favorite store while they have your favorite color! We look forward to hearing your feedback and reviews.

I staked claim to one of the black mediums on Myspace and I got it at GGGT today! Can't wait to throw it at Bryant Lake DGC tomorrow. I'm going early just to throw some putts with both of my Ions.

^^^^Damn baller, I hear yah. 8)

I splurged and got a pink and orange medium myself. Happy B-day to me.