• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

MVP Disc Sports - Official Thread

jubuttib said:
Side-note: I think the plastic injector has four nozzles/four holed nozzle, my Stormtrooper is a bit swirly and I can clearly make out four dots of darker plastic in the nipple. The way that unique ION on eBay has swirled also suggests this. How far of am I? =)
The unique Ion, with the swirls was a cause of two color concentrates blending into the machine in a unique way. the reason for it looking as if it has four nozzles is not that is has four, it is the effect of the screw inside the machine that has four main ribs that force the plastic through the barrel. sometimes some colors are stuck in the separate channels of these ribs. It does not happen very often at all as the plastic usually blends all together near the sprew.

Ok, so I have two ions and they're very different. Both were bought from CDGS, so I hope I have this right...

The first is a yellow 175g, maybe a medium. I also have a blue 174g medium that is much more stiff. The yellow is quite overstable when driving. I can power it HARD and it will stay pin straight for 330'+, even into a headwind. The blue is quite flippier, it will flip up from a 30 deg hyzer and stay straight for the duration.

It's the same for putting speeds, as the yellow will finish hyzer pretty quickly and the blue is more like an aviar p&a in that it stays straight for quite a while.

Is this the norm? I don't know if the yellow is a FR or second, medium or soft. It's definitely not stiff, but not totally floppy. Kinda like a used aviar p&a in feel.

patdabunny said:
Kinda like a used aviar p&a in feel.
Sounds like a soft to me. My mediums are hard plastic, although they do bend a bit.

My soft does fade more than my medium, but it also turns more. Both have to be going very slow before the fade kicks in.

patdabunny said:
Ok, so I have two ions and they're very different. Both were bought from CDGS, so I hope I have this right...

The first is a yellow 175g, maybe a medium. I also have a blue 174g medium that is much more stiff. The yellow is quite overstable when driving. I can power it HARD and it will stay pin straight for 330'+, even into a headwind. The blue is quite flippier, it will flip up from a 30 deg hyzer and stay straight for the duration.

It's the same for putting speeds, as the yellow will finish hyzer pretty quickly and the blue is more like an aviar p&a in that it stays straight for quite a while.

Is this the norm? I don't know if the yellow is a FR or second, medium or soft. It's definitely not stiff, but not totally floppy. Kinda like a used aviar p&a in feel.

I can say for certain that the yellow is a soft because we don't have any new mediums yet. Also, there is very little variation from soft to soft and medium to medium in feel.

My guess is that you are getting a cleaner rip with the soft than with that blue. Once I got used to releasing the mediums cleanly, those blues are the most overstable Ions out there. I can't even flip my blue (without OAT) flat from 10 degrees of hyzer no matter how hard I throw (as long as its clean). For me the mediums feel a lot different during the release than the softs and it did take me a longer time to be able to rip them hard without a hint of OAT than it did with the softs. The softs flip flat from hyzer better and finish harder if given hyzer than the mediums, but the mediums are more true stable.

Anyway, I'm throwing mediums exclusively now as I felt a need to choose one or the other. You can get similar flights with either, but the throw it takes to make them fly that way is a little different with each plastic. After using each a lot, the mediums just jelled with the release on my touch shot better. The softs still go a little farther if I'm ripping them for distance though, and I could see myself pulling them out cooler weather as they will probably feel just like my mediums do in 90 degree heat...

discspeed said:
I can say for certain that the yellow is a soft because we don't have any new mediums yet. Also, there is very little variation from soft to soft and medium to medium in feel.

My guess is that you are getting a cleaner rip with the soft than with that blue. Once I got used to releasing the mediums cleanly, those blues are the most overstable Ions out there. I can't even flip my blue (without OAT) flat from 10 degrees of hyzer no matter how hard I throw (as long as its clean). For me the mediums feel a lot different during the release than the softs and it did take me a longer time to be able to rip them hard without a hint of OAT than it did with the softs. The softs flip flat from hyzer better and finish harder if given hyzer than the mediums, but the mediums are more true stable.

Anyway, I'm throwing mediums exclusively now as I felt a need to choose one or the other. You can get similar flights with either, but the throw it takes to make them fly that way is a little different with each plastic. After using each a lot, the mediums just jelled with the release on my touch shot better. The softs still go a little farther if I'm ripping them for distance though, and I could see myself pulling them out cooler weather as they will probably feel just like my mediums do in 90 degree heat...

I didn't get them together, I bought one several months ago and then the blue just maybe 2 months ago.

About the flippy blue, it happened to others that were throwing it as well, so it's not just me. I've been driving with putters for years, so I'm used to what it takes to throw them right. It may be the difference in the plastics that causes it, but I just have a feeling it's not the case. Who knows. I also threw a flesh/peachy colored one that was just as overstable as my yeller. Odd.

I do agree that the mediums are more truly "stable" than the softs. I'll watch my drives with the medium to see if there is some OAT. I don't think so, but stranger things have happened, right? :lol:

I really want to love the ION.

Every time I go out to practice my putting I give the ION another shot, but I am just less consistent with it. Its a struggle. I love the way it feels in my hand (aside from the satin underside, but that doesn't come into play while putting) I will continue to try and give it a shot, but I don't know. I am much more comfortable and consistent with Challengers.

And on a totally unrelated note... Does anybody else keep hitting "save" instead of "submit" on accident? I swear they used to be in opposite positions.

Frank Delicious said:
I'm down to using just my first run Ions. They are the best jump putt discs ever
Thanks for the info, now I'm looking forward to getting my first runs even more.

I've settled on putting with softs. I got too used to them before the mediums came out, and now the medium feels strange in my hand, making me focus more on my grip than the putt itself. I'm keeping the medium around for driving since it wouldn't turn over as easily from OAT as my softs, but if its a heavily tree lined hole I'll still be driving the softs. I can't get over how great it is that they just stop dead after hitting something.

I played the Scandinavian Open course for the second time and on one upshot I tried an anny needing about 120' distance. I wanted to spin the disc to keep that anny so I pinched hard at the end and the soft Ion bent bad and the feeling was so weird that I was scared into letting go. If I had come to compete I'd brought a medium. Softs are best for putts not tight grips.

JR said:
I played the Scandinavian Open course for the second time and on one upshot I tried an anny needing about 120' distance. I wanted to spin the disc to keep that anny so I pinched hard at the end and the soft Ion bent bad and the feeling was so weird that I was scared into letting go. If I had come to compete I'd brought a medium. Softs are best for putts not tight grips.
I don't usually mind the disc flexing in my grip (I'm totally comfortable punishing Maniacs for example), but the soft ION just bends weirdly. It took a lot of getting used to to overcome that, but I'm starting to get there.

The mediums are much better in this regard.

Have the new colors of softs been sent out yet? I'm really looking forward to a couple black and a couple white softs.

Oh, boy. After my last round at the local course, it's obvious that there is a very heated battle underway for my putter role between my Organic Wizards and the Medium Ion. I kept trading good putts with both discs, but also missing some with each one....seemingly in alterating patterns. I'm not sure how this one is going to play out. It seems I don't putt with my Wizards as well as I did a few months ago. Not sure why. But now I am starting to get a handle on putting with the Medium Ion, and it's complicating things. For the near future, I'm going to try to throw both discs for every putt I try. The only bad thing with that is I use a little different throw for each so I wonder if having an in round duel might hurt a little or not. Maybe I should play a round with one and then play my next round with the other. But either way, it may be a while before I decide that one mold has won and one has lost. The weird thing is I throw the Soft Ion with the same throw I use on the Wizard, but the Medium's stability and glide are different so I had to adjust my throw for them. But that throw is starting to work. We will see how this goes.....

ForeverBlue232 said:
Oh, boy. After my last round at the local course, it's obvious that there is a very heated battle underway for my putter role between my Organic Wizards and the Medium Ion. I kept trading good putts with both discs, but also missing some with each one....seemingly in alterating patterns. I'm not sure how this one is going to play out. It seems I don't putt with my Wizards as well as I did a few months ago. Not sure why. But now I am starting to get a handle on putting with the Medium Ion, and it's complicating things. For the near future, I'm going to try to throw both discs for every putt I try. The only bad thing with that is I use a little different throw for each so I wonder if having an in round duel might hurt a little or not. Maybe I should play a round with one and then play my next round with the other. But either way, it may be a while before I decide that one mold has won and one has lost. The weird thing is I throw the Soft Ion with the same throw I use on the Wizard, but the Medium's stability and glide are different so I had to adjust my throw for them. But that throw is starting to work. We will see how this goes.....
you will never come to a decision throwing one after the other like that, take one out of your bag for a week, then switch for another week. it should be pretty clear which one you should be putting with after that

Frank Delicious said:
I'm down to using just my first run Ions. They are the best jump putt discs ever

this was the only thing I liked using the Ion for since the disc doesn't usually have a lot of vertical movement in flight. I just could never justify keeping the thing in the bag for only jump putts. I sold my M Ion to a club guy here at TxState(he already had been killing it with a S Ion). He has an big background in Ultimate so the Ion seems to be a natural fir for his style.

zj1002 said:
He has an big background in Ultimate so the Ion seems to be a natural fir for his style.

The Ion is to an Ultrastar what the Boss is to a Cyclone. I just wanted to put that out there.

I love my Ions. I've been throwing them for probably about 70-80% of my total shots (including putts). They are, without a doubt, the best driving/approach putter ever made. I've been using my production medium more and more, and I love its stability. I can put everything I have behind it and it does not turn over...In fact, I can throw it with a little anny for a 350' shot and it will go out and slowly fade back as it glides forward. They are EVERY bit as HSS as Wizards with a little less LSS, more glide, and a tiny bit more speed.

Are you disappointed that your favorite and/or local store does not carry the Ion? Well, if you convince them to place an order with us and give a referral, we will send you a free Ion of your choice!

BCR-9er said:
Are you disappointed that your favorite and/or local store does not carry the Ion? Well, if you convince them to place an order with us and give a referral, we will send you a free Ion of your choice!
PM sent.

Latest posts