• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

MVP Disc Sports - Official Thread

I've got a few stores that I'm going to hit up. Not that it matters now, but I did tell discgolfcenter they should carry them about three weeks before they got them in stock :lol:

Jesse B 707 said:
what kind of minimum order are we talkin' here?
All that is needed is a minimum standard order for wholesale pricing. This is the basic set of information we give to all our retailers. If you personally were interested in this information you can PM either BCR-9er or I.

Risk said:
Call me crazy but I'd love to see an Ion in baseline plastic (DX) with the rubbery plastic (R-Pro) overmolding to use strickly for putting.

I'm pretty sure they will be prototyping a baseline plastic at some point, but to have 2 different plastics would make the chemical bonding process less sure as well as introducing a bunch of other variables such as different shrink rates. We will see and I can't wait!

discspeed said:
Risk said:
Call me crazy but I'd love to see an Ion in baseline plastic (DX) with the rubbery plastic (R-Pro) overmolding to use strickly for putting.

I'm pretty sure they will be prototyping a baseline plastic at some point, but to have 2 different plastics would make the chemical bonding process less sure as well as introducing a bunch of other variables such as different shrink rates. We will see and I can't wait!

Very good points and I too can't wait!

Three black/black and three white/black soft Ions on the way. I can't wait till they get here.

I have finally seen the light and have converted to the ION. I at first tried the soft when they first come out and to be honest I just did NOT like how flexible they were and I did not enjoy they way they felt or flew for me. However I tried the Medium Ion this weekend and I do not know what all changed for me but I really really like the ION. Of course the firmness helped a lot for me, however they feel much better in my hand grip wise and I just enjoy throwing them now. I have long had a distaste for premium plastic putters but the ION has definitely changed my opinion of this at least when it comes to said disc (I still like no other premium plastic putter), I think the outer rubber molding has a big part to do with this. I have also been extremely impressed with these mediums as a driver putter, the glide is amazing and the speed is nice too. I actually would rather drive with these than either my Warlock or Wizard which says a lot as I have been driving with those for a few years now. The one thing I am still working on with the Ion is the putting but I have liked what I have experienced so far, its really more my form than anything that needs some work. Anyway after that long story I just want to say the ION is one bad ass putter and is definitely one of the best newly released molds there has been in a while. Well done MVP!!!

Also I tried a couple of the new softs and I must admit I liked those much better than when I first tried one out a few months back. It may just be me but even the softs felt a lil firmer than the first soft I felt. But the mediums are more up my alley, however I dont think you can go wrong with either.

Im really looking forward to giving these bad boys some more air time and hopefully these can be a mainstay in my bag.

I've had no luck recreating putter drives with medium IONs like I had initially. This leads me to suspect that they have broken in and lost HSS abruptly. No wonder being stuffed in a full bag for tests with two dozen other discs. I haven't noticed changes to shape and no marks on the center portion. Minimal lighter colored streaks on the outer part from hard hits. Putting wise no change whatsoever and it's great for that. Mine is a first run light blue core with black rim medium. First run softs too aren't as HSS for driving as they were when new. I haven't noticed changes to my driving form with them but can't swear that I haven't messed up. Other discs fly like they always have. I and others here have seen abrupt flight changes from other discs as they break in so this could've happened to my IONs as well. I still use that medium ION for anny drives and jump putts. And of course as primary putter for everything else than wind putts and avoiding danger behind basket. It's a real gem as a putter.

Sorry guys I left out an important detail which gives a too negative impression of a used medium Ion for driving. I meant to write that I haven't been able to recreate flat flight from a flat release or two degree hyzer for the fastest throws. Like I had when the disc was new. After realizing this unfairness and inaccuracy I went to field practice today. After two hours of ripping max D and max golf D with drivers I switched to putters.

I gave 8-9 degrees of initial hyzer to my medium Ion and I was well warmed up. My snapping varied a bit as did height of the throws. The longest throws were among the lowest lines which surprised me but they were clearly the best snaps too. The longest throw was 292' flat with an apex of about 8-9'. Considering how well Ions glide one degree misses in initial hyzer angle didn't move the disc too much sideways. Usually less than 15' well under 10' being the norm with missed angles. No deviation for proper angles. Quite usable for driving. Ion is back with a vengeance after I realized it's not the grip, my form but the changed need for initial hyzer angle. Changes are natural for the life cycle of discs and I'm quite happy with a used medium Ion for driving and can't wait for giving them a workout on the course. YEAH!!!

For reference my shortest drives were 260' with altering heights. Some were too low and the highest ones were up to 25-29'. No fade!!! I got a somewhat bent Vibram VP max weight to almost the same D but the flights had some fade. That disc bent a little after hitting metal on Sunday :) Z Buzzz 175 from this year went 312' right after the longest Ion toss. Pretty small difference and I was very happy with that throw as well. I wanted a reference. I also threw an 174 Z Stalker that turned a little initially to about 340'. DGR P PD 158 to 360'. PD and Buzzz flew flat, PD faded Buzzz didn't.

I have Mediums that I can throw flat/1-2 degrees hyzer and fly flat up to 360' without turning or fading. On distances 300' and less they will have some fade. If I give them more hyzer than that they hold it as well.

I was throwing some new mediums today...I had an opaque white (with the slightest tinge of some color) that flies very straight, very Buzzzish. It tends to flatten a little from a hyzer and fly without turn and with very little fade on shots over 250'. My other two are orange and robin egg blue. They are both fairly clear and quite overstable, pretty much the same as my blue FRs. I love the opaque one...It is a little flatter and feels grippier than my red proto medium, and it putts very nicely as well. I'll be testing them intensively in the next couple of weeks.

Jeronimo said:
Swirled colors piss me off cause I need to collect them all...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320570714248#ht_500wt_975

My FR blue medium Ion started out the way that Discspeed's did. I don't know if my disc was effected by a jammed bag or something else but the disc has visible lighter areas on the soft outer edge from hitting metal at long ranges (yay!) and bed rock. I can't see bending anywhere but the good news is that the disc behaves consistently and is perfectly drivable at full power for me so I'll keep on using it with adjusted initial hyzer angle :-D JOY! I gotta get a backup though.

Tried out one of my freshly deflashed first run softs in the wind today. Around 40-50 degrees seems to do the trick. =)

Seriously, it's that understable. It usually turns on throws that are under 180'. I love it. =)