• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

MVP Disc Sports - Official Thread

krik72 said:
So I was screwing around off a tee and my Ion ended up in the street and got knocked 100+ feet by several cars. I assumed it was game over yet a few tees later I ripped it 300' for a birdie with no noticable loss of stability :eek:. So kick ass.

Yeah...I've yet to succeed in breaking in any of my mediums at all (and I've been trying pretty hard). My main putter is getting kind of scratched up which has made it much grippier than a new Ion. I was playing in drizzling rain yesterday and I didn't have any problems gripping my main putter, though my newish Ions were still kind of slick.

I'm going to say something controversial: Among all of my putters, IONs stick to the chains/basket the worst. Specifically the medium IONs. I'm having more spit outs and blow throughs than ever with anything, while still hitting the chains about the same. This is somewhat mindboggling for me. I really love throwing it, but it just won't stay in. One part of the equation is that our course has THE WORST BASKETS IN THE WORLD, EVER. But even so, I can't really count on any part of the basket to keep my mediums in, where as the softs stick nicely.

F*ck it all.

yeah my mediums tend to bounce out alot too, not so much a sticking to chains problem but more of a hitting the pole and bouncing back out thing for me, one of the main reasons i dont putt them

jubuttib said:
I'm going to say something controversial: Among all of my putters, IONs stick to the chains/basket the worst. Specifically the medium IONs. I'm having more spit outs and blow throughs than ever with anything, while still hitting the chains about the same. This is somewhat mindboggling for me. I really love throwing it, but it just won't stay in. One part of the equation is that our course has THE WORST BASKETS IN THE WORLD, EVER. But even so, I can't really count on any part of the basket to keep my mediums in, where as the softs stick nicely.

F*ck it all.
Interesting. I only throw the softs, so I can't really speak to what the mediums do, but that seems very odd.

My friend commented the same about my putting. But I don't remember which one I was using. Soft or medium. Probably the soft. Not really relevant for me because I'm in a groove with Rhynos to fairly good distances and only use the Ion for long runs and jump putts. Before the Rhyno took on main putter duty inside the circle the medium was fine so it must have been the soft that was bouncing out. That is normal for soft discs. Only if I got the med drive reliably. It seems to not have a high cruising speed for a putter. Powered down it performs without trouble. Giving it 80+% is touchy for me.

jubuttib said:

F*ck it all.

I've been putting with mediums all summer, and I've not had too much problems. My putting style accounts for some of this as I putt with just enough force to get in the chains and die, and my putter hits the chains pretty much flat and nose neutral. These kinds of putts tend to stick very well for me. My biggest issues are spin outs on the left side (which is my bad and I don't really feel I deserve these to stick) and bounce outs off the bottom of the basket. The latter is annoying, but again, it's not a good putt to begin with if the first thing it hits is the bottom of the basket.

Overall I really love my mediums and they are still the best all around putt/approach/driving disc I've ever thrown. That being said, I'm still #1 on the list for a baseline Ion when Chad figures it out. :wink:

My biggest issues are spin outs on the left side (which is my bad and I don't really feel I deserve these to stick)
Yes exactly my thoughts as well. I think it does this a bit more often than other putters but the "chain gripping" also seems to give me some shots left of the pole where it gets "absorbed" spinning through the first level of chains where another putter would probably bounce off. Im undecided if its my favorite inside 30 putter but its definitely my favorite for everything else.

So I broke down and gave these a try (2, 174 Mediums). Pretty much went to the bag after a few drives and Wizards went to the shelf. Can't really putt with them and not really worried about switching from my Magnets. Amazing driver from what I have seen from it though. I find myself reaching for it more and more for about 300-320' and in if I have the height to do it. I also love hearing my friends ask when the disc is going to drop out of the air on those throws too. Anyway, nothing new or special to say. Just giving some love to the Medium Ion. Not sure if I will try the soft since I'm pretty damn happy with the Medium.

I've experienced a little of the trouble of my Medium sticking in the chains. It's almost like the Soft is flexible enough that when it hits, it acts like a shock absorber and sticks better. But with the Medium, it seems like the rigidity makes the outer rubber act more like a bouncing rubber ball, which makes it "bounce" out of the chains or basket sometimes. Like when I've hit a tree on an approach shot with my soft, it hit the tree and just fell right there. But with my medium, when I hit a tree on a similar shot, the disc bounced very far off the tree and left me with an even farther approach shot than I started with. But overall, I still think I'm having better luck with the Medium Ion than I have with my Wizards.

I'm glad everyone else is having trouble with it too, I was beginning to think I must just be a shitty putter. :p

... I've opened up Pandora's Box, haven't I? Shit. =)

How do the softs drive compared to the mediums?
My mediums are more HSS and less LSS than my soft. Meaning that they both end up in the same place, the soft just like to curve a bit while getting there.

Nothing major though.

jubuttib said:
... I've opened up Pandora's Box, haven't I? Shit. =)

How do the softs drive compared to the mediums?
My mediums are more HSS and less LSS than my soft. Meaning that they both end up in the same place, the soft just like to curve a bit while getting there.

Nothing major though.

My soft is FR and I think the bead is larger on the medium so it's not. The Soft fades more and only with high power is there a difference in HSS where the medium flips less. I need to get a new medium Ion to see what's up but I'm afraid that it might have bent in my hand yesterday on full power drives so that may be my issue. 80 % is just fine. So that individual medium Ion of mine is a touch disc now but a great one and of course on the golf side versus the traditional touch discs. Rattler is more demanding Comets too.

I was getting some snap comparing putters and my broken in Ringer went on average and max a little farther with a much less chance of flipping but it fades more and flexes even at full power from fairly much (maybe 5 degrees) of anny. Together they are an awesome driving combo but throw in a new durable Ringer and a wider stability range and wind tolerance makes things even yummier and Rhynos and maybe VPs for shorter and more LSS work makes my short home course much easier to navigate. I'm a putter driving fiend :) The thing about Ringer going far is requirement for snapping harder and a much higher apex than the Ion needs. Too bad my current Ions become even touchier at lower heights naturally so it doesn't help with repeatability at high power. There's a gap between the Ringer and my Ions for super straight flight at 270'+. Or repeatably I should probably reduce 10' from that for the Ion.

I would like to request an ION Mini. They would be sweet, plust that way I could replace my Wizard mini with the upgraded ION mini.

Lets make it happen!

disc junkie said:
I would like to request an ION Mini. They would be sweet, plust that way I could replace my Wizard mini with the upgraded ION mini.

Lets make it happen!
Seconded, thirded, fourthed,... ..., infinited.

I tried mafa's D Challenger and SS Voodoo for driving two days ago and threw to him uphill higher than I usually throw putters. I have yet to confirm my silliness (again!) in the following way: I'm greedy for D even putter driving D and I noticed I can get the Ion farthest on low lines like mids unlike most putters. I seriously suspect from memory that seeing how mafa's putters flew uphill into a headwind that I've seriously dropped apex heights for most throws with Ions.

So what has changed was my throw not my stupidity :evil: I've thrown it higher in a recent field session a couple of times at full power without trouble like I did initially when the disc was new and those throws have slight fade at the end. They also flew similarly the whole way to when I first threw the disc. Lower throws are the ones that keep on flipping at full power. Silly me. I've yet to 100 % verify this but I think it's 98% certain that a greedy dropped height is the issue because that's what I need for actual golf shots. Reality kicked me in the right direction again. Ow my bottom with a foot print in it.

How high do you throw Ions? I had gone down to 8-10' apexes with flipping issues. At 16'+ the troubles seem to go away based on a few trouble free throws in a recent session for me.

D'oh duh!

For a 300' throw I throw the Ion between 20-30'...This is an accurate touch shot. I can laser beam them hard and lower, but less consistently.

Dyein' Ion

I was belly-achin' about how long they were taking to put hotstamps on these.

Now that I dyed one, they can leave 'em blank forever!

helladye.jpg

I did a lot of testing today to see how well the Ion did vs other putters in terms of % of the chains it would stick to. It just doesnt do well on the left side of the chains (RHBH), right chains you get a little extra grab but way less margin of error overall IMO. Going to retire it from inside the circle putting.

Latest posts