• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

MVP Disc Sports - Official Thread

krik72 said:
I did a lot of testing today to see how well the Ion did vs other putters in terms of % of the chains it would stick to. It just doesnt do well on the left side of the chains (RHBH), right chains you get a little extra grab but way less margin of error overall IMO. Going to retire it from inside the circle putting.

Too bad.

I've changed my putter driving in details lately and did a 25 putter shootout yesterday. Things have changed for me definitely. Relative weakness and strengths have changed for some of the discs. I'm happy with my overstable putters so I wasn't concerned about those and didn't bring any along. I was auditioning for the low/no fade slot even for uphill drives and long at the same time role. And no fade at 200' and under performance because we have many tight places here. Boy was I surprised!

Surprisingly many discs flew the same to other manufacturer's other mold in different grades of plastics. The largest surprise for me was a 175 DX Aviar P&A that used to bee too flippy for me and I was just ripping at full power just like many other discs. My tweaks seem to suit putter driving even though one thing is definitely unlike standard DGR advice for driving with drivers. I wasn't pulling close to the body with the arm I was trying to maximize muscle and grip looseness concentrating on late acceleration and violence of the acceleration. I got many discs as far as the Ion and sometimes farther. Hard D Magnet, P2 D and S plastics flew farther with way more HSS and the Aviar with close to the same HSS as the Ion. But I only wailed on the Ion a couple of times and put them on higher lines which I've noticed are too high for the Ion so there's definitely some room for D improvement in there. The thing is that I'm a little bit afraid of throwing the Ion at full power right now and the winds didn't help it. I'm just not comfortable with sacrificing repeatability for 10-20' of added putter drive D even if I could get it over the other tested discs. The local holes are so touchy that I'm more comfortable throwing under powered throws and there even more discs started to fare well for 200' and under. A large gaggle of putter went straight there. And for 300' the Ringer I've beat much straighter is much less likely to flip and will come back much earlier and better where the Ion would glide anny to the ground sometimes.

The Ion as a driver seems to be well contested if one is willing to depart from mold minimalism which I am for putters. At 200' half the putters can be thrown on lasers. At 250' some of my Wizards became straight and were a lot more dependable and repeatable if I made minor errors. At 300' at least Ringer, hard d Magnet, P2 in both plastics but especially the S are all close to Ion D although I didn't test for it but much more safer and less penalizing of minor and major thrower errors. I didn't test the Ringer yesterday but did a couple of times earlier. I've gotten the Ringer in broken in state farther than the Ion in every session I've compared them by 3-4' but it needs way more height.

Ion does win everything else I've tried in flying far and high with annies and with a lesser power requirement than the next best thing Spike. In putting long the altitude holding for long lasers combined with mild fade that limits otherwise long blow bys from the excellent glide and good speed is a great combo because other few discs that glide as well or better tend to exaggerate sideways missing if hyzered or annied and can't take nearly as much wind. Rattler being the best challenger in the glidey yet not sideways exaggerated missing department losing clearly in wind handling. Before I discovered that I'm more accurate within the circle putting with a much harder arm motion the Ion was the best short putter for me. Now the power generation is so high that the disc probably would bounce out and the blow bys would be immense so Rhyno it is. Ion still retains the long putt and jump putt to 170' range. From 170' up I use a Buzzz but I've used MD1s successfully too and I need to make a comparison for those both fly fairly similarly based on memory on those throws. For giggles I'm gonna try out a Comet too to see if weight lifting has helped in keeping the angles better at high power levels. In hopes of getting super glide without turning and burning problems of last year. Ion also is the best low height maximum length putter driver there is but man it is touchy so it would be better thrown where there's room to flip. Which defeats the point of driving with a putter in many cases. As an escape shot disc the Ion is wonderful.

The nicest thing I saw yesterday was the need to put both the D and S P2 back in the bag for rounds testing because they were almost as forgiving of errors as the hard D Magnet (OOP IIRC) and 8-10' longer with equally little fade if one switches the plastics at shorter distances where the S would fade out. A D and S P2 together make for lasers far out with much more calmer and confident thrower at a little higher height requirement than the Ion. And so far in the field the results have been better than with the Ion at long distances and the Ion matching the P P2 for shorter throws and the S beating for golf shots at longer distances. D P2 tracked twice in the winds S P2 didn't. I'm gonna get a backup S P2 I already own two D P2s.

Because I think the Aviar DX 175 was long and a little more dependable than the Ion medium 172 non FR at full power I'm gonna try out a champ as well as soon as I get to buying one. I didn't test my Star Aviar Driver now and I will ASAP. Weight and finger strength training and changing index finger placement has finally allowed me to grip tall discs like BB Aviars, Rhynos, VPs and Challengers semi comfortably to comfortably so I can throw them too. Since I was ok with the KC Aviar I lost (grr...) and the no bead Aviar really surprised me and the BB Aviar was longer than the Wizards but too LSS at shorter ranges I'm interested in seeing how far and straight it will fly and what the flipping and wind handling is like. I think I'm ready to be surprised positively :)

Even with the tests incomplete for a few discs I'm confident that my setup is gonna be more complete and way better than now for the short and tight spots around here. I'm so excited and there's definitely room and usage for the Ion in the bag now and in the future. Can you tell I love driving and approaching with putters? 8)

I pretty much agree with everything you said, its an awesome putter for driving and upshots. What you said about its glide/fade is very very true its really shines at preventing those long comebacks I have made many sick long putts simply because of that fact.

For the record Ive only played with the non-FR medium so maybe softs are a lot better on the left side of the chains. Ive come to one definitive conclusion though, and that is grabbing the chains as strongly as my medium Ion does is not good for putting. Personally Ive decided I dont like the extra speed either when putting but thats just me and not a bad characteristic.

So I'm puting together a glow setup for night rounds, and was thinking how sweet a glow Ion would be. Is there any chance of that happening?

Yehosha said:
So I'm puting together a glow setup for night rounds, and was thinking how sweet a glow Ion would be. Is there any chance of that happening?
A glow Ion would very attractive. I would not eliminate the chances to zero, however we cant make any promises until further development is made.

Check out the glow materials descriptions. At least some of them are reported to be highly carcinogenic in powder form. They only become inert once they're tied down in plastic.

Aced with my medium Stormtrooper today. Just your average ~200' deal, there's some trouble just behind the basket so I threw it higher to stall it near the basket, dropped right in. Still, felt nice.

Worm 28 said:
Yehosha said:
A glow Ion would very attractive. I would not eliminate the chances to zero, however we cant make any promises until further development is made.

well for now, those small Beacon lights (or any other small LED) would work great with that plastic!

Hoey said:
Worm 28 said:
Yehosha said:

well for now, those small Beacon lights (or any other small LED) would work great with that plastic!

I can confirm this. An LED bobber light and some duct tape + my M Ion = sweet Night disc.

I converted another to the Soft Ion today. The man shot a 55 at Castle Hayne with the 174 S Yellow I traded him. No small feat.

Keep up the good work, Ion peeps.

Anyone want these? They are from the 1st production run of Ions They are S and 174 9/10

IMG_20100723_075619.jpg

@Worm 28

How stiff/gummy is the overmold plastic by itself? It's very grippy and durable, I wonder how a disc made purely out of that would feel like.

jubuttib said:
@Worm 28

How stiff/gummy is the overmold plastic by itself? It's very grippy and durable, I wonder how a disc made purely out of that would feel like.
The overmold material we use is quite grippy and durable yes, however it would be quite floppy if used for the core portion of the disc.

I just picked up a nice snow white med last night (I might go back and grab another one too). I've been reworking my bag to fit a driving putter in there since my Buzzz shots are starting to get a bit long. I just couldn't swap out my Wizard for putting and was a bit heavy on distance drivers before, but I loved how I could throw Buzzz like shots with the ION. It's just such a user friendly disc and feels familiar. So, now that I've dropped another driver, I'm going to finally be giving it a proper place instead of occasional rounds. I'm thinking it's going to work well for my approaches and shorter drives. I've been trying to make a spot for it and now it's in. :)

I got another 173 grey very mildly clearer in spots non FR medium Ion. And it behaves almost exactly to my blue non FR 173 Ion and the differences may very well come from my throwing variance. I get a fairly abrupt change in the initial hyzer I need going from say 85-90 % power to 100%. At 85 % with a poor snap I turn a flat throw over by a couple of degrees. With good snap it won't flip. The throws that anny unintentionally tend to fly quite far right. Going to past 90 % power variances in missing distance off line and the occurrence rate of botched throws goes dramatically up and predictability plummets for me. The reason is that I need to give about 7 degrees of initial hyzer to medium good and bad snaps at close to or full power. Lower side of good to less snaps either flip bad from strong arming or stay at 4-5 degrees of hyzer with a late late acceleration. So the discs can land almost 100' of left or right or anything in between depending on the timing and severity of arm acceleration. And obviously I have variance there now. Also planned but unplanned too :-( So I have form hammering and training left to do to tame this disc. Maybe I should imitate Jussi Meresmaa and use a control grip and maybe I too could get one to 430' :-D

This is not an easy disc to push power boundaries with while trying to thread a needle so it's probably good for low power throwers and clean throwers and horrible for medium power throwers without perfect repeatable form. My problem comes partially from having a home course with natural tees so repeatability in a throw is only a wish. So far the best D, accuracy and repeatability I've gotten comes from tees and field practice with a very large concentration on using very very loose muscles concentrating on using just the outer layer of the arm muscles. That is being extra super duper smooth and mellow with the arm stroke while moving fast. The old comment from Bruce Lee applies here: The less I try the harder I punch. In my case it seems to be the less I try the lower the chance of me messing up is.

Another matter is whether a 300'+ putter drive with pin point accuracy with my limited power and ability to maintain control of the wrist etc. angles is. Maybe I should just use the slightly longer broken in FR Ringer for those occasions or disc up to a Buzzz. Both fade more than the Ion but I'm not getting any different results out of Aviar P&A dx or star. When they flip on 300' attempts they fly off far and the required initial hyzer changes abruptly with slight form, timing and power generation changes. Meaning vastly reduced usefulness on golf course. Time to up muscle power some more and polish the form and timing control plus body control to repeatable stay extra loose in the arm muscles while maintaining proper angles. And it's pouring down as it always does during fall and then it's snow. So it seems to be a project for 2011 for me to get more repeatable results on straight throws out of Aviar P&A, Ion and to a lesser extent out of the slightly shorter and more dependable S and D P2. If a non soft Magnet stayed readily available and were a little closer in D to Ions and Aviars I'd be a happy camper.

I'm torn between hoarding a life time supply of D Magnets and accepting the lesser D for most wind fighting and best immunity to timing etc. variations while straight and using Buzzzes or Fuses/Comets(to be determined leaning on the Fuse for added mid flight gust handling) for a little shorter distances. Versus fighting on to improve form and body to later be able to push Ion D farther out and getting repeatable results. I do have less than enough power in my wrist to maintain angles when tired or strong arming moderately. Mild strong arming usually doesn't cause wrist rolls for me until I'm very tired. I might need to pursue both avenues to try to find the best possible long term solution or at least risk achieving it. I need to work out more anyway so it's not a loss and I haven't heard of anyone getting worse scores for better finesse.

So I need to reserve final opinion about Ions until later but it's clear that it's a beast of a driving putter if you can tame it. It's a roller coaster because it is a beauty when it works and a nightmare when it bites you back. For controlled less than full power throws it gains in wind fighting ability as well as accuracy and repeatability big time. At least for my snap level. Ion might be easier for somebody with better acceleration ability at a later time in the arm stroke than I have. So the initial estimate seems to be a lot of great features with dangers depending on the thrower. Because the rewards are so great people should give the Ion an honest try. Even if it means throwing at less than full power for straight long putter drives equally long to most putters. Powering down for control and staying fresher is not a bad thing at all. Therefore it is very attractive to people with different skill and power levels as a driving putter. And a great putter too. Now my estimate is an enthusiastic maybe depending on many factors for anyone. For myself a keeper that needs to be worked on or powered down in the trickiest of places like tunnels around here from natural tees.

YMMV...

I love throwing my Ions full power and never have problems flipping them. In fact, I mostly use my less stable medium protos because I find the new mediums a little too overstable for shots under 300'.

Latest posts