• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

MVP Disc Sports - Official Thread

So I just took my freshly mailed 175 medium ion out for two rounds. On a positive note whatever that plastic on the outside is really does grip the chains like nothing Ive ever seen. Im am particularly prone to spin outs and a few of our baskets are in bad shape and missing some chains but I could literally see the Ion grabbing the chains.

That said it probably wont be a disc I end up using. In terms of putting and approaching with it, it just slid waaay too fast, I threw a jump put and it landed in front of the basket and slid almost 20' past. On approaches it had a strong tendency to land and row, not what Im looking for. I liked the grip for putting and approaching but for backhand driving it slipped out of my hands quite a bit, I just couldnt get a pinch on it strong enough to snap it in a way that felt right. That said sidearm I was able to get it out it an effortless an accurate 275' without having to worry about the grip.

krik72 said:
In terms of putting and approaching with it, it just slid waaay too fast, I threw a jump put and it landed in front of the basket and slid almost 20' past. On approaches it had a strong tendency to land and row, not what Im looking for. I
Granted I have not tried the mediums yet, but there is no way my softs would do this. I have had the opposite experience with my Ions. Out of putters I have tried (a lot) they are possibly the putter with the least amount of skips and rolls. This is my experience though and I'm wondering if other people have had the problem listed above.

I've heard people say the same thing. I'm with you though. I don't know how people could think these skip, slide, and/or roll more than other putters. I've tried mediums as well, and while they weren't as good as the softs for avoiding these things, they were still better than my Voodoos, XDs, and other putters that I've thrown.

I get slides as much as other normal discs with mediums. Meaning Rhynos stop faster. Mediums haven't rolled much or at all and I don't think I've ever had a roll with my soft Ion.

riverboy said:
krik72 said:
In terms of putting and approaching with it, it just slid waaay too fast, I threw a jump put and it landed in front of the basket and slid almost 20' past. On approaches it had a strong tendency to land and row, not what Im looking for. I
Granted I have not tried the mediums yet, but there is no way my softs would do this. I have had the opposite experience with my Ions. Out of putters I have tried (a lot) they are possibly the putter with the least amount of skips and rolls. This is my experience though and I'm wondering if other people have had the problem listed above.

I've been throwing mediums for all my putts/drives longer than anyone, and I must say that I do not notice this at all. When you throw a disc with more energy than it needs to get to the basket, it goes by it...Pretty simple. Compared to dx it may slide a couple feet more, but certainly nothing more dramatic than that. If you are used to something like a Rhyno or even a medium Wizard, the Ion is going to feel like its faster and moves with less resistance...this is called glide. It allows you to get similar flights with less effort, but if just horse it out there like you would with those other discs, it's going to go too far. This is like someone who is used to champ or new KC Rocs and throws a Buzzz and calls it flippy...There is a certain amount of adjustment before fair comparison can be made.

Yeah you're right 2 rounds definitely cant be a full assessment so I will report back later, I really want to like it :D.

DPJ88 said:
Hmm.

At one side there is almost no bead of blue plastic showing, and the other side there is a considerable amount. In between these two extremes it tends to vary, sometimes being high up on the shoulder on the disc, sometimes being a little low.

I had this problem with the 1 and only ION I have used. It was an early run soft. Has this problem been remedied yet? I'd love to try another ION for fun, I was just disappointed to see the bead issues.

rooneytunes said:
DPJ88 said:
Hmm.

At one side there is almost no bead of blue plastic showing, and the other side there is a considerable amount. In between these two extremes it tends to vary, sometimes being high up on the shoulder on the disc, sometimes being a little low.

I had this problem with the 1 and only ION I have used. It was an early run soft. Has this problem been remedied yet? I'd love to try another ION for fun, I was just disappointed to see the bead issues.

I had that issue on the FR Ion I had but haven't seen it on any of the other 4 that I have.

rooneytunes said:
DPJ88 said:
Hmm.

It absolutely has. It is their #1 issue and they have been very careful with the latest runs of softs and mediums to make sure that they all had an even bead. They changed some settings on their machine and used another little trick with the mediums to get them to mold with good beads. It has totally worked and I've not seen a single example in the new runs with a bead issue.

What in the wide world o' sports happened to that suave hotstamp they had planned?

Barts_hits_slim_pickens.jpg

discspeed said:
rooneytunes said:
DPJ88 said:
Hmm.

It absolutely has. It is their #1 issue and they have been very careful with the latest runs of softs and mediums to make sure that they all had an even bead. They changed some settings on their machine and used another little trick with the mediums to get them to mold with good beads. It has totally worked and I've not seen a single example in the new runs with a bead issue.

I just picked up a pink medium today and the bead is perfect. Every one that I fondled both soft and medium had clean beads. Took it immediately to the field for a quick test. I putt and drive with ridges and the ION is a welcome change in the glide dept. and is easy to turn. The grip on the Medium is more comfortable than the soft's grip for driving. I'm already glad I came back for another try.

Finally got my first Ion ace last night with my M Blue on a nice anny line. Short little hole but man did it feel and look good right out of my hand. :mrgreen:

krik72 said:
Yeah you're right 2 rounds definitely cant be a full assessment so I will report back later, I really want to like it :D.
Im going to officially eat my words, Ion is now my main (and only) putter in my bag. Its definitely different but in such a good way, sort of like the emo girl at the party who ends up being a freak in bed.

Looking forward to seeing a hotstamped ION. I've been throwing my mediums for a couple months now and love them. the ONLY complaint I have is more of a concern in really hot and humid weather. I sweat profusely... that doesn't help my thumb on the flight plate. It tends to get pretty slick.

I actually like the grip of the underside. I might be the only one but... I like that texture better.

I sweat a lot and I play in the desert (105 today) Ion seems to do better than most premium plastics in terms of grip in my experience.

Marauder said:
I just need to invest in a "birdie bag"...... when my hands are sweaty ... it feels just as slick as Champion plastic.

i contribute my win at a B tier in Texas last weekend to the birdie bag. it works well with the Ion plastic and doesn't affect release

After deflashing the FR IONs I'm really starting to fall in love with them. They are the best disc I've ever used for short anhyzers and jump putts, also terrific for spin putting. Half of the bead isn't visible at all which contributes to the understability. Shame you guys fixed that problem. =)

Forgot my putters at home today and had to use my friends KC Pro Aviar. While the Aviar is a very solid putter, I missed 4 or 5 putts that slid out, that I guarantee, that with the Ion, it would have stuck to the chains and stayed in. I knew how much the Ion grabbied the chains, but it wasn't until today when I wasn't putting with an Ion for the first time in many months that I really realized how much it excelled at doing that. I'd guess the Ion takes 4 to 5 strokes off my game every time I play. Oh I won't even get into how short I was leaving my approach shots since the Aviar has such inferior glide.

So I was screwing around off a tee and my Ion ended up in the street and got knocked 100+ feet by several cars. I assumed it was game over yet a few tees later I ripped it 300' for a birdie with no noticable loss of stability :eek:. So kick ass.