• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

MVP Disc Sports - Official Thread

I'm into my second week of vacation now and I've played three different courses in MI. One interesting thing of note is that all my discs are slightly more stable in MI than they were in FL...Kind of weird. Anyway, the Ion has been even more applicable on the MI courses than it is in FL. Yesterday I played a couple 300-350' holes with a river behind the basket. I had no real way to judge the range before I threw other than the sign, so I threw my Ion on both knowing that I could give it some air and a decently hard throw and it would get parked or in putting range without worry of landing in the river. The Ion is also awesome to deal with elevation changes. For every 10' in the air I have to throw my Buzzz, it gets significantly more stable...This is not the case with the Ion...I simply point and shoot. Its easier to judge downhill as well as the fade comes late and doesn't affect the line of flight. I also played a course with a bunch of super tight wooded shots 200-260', and I was throwing my Ion FH and BH through the gaps with ease.

As far as comparing the runs...The new medium I have (orange) is not quite as overstable as the first run of blue mediums. Those blues are very close to a new Wizard in stability, where the new one is just a tick straighter (less and later fade). I love the mediums.

discspeed said:
One interesting thing of note is that all my discs are slightly more stable in MI than they were in FL...Kind of weird.

It's because you're so close to Canada.

JimW said:
discspeed said:
One interesting thing of note is that all my discs are slightly more stable in MI than they were in FL...Kind of weird.

It's because you're so close to Canada.

You should see how they fly once you're actually in Canada! :shock:

Doh! For repeatability with forceful throws wanting either slight left, straight or slight right throws I'd need a more HSS than the first run medium :-( As it is for pinpoint accuracy and repeatability I need to throw shorter with the Ion 175 med blue first run. I would've liked to use one putter for all non bend or non hard headwind situations. OTOH the headwind putter (Rhyno) may just be straight enough where the best reliability and repeatability of an Ion ends when it is worn. Lucky I have such a Rhyno. It's limited fade only on hard low throws. Giving it height is a problem as it starts to behave like a new one fast. My home course has mostly high drives with putters.

Gotta see other options as well for a straighter more reliable and repeatable driving putter for 200'+.

I'm not getting as good results as I was initially with the Ion. Ran into release issues and now I can't shake them but I have one grip trick to try out. I twisted my knee and can't do a test now.

JR said:
Doh! For repeatability with forceful throws wanting either slight left, straight or slight right throws I'd need a more HSS than the first run medium :-(

I'm not getting as good results as I was initially with the Ion. Ran into release issues and now I can't shake them but I have one grip trick to try out. I twisted my knee and can't do a test now.

I think the HSS that you are not getting has more to do with your release than the Ion. I have thrown about 10 different FR blue Mediums, and they are the most stable of the Ions. I had the chance last week to watch these fly over 400' down hills with moderate wind...Neither Chad (Ion Inventor) nor I had any shots than turned at all with the medium blues, and we were throwing them hard...I parked a 350' shot that had a low ceiling hyzer finish, and it was biting into a LtR crosswind.

Keep working with the Ion JR...I think if you get your grip down with the Ion, you will find it IS what you are looking for in a long driving putter. I have experience with just about every putter out there, and any of the ones that are even close to the Ion's stability seriously lack glide. The Wizard is the only thing that compares imo.

Unity said:
I think a really clean release is part of it. That is what I attribute most of the success with the fork grip to. For whatever reason it seems to force it out of my hand cleaner than a power grip.
Well, I'm back to the power grip temporarily, but I'm doing better with it. It turns out it wasn't really completely the grips fault. The new one just made me focus on my throw a little more.
discspeed said:
The softs turn over faster with a little OAT than the mediums do.
I've been rolling my wrist over like a mofo... Two days ago I slowed my throw down a ton...and I thought, "WTF are you doing that for?" Anyways, driving with the Ions (and everything else for that matter) has been improving again over the last day or two. I'll have to try the modified grip again once I subconsciously don't roll my wrist and see if it helps more.

discspeed said:
JR said:
Doh! For repeatability with forceful throws wanting either slight left, straight or slight right throws I'd need a more HSS than the first run medium :-(

I think the HSS that you are not getting has more to do with your release than the Ion. I have thrown about 10 different FR blue Mediums, and they are the most stable of the Ions. I had the chance last week to watch these fly over 400' down hills with moderate wind...Neither Chad (Ion Inventor) nor I had any shots than turned at all with the medium blues, and we were throwing them hard...I parked a 350' shot that had a low ceiling hyzer finish, and it was biting into a LtR crosswind.

Keep working with the Ion JR...I think if you get your grip down with the Ion, you will find it IS what you are looking for in a long driving putter. I have experience with just about every putter out there, and any of the ones that are even close to the Ion's stability seriously lack glide. The Wizard is the only thing that compares imo.

Very different results then. I took 13 other putters in addition to the Ion out today for field practice. I think my fingers are too short for a fork grip with an Ion. Equal flipping to power grip. Wizard is way less flippy for me at least in 175 HPP and Ridge not at all. Soft X Focus a little on full power into a mild headwind with Ion behaving more like a DX 175 Aviar P&A. Rear wind too, other than floating farther than the Aviar. I've got nowhere near 350' with an Ion. My best measured throw is 307' with some rear wind. I don't get it other than I've had difficulty with tall discs releasing poorly all my career. I think I need to vary pinch power since I usually don't pinch putters moderately let alone hard. I tried harder pinches and sometimes they helped sometimes not.

I have no trouble whatsoever out to a little over 200' with the Ion released flat not turning at all. Don't think I was wrist rolling over either from feel and behavior of other discs. Even taller ones. For me personally the Ion seems tough to tame. At times I can rip it full on flat no flip and usually times not. I think my snapping wasn't my best today even if not the worst. I suspect the Ion needs a lot of spin to fly without flipping out to long distances.

Got my medium Darth Vader and Stormtrooper today and participated in a doubles comp to try them out. I'm in love. They feel very nice and fly beautifully, much nicer in hand than my old soft red. Slammed some nice putts with them. I'm still going to have to learn them a bit more, I get a lot more nose down than I normally do with my Wizards, so there have been times I've thrown them too low. Definitely going to be my go-to putters from now on.

Side-note: I think the plastic injector has four nozzles/four holed nozzle, my Stormtrooper is a bit swirly and I can clearly make out four dots of darker plastic in the nipple. The way that unique ION on eBay has swirled also suggests this. How far of am I? =)

I <3 medium Ions! I've thrown many putters including Wizards, Challengers, and Aviars and there is just something magical about the Ions. Possibly the best addition to the bag since my very first disc.

KJDog19 said:
I <3 medium Ions! I've thrown many putters including Wizards, Challengers, and Aviars and there is just something magical about the Ions. Possibly the best addition to the bag since my very first disc.

I agree 100%...Its not magic though. I've been to the factory and had conversations about the Ion's conception and development, and the "magic" has been engineered and implemented. The Ion is greater than that which has come before it.

Those black Ions are so sexy. You can see your reflection in the flight plate. You can use it like a rear view mirror.

My first impressions throwing the medium Ion were not that good, compared to the soft. It seems to have a bit less glide and is a bit more stable. But I started thinking, maybe it's just me sucking that is the deal. So today I threw a round where the medium Ion was my only putter I could use. It took me half a round, but then I simply changed how I was throwing it (almost to more like my old style I used with my Dart), and it started working MUCH better for me. I'm not sure why throwing it kind of like I throw a less stable putter would make it work better for me but it did. I will need some more reps to see if this will be something good for my putting game or not. Not sure if I'm ready to abandon the Wizards yet.

On soft news....I have been getting more of a feel for really powering down with my champ Roc on shorter approach shots that the soft Ion may be getting pushed out of that role. Not out of the bag, but being used MUCH less often.

Roy said:
Those black Ions are so sexy. You can see your reflection in the flight plate. You can use it like a rear view mirror.
the one ive messed with had a sunken flight plate and lacked the glide and HSS of my pink one :|

Jesse B 707 said:
Roy said:
the one ive messed with had a sunken flight plate and lacked the glide and HSS of my pink one :|

Mine seems a hair more HSS than my blue first run mediums. But I only threw it a couple of times so I dont scratch it up and ruin its hotness. :p

Love the mediums, they're everything I expected them to be. I got used to the grip in the soft and can now use it, but I much prefer the firm feel of the mediums, especially for putting. AND I can get these from FINLAND! Apparently the softs sold well enough that Powergrip felt the mediums were a good addition. I'm so glad now that I suggested Powergrip to MVP. =)

Jesse B 707 said:
Roy said:
Yeah, mine has a sunken flight plate too. I threw all my IONs (white and black medium, red soft) side by side today and on similar throws the glide was pretty identical, maybe a hair less in the black. Doesn't matter that much though, the white one is for driving and gliding, the black one is for pitching and banging the chains. =)

Roy said:
Mine seems a hair more HSS than my blue first run mediums. But I only threw it a couple of times so I dont scratch it up and ruin its hotness. :p
Boo! Discs are meant for throwing! Can't you hear that ION weeping?

EDIT: Oh yeah, forgot: I also ordered two FR softs (I take it that the only time the orange overmold and 165 weight was available was the FR?) from Marshall St. just for the sake of having them. Who knows, I might use them for jump putts, how was the stability and glide compared to the later runs?

It'll be thrown. I'm still on the first blue one. I cant just switch because one looks cooler. If it flies like this blue one I'm a happy guy.