• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well said burdphil, MVP's last 2 fairway driver releases both had some major inconsistency with the first runs, but they fixed it promptly. The difference is companies like innova have inconsistencies that they seem to NEVER fix.. This is why people gravitate to companies like MVP who make less discs and have the time to make changes and fix inconsistencies based on customer feedback.

Most of what MVP has made kicked out much of the discs i used to throw for YEARS from innova and discraft, like the Eagle, Roc, Buzzz, Aviar, Challenger.

MVP has proven a high standard with discs like the Axis, Anode, Ion and Volt so most of us who throw MVP expect nothing less than what they have done in the past so some get a little defensive when people talk down about anything MVP... even though they have had some stumbles like ANY other company.

They make great discs though. They compete with some of the most popular discs on the market, and certain people can't stand the idea of another company improving on the discs they have throw for years, maybe because they have hundreds or even thousands invested in CE, 9x, 10x, 11x.. whatever.. so they get upset knowing there is new stuff out there that's just as consistent and they feel too far invested and threatened, usually in denial that anything can be as good as what they throw now and are used to.

I know a few people personally who have thousands invested in CE and other rares in hopes of one day making huge profits on those discs.. assuming nothing will EVER be as good as those. How silly.

To each his own.

And MVP stands for Maple Valley Plastics :)

MVP Disc Sports is its own company owned by Chad and Brad Richardson, based out of Brown City, Michigan.

They are an offshoot of thier father's injection molding company, Maple Valley Plastics.

Let me just post a comment from a few months back-- So true! look what happened...

Even if you are a skilled thrower and used to testing different discs all the time (and this is even more true the farther away you are from good form/familiarity with different discs), when you throw a new disc you initially impart a little OAT on it. Often it's not even visible. This is especially true when throwing it near full power. It's also especially true when throwing something that "feels" different from what you normally practice with. This is because (my theory) each time you learn a new disc there is a touch of a learning curve in terms of grip and exactly how the disc sets in your hand to rip it most efficiently. I go through the discs in my collection that I've thrown a lot at some point and it's amazing how differently some of them fit in my hand. So until you figure out just how to clamp onto a new shape and release on perfect line with the direction of your power you will get at least a micro amount of OAT.

Now on most discs this is not much of an issue because a micro amount of OAT isn't going to drastically affect a disc's stability (especially today's wider rimmed drivers). However we all know that a little OAT can affect MVP's gyro weighted discs more profoundly. I remember when the Vector came out a lot of people were calling it flippy...I'd been using it for some time at that point and I though people were out of their minds. I even took like 10 different colors/weights/domes to a field and they were all some flavor of pretty darn overstable. This happened because people were getting OAT on it and it was flipping. Over time people grew comfortable with the grip/release and now if someone started a thread called "my new Vector is flippy" it would spark a huge backlash.

Some version of this has happened for every MVP release. I've found each mold less stable initially until I've thrown it for some time. Some discs feel more natural to me than others and this phenomenon is less dramatic, but it's still there.

So back to the Volt...If you averaged the out of the box stability of all the SPDs my Volts match the bottom 1/3 in stability. I've been really spinning them and I'm just not seeing hardly any turn from a flat release, even going 350' into a slight headwind.

I suspect that people are going to initially find the Volt flippy, but over time it will become one of those discs that points to form issues when someone is calling it flippy.

As for your comments that MVP has "superior R&D", you need to provide specific details as to how their process is so much better than anyone else's before you make such a statement. What do they do that's so much different other than simply go out and throw the discs?

I do not work for MVP so ill let them enlighten you but simply said:

-Their products alone are nothing like any other before them.
-The technology and science involved is amazing.
-These guys bleed injection molding and are a sublet of an Injection molding company which has been in business since 1967.

If you do any research on MVP at all you will find out they are a superior disc golf manufacturer. Hell their own website does a pretty good job for starters!

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/20120322336.pdf

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/y2012/0322336.html

http://rattlingchains.com/?p=2377

^^^Is this supposed to be public knowledge? If not, it should be deleted.

Agreed! Gyro is for sure a marketing term but there also is a lot to it-- this is no RIP disc golf disc being made in a basement lol... I wish I could even understand half of that stuff in there, let alone try and put it all together-- no wonder the Ion took 3 years(correct me if im wrong) to develope

You mean like the one that Zam posted a couple weeks ago on his FB?

184587_532649820093422_20264857_n.jpg

This needs to be posted here as well. Proton drivers are a reality.

Wonder how they fly compared to neutron I really don't notice much difference in the mids/putters between plastics.. more just flat vs dome but volt/amp/shock being higher speeds I wonder if there is any change in flight...

This needs to be posted here as well. Proton drivers are a reality.
Haha aw man, now I gotta post it here too :)
The image of that disc is DANGEROUS!

WHOA WHOA WHOA ... WHOA, you guys.

Don't freak out yet.
That disc is NOT an indicator of any upcoming Proton driver releases. That's the first Volt I ever got, and it was run as a prototype before the Volt was tested in Neutron. That disc is from early summer of last year -- as I recall Brad said they were running Eclipse when the Volt mold arrived, so they did the first test shots in Eclipse. The Neutron protos were produced soon after, and I've got one of each (that's the Neutron Volt proto in the pic, along with #6/10 Proto Eclipse Ion w/textured mold). I don't know how many Volt tests they made in Eclipse but it didn't sound like many.

But yeah... don't get excited about candy drivers because of that photo.

Ha.. yeah the price would be buying me out of MVP memorabilia forever. If I got rid of either glow proto, it'd be pointless trying to build a cool collection. But also, I don't know how many glow Volts they made. Let's hope there's like 2 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts