• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP VOLT - The Comprehensive Thread

I just got a P Tesla, 167-8 I think. It's not a Volt. We'll have to see how it flies after the MVPnew gets knocked off it, but for me it doesn't hold a line as well, fades sooner, glides less. Still need more time with it, but this weekend I threw a newish N Volt @ 174 alongside it on some similar shots, and was getting just a bit better D and better line-holding from the Volt.

That's my exact experience with my SE 167 Tesla. Once I started using it as an overstable fairway driver with an early forward fade it's really coming in useful.

I love the early volts. Hate the E proton volt and am luke warm on a regular P Volt. I still need to get a new Neutron Volt to test that out. I almost always have better luck/results from neutron plastic.

I think the mikeC teslas are the most overstable. Pteslas fly similar to a newer volt, but I think it is more like a crave than a volt. Volts have some turn in them when new, my crave didn't have any turn until recently and its 5months old. Oh and all my experience with teslas and volts are 173g and above.

Last edited:
^ well my SE tesla is 169g but it was a mutant from the get go. It flies more like a lightly beat in crave little to no turn and nearly no fade until very late.

The N Volt I threw alongside the P Tesla is a 'new' volt, I should've noted.

^I'd like to see where the P Tesla will be after a week or so of throws, I generally see the flight change a bit after that period...right now I'd compare the P Tesla to where the E Volt was when I first got it, kind of like that type of flight. It does already have a little "wiggle" in the HSS phase though, not quite "turn" just yet, but I can see where that will be the case, where the E Volt never got to that point, just added glide/lost fade over time. It (Tesla) still has that slight flashing right at the PLH, it's brand spanking new, and I need more time with it to really see what's up.

I have this feeling that my power level is right there where I'm getting the maximum performance from the Volt class, but maybe not quite able to get the Tesla class "over" rated speed? We'll see.

Last edited:
When the Volt got tweaked to the higher PLH version, at first it freaked me out. I did a lot of work on form since the Spring, and have added both D and consistency to my release angles, etc. And now I love the Volt as is. The perfect disc for me, can do most anything with it 300-350.

Reading this thread makes me try harder and harder to like my Volt. Dont get me wrong, I do like it for the roll its taking on, but I dont like its not Volt-ing for me. What I mean is, it seems like it is fading left as soon and i release it. Its also a lot more nose angle sensative than I remember the older volts being. Maybe I'm not used to the higher PLH or something, but I'm waiting for this thing to fly straight. Granted my form probably isnt that of some of you guys, but I get a lot more distance from discs of equal or great speed ratings than my P Volt. I want to try a lighter one as well - mine is 174g... I typically through 167-169

Reading this thread makes me try harder and harder to like my Volt. Dont get me wrong, I do like it for the roll its taking on, but I dont like its not Volt-ing for me. What I mean is, it seems like it is fading left as soon and i release it. Its also a lot more nose angle sensative than I remember the older volts being. Maybe I'm not used to the higher PLH or something, but I'm waiting for this thing to fly straight. Granted my form probably isnt that of some of you guys, but I get a lot more distance from discs of equal or great speed ratings than my P Volt. I want to try a lighter one as well - mine is 174g... I typically through 167-169

Since they tweaked the PLH, the Volt is a different animal than those original runs. The glide phase is even more spin-dependent than before, and it maintains a lot of high speed stability (no turn) even after some serious seasoning.

The older ones would start with a little and develop more turn as they seasoned, and HS turn, it seems to me, will help forgive nose-up throws.

What's basically changed is, to get the flight of an older Volt with a newer one takes a good bit more power. For me, it also took me some time to trust how much HS stability they have now, and so be able to really crank it low, at like shoulder height.

Since they tweaked the PLH, the Volt is a different animal than those original runs. The glide phase is even more spin-dependent than before, and it maintains a lot of high speed stability (no turn) even after some serious seasoning.

The older ones would start with a little and develop more turn as they seasoned, and HS turn, it seems to me, will help forgive nose-up throws.

What's basically changed is, to get the flight of an older Volt with a newer one takes a good bit more power. For me, it also took me some time to trust how much HS stability they have now, and so be able to really crank it low, at like shoulder height.

For me its not nose up angle. Its nose down actually. I try to focus so much on the snap to get this disc up to the speed, that I end up throwing it pretty low... and this is where it works well for me, despite not flying properly. If I need to land before something and skip in, this disc is the one for the job. it skips HUGE for me which has helped. I've just always wanted a volt that worked. When they first came out, I sucked, so they didnt work for me. Now that ive greatly improved, they still dont work for me because they done gone and tweaked things. Perhaps what I'm looking for, isnt a volt. But they just fit so nicely

Started to read the thread, a little overwhelming in volume. Thought I would just ask. I have had a Volt bagged for a while, nice pepto bismol colored piece of tasty reliable fairway driver. Runs and fade similair to a GS TL. Picked up a new bright pink on for a back up. Dropped it into my small winter bag and oh my....it is a meathook. Just a bad disc or is the original far more flippy than intended? Don't really need a fairway meathook. Any insight would be appreciated.

Started to read the thread, a little overwhelming in volume. Thought I would just ask. I have had a Volt bagged for a while, nice pepto bismol colored piece of tasty reliable fairway driver. Runs and fade similair to a GS TL. Picked up a new bright pink on for a back up. Dropped it into my small winter bag and oh my....it is a meathook. Just a bad disc or is the original far more flippy than intended? Don't really need a fairway meathook. Any insight would be appreciated.

mine is the same way. meathookish. i believe the new runs are more OS. check the PLH of your two side by side.

Yea the newer runs are more OS than the first couple runs. Which is why I don't carry a volt anymore. Between the crave and tesla all those shots are covered. If you want a disc more like your old volt get a new amp. The amp will probly be a touch flippier, but it is the closest. Hey AIM your thoughts?

How similar are volts to teslas? I have a Teebird and a Valk and am thinking of getting one of the two as a third driver.

The tesla is a little faster and doesn't really have any turn, unless you got a real big arm or get a light one. Even then they don't really turn, but will hold a forced anny longer. The volt is kinda of a tweener disc, some use it as a fairway others as a distance driver. My proton tesla is pretty close to how a volt flies, only faster. It has just a bit of wiggle b4 a heavy forward fade. The neutron just has a heavy fade. The volt has a bit of wiggle, before a less beefy finish.

Last edited:
In the event you accidently get a first run volt it will fly similarly to a champ valk. The new ones are more OS.

Cool, thanks for the info. I think I'll try the tesla, as I need something that will give me long straight lines

a volt is straighter than a tesla IMO. I bag 3-4 of each one.

Volts are a true 0 HSS with the LSS seasoning out while Teslas season up to turn just a hair and then fade stronger.

no, Volt is faster and when brand new would be more like a PD really. Some champ tbs can be similarly OS when new though as well.

The true MVP tbird would be a Crave.

no, Volt is faster and when brand new would be more like a PD really. Some champ tbs can be similarly OS when new though as well.

The true MVP tbird would be a Crave.

I agree about the Volt but I think the Servo is closer to the Teebird for me. The Crave had more turn.

I agree about the Volt but I think the Servo is closer to the Teebird for me. The Crave had more turn.

This probably depends on the Teeber in question. I think it was Mike C that drew the Crave/DX Tbird comparison.

The Servo is close to a Champ-type tbird flight for me, except for the fade, where I think the Servo is a bit dumpier/less penetrating.