• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP VOLT - The Comprehensive Thread

its not out yet!!! the testers will get a run at them soon and then we all can play!!! trust me you will know when it is out!!!

Why's that? Since it's on the overstable side it would have to be a thumber or overhand roller.

Overstable discs are great for long straight rollers. Either way based on the limited info we have it doesn't sound too overstable. Guessing roughly PDish with gyro tech.

Why's that? Since it's on the overstable side it would have to be a thumber or overhand roller.

Actually, it's specifically advertised as "Stable" not overstable, and just because you can't throw a backhand roller with it doesn't mean it won't roll well.

Actually, it's specifically advertised as "Stable" not overstable, and just because you can't throw a backhand roller with it doesn't mean it won't roll well.

True but its numbers appear to match up with the PD which I would consider a stable/overstable disc. I don't doubt that it will roll since my Vector has done it well when I've tried to get around stuff on the ground but I don't expect the Volt to be the next big roller disc either.

Gyro tech explained: Discs are gyroscopic. Discs that are more gyroscopic fly better. MVP developed technology to make discs more gyroscopic, so they fly better than an identical shaped disc molded with traditional methods would.

Gyro tech explained: Discs are gyroscopic. Discs that are more gyroscopic fly better. MVP developed technology to make discs more gyroscopic, so they fly better than an identical shaped disc molded with traditional methods would.

Basically what I said in the other thread, but with less sarcasm.

I think I might respectfully disagree with the notion that more gyroscopic = better.

Take a disc like the Comet. In my opinion, it flies much better on anhyzer lines than an Axis. Increasing the gyroscopics of a disc will make it fade less, but that low speed FADE of a comet is what makes it pan out on such beautiful long anhyzers. I think discs need to assessed on how they fly, and it shouldn't just be assumed that if you could make a comet more gyroscopic it would automatically become better. It will make it different. It might make it less understable, and have less fade, but maybe that's not what you want if you want a disc that flies like a Comet. In fact, if you could take my favorite beat up Aviar and make it as pretty looking as an MVP disc, people would be raving about how straight and graceful and controllable it flies.

Fast discs like Nukes and Destroyers and the like are already very gyroscopic. In drivers, you'll notice differences in MVP discs less than you will in mids and putters. I'd put money on it. Remember that until recently Nikko was allowed to throw anything he wanted to throw, and there was no MVP in his bag. I'll bet he tried some out and thought they weren't going to add anything for him.

I'm not saying they don't fly amazingly well, because they do. I personally think the Ion is the best putter in existence for drives and approaches. I just think saying that any disc that got the MVP treatment would be automatically better is not correct.

Ryan I agree. I don't think every old mold design would become better if it were made MVP style. Some might, some might not.

It's the same with new plastics. Champ aviars and rocs fly much different than dx.

I think that for optimal performance you need to design a given mold around the technology you intend to use with it.

Oh, and Anodes are straight and controllable right off the bat, and will stay like that for a long time. That's why I like their discs so much. I can have kc pro roc flight lines and glide (roughly) in a plastic that prevents me from having to cycle discs. I can throw a brand new axis flat at max power and watch it cruise dead straight with a.bit of fade at the end like a seasoned to straight Roc, but cracking it into a tree right off the tee won't make it my new flippy Roc.

Now they just need an understable mid. My beat Axis is getting there :)

Last edited:
Also the discs you like are relative to your throwing style. I throw bh and fh with equal proficiency at putter and mid distance so I value predictability and good hss over someone who might throw exclusively bh and with less power. Where they might throw a wedge or beat comet I might flick an axis. That person might prefer beating up some dx mids for some easy turnovers. Just gotta find what works.

Also the discs you like are relative to your throwing style. I throw bh and fh with equal proficiency at putter and mid distance so I value predictability and good hss over someone who might throw exclusively bh and with less power. Where they might throw a wedge or beat comet I might flick an axis. That person might prefer beating up some dx mids for some easy turnovers. Just gotta find what works.

Amen brother. :clap:

Have hated the name Volt since I heard it but didn't know why. Then I just saw another Chevy Volt commercial and remembered why.

Fast discs like Nukes and Destroyers and the like are already very gyroscopic. In drivers, you'll notice differences in MVP discs less than you will in mids and putters. I'd put money on it. Remember that until recently Nikko was allowed to throw anything he wanted to throw, and there was no MVP in his bag. I'll bet he tried some out and thought they weren't going to add anything for him.

As a matter of fact I know exactly what nikkos view on MVP were, the first MVP disc he ever threw was my 180g first run Axis, It was hole 7 at youngs run. He asked about the axis, said he had heard about the vector but never threw one. He put it dead straight into the woods about 320 ft. He said and I quote "Oh man that thing is nasty". Not sure if he has thrown mvp since.