• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP VOLT - The Comprehensive Thread

I carry a Neutron for tomahawks. Use a Plasma for woods. And carry two Fission as my main drivers. Love the Volt. Electron Volt sounds interesting.

Fission volt. Pew pew, hit hole 14 basket at Hidden Lake in MN. The fairway is so skinny you could only fit an atv down the path.

Fission volt. Pew pew, hit hole 14 basket at Hidden Lake in MN. The fairway is so skinny you could only fit an atv down the path.

Yeah yeah yeah...

Ok it was legit as hell. Im salty.

We are talking skinny dip line here. Like hardly fit most of yallz bags down thw fairway.

My plasma did yoeman's work today. I busted it out on some tees where I ordinarily throw one Photon or another, and realized that I didn't know how far I could throw this guy. I've been, like, criminally underusing it.

My plasma did yoeman's work today. I busted it out on some tees where I ordinarily throw one Photon or another, and realized that I didn't know how far I could throw this guy. I've been, like, criminally underusing it.

The plasma is my favorite. If I could only have one disc and a putter for a round it would be the plasma volt. Any course and in any condition.

Tested 157 and 163 Fission Volts today at Patapsco Valley, an 8,000ish-foot 18-holer. This is the first time Volts have worked for me. Volt definitely matches my noodle arm better than Wrath.

I think Volt will pair nicely with the S-FD, my main fairway driver at the wooded courses I usually play. Volt finishes with a noticeable fade, whereas S-FD is very straight and a little longer. Fizz Volt was a little shorter and a little more stable, fighting out of turns and finishing with a consistent fade.

I think the two will pair nicely, with the Hatchet for understable fairway duties. I look forward to seeing how the Fizz Volts season.

I would love to try a Plasma Volt, but none of the usual online vendors has any in my preferred weight range (max of 167 grams).

165g- 155g plasma volts are technically not a thing but i have owned some 168g plasma. I think i have a used first run pink around if interested at 168g. Ill have to scale...

165g- 155g plasma volts are technically not a thing but i have owned some 168g plasma. I think i have a used first run pink around if interested at 168g. Ill have to scale...

If you would not mind I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks for checking!

I would love to try a Plasma Volt, but none of the usual online vendors has any in my preferred weight range (max of 167 grams).
I'm not saying 160-range Plasma Volts don't exist but MVP only offers the Plasma Volt in 170+ ...which doesn't even mean 170g. I usually only see them around 174-175g. I hope that helps. But hey, you can always hunt them down in the used/ebay market and pay a ton for them. :p

I have to say, if there ever was a longer teebird, the volt is it.

There are so many great speed 9ish discs out there, but the volt, the pd, the valkyrie and the olf have got to be the best in class.

I'm not saying 160-range Plasma Volts don't exist but MVP only offers the Plasma Volt in 170+ ...which doesn't even mean 170g. I usually only see them around 174-175g. I hope that helps. But hey, you can always hunt them down in the used/ebay market and pay a ton for them. :p

Justin, thanks for the info, even though it is not what I wanted to hear.

I have no interest in rare discs. At all. If I yank a drive into the poison ivy, I want to walk away with no regrets grab, another disc from the trunk, and eventually order a stack of readily-available replacements.

Looks like I'll just keep throwing Fission Volts into trees and see how they develop. They did fly rather nicely last weekend, and I expect they will only get better as the discs season and I learn their properties.

I did like the idea of Plasma Volts being on the glidier, less beefy end of the Volt spectrum. Oh well.

Justin, thanks for the info, even though it is not what I wanted to hear.

I have no interest in rare discs. At all. If I yank a drive into the poison ivy, I want to walk away with no regrets grab, another disc from the trunk, and eventually order a stack of readily-available replacements.

Looks like I'll just keep throwing Fission Volts into trees and see how they develop. They did fly rather nicely last weekend, and I expect they will only get better as the discs season and I learn their properties.

I did like the idea of Plasma Volts being on the glidier, less beefy end of the Volt spectrum. Oh well.

Plamas are definitely less beefy than new Neutron, Protons, and heavier weight Fission. It is possible to find sub-170g but harder to find. The lightest I have found is a 168. The ones with the most turn are FR Volts and the soon to be released Electron Volts. The Electron Volts are fantastic and hold a similar line to well seasoned FR Volts. They might be what you are looking for once they are released.

Found some 169 Plasma Volts at Discs Unlimited. They still have a couple left after my order. I will be very interested to see how these fly.

after reading this, i think i need to try a plasma volt. i have a neutron (173) and fission (167) i had a proton telsa (which was a volt.. let's be honest) but didnt like it. the electron volt is pretty good new, but i just didn't jive with it after a few throws.

still looking for my max d driver. maybe this is my answer?

after reading this, i think i need to try a plasma volt. maybe this is my answer?

I say go for it. It's a great mold in a great plastic.

For me, and I think I'm an outlier on this (because some guys say that in Plasma it's close to the early runs,) it's not THAT different from a newer N, for example. At least, stability-wise. Mine doesn't really turn at HS at all, it may drift some if I really lean into it. I'd say it flies more like a seasoned up newer run. It really kind of reminds me of an awesome Eclipse that I had nice and beat in, before I lost it to a watery grave at Trophy Lakes a while back. It has a much longer glide phase, especially at my powered down Ds, which puts it say right at 300, and muted fade.

So, as it gets more beat (mines in that 7-8ish/10 stage,) the Plasma might start showing some noticeable flip, I don't know, whereas these super flat/high PLH later runs in N never really do.

I just really love the feel of it in Plasma. It has just enough flex for me. Not as flexy as some of the runs of N that approach "soft." In fact, oddly maybe, I think this Plasma Volt is a bit stiffer than the other drivers I've more recently gotten in Plasma (Photon, Wave.) I don't know, maybe the narrower rim = a bit more density in the flight plate.

Anyway, any Volt person needs to try it in Plasma, IMO.

Last edited:

My form has felt weird all spring since throwing with boots etc in the snow so decided to take out 6 volts and 4 ions to the local DGC... Plasma x2 neutron eclipse and proton x2 one very old from release. Shots just over 300ish with basket(cone) at around 280-90 range. Volt is a volt as you can see. These all are max wt flat tops. Even the pink 6-7/10 proton isnt any less HSS.

I love throwing the volt on distance flex lines too as it will fly such a tight helix they just crush. Sometimes i seriously consider only throwing volts/relays/ions. But new **** is fun.

^^Can vouch that beat pink proton flies like a dream, even into headwind.

You should take the volts to bethel a day with some mad tailwind and throw whatever hole you threw that electron of mine on. A video of that proves the gyro.

(Or maybe its better most dont know the secret...)