• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP VOLT - The Comprehensive Thread

Just got a 165g Fission Volt in last night. Why do I have an escape still in my bag? I may grab an N or P soon to get just a bit more stability for wind. As is, the F volt at my arm speed is almost perfect straight to fade. It looks like it wants to turn and just never quite edges right. (or I am seeing just a hair of OAT that gets negated by the stability of this disc). I don't know if it is just the newness or if it is just that stinking good. Average throw beats my escape by 10'-20'. So not huge and could be entirely based on the 10g difference but definitely noticeable.

My sparkle blue Proton? 0... I swear that thing is a FR with the body of a production run...
My neutron is a different beast. It's well worn and well acquainted with road rash (oops..?) so it has lost its fade, but it is still quite HSS. I'd say about a 10 MPH headwind and it's beginning to show some turn. 15+ and it's gotta be released on a moderate hyzer and it will flip u to flat. Anything past 15 and I'm busting out the motion.
For what it's worth you got me by about 15-20 feet or so in distance.

The flatter OS volts will handle a decent headwind but not domey volts. ill throw/bag a tesla if its howling. 20Mph-ish id say.

Agreed 20mph and over. Threw my most stable faf super stiff neutron Volt in Kansas during the GBO. Lots of wind, hard core wind. Negated any fade at all. Down hill shot bending hard right with a good amount of hyzer and it flipped to flat and went dead staight. (LHBH) Back home in the woods in PA I don't have those issues.

Agreed 20mph and over. Threw my most stable faf super stiff neutron Volt in Kansas during the GBO. Lots of wind, hard core wind.

Welcome to the plains. Did you have any putts where the wind laughed and threw them back at you?

Welcome to the plains. Did you have any putts where the wind laughed and threw them back at you?
It was a real learning experience for sure. I've seen strong winds, but not strong plains winds. I always practice when the wind is high here now, and always out in a field. Had some good 30-40mph days here this winter.

It was pretty funny when I asked the locals what they would rate the wind when I was there from 1 to 10 and they said about a 2 :D

If it's windy enough where a firebird flips into a headwind, it's time to put up the discs...
I feel like 40 MPH is getting awful close to that level...
I can't imagine putting into that kinda wind. That would mean the disc had an airspeed of over 50 mph when it was released, probably closer to 60, depending on how hard you putt...

You don't make many putts even at 10' but it's a very good training tool. I learned a lot

Alright.

I had a shootout today between this, a couple pd and a flat molf. And I'm slightly irritated and confused.

The volt is a weird disc. I don't think it has as much hss or lss as a pd. I think it has a bit more hss than an olf, but not as much lss.

But I have a feeling that the damn things are so flat when they're thrown into a head or crosswind, they hold the line better than either of those two discs.

Here's what I mean. I did some field work in calm conditions. I can throw a current run s or c or even g pd on a flex line and know it will easily flex out hard for me. If I throw it flat, isn't going that far. Not even 360'. I can do the same with an olf. It Will hold the turn longer and then flex at the end hard, and a flat rip will carry a bit farther before fading. The volt doesn't flex as much as these two, and it holds straight longer before fading. The fade is not what I'd consider an overstable to finish, per se.

But when it's thrown into the wind, its behavior seems less affected than the other two discs. I wanted to put the pd back in the bag today. After parking some holes with them today, I was confident it would go right back in place of my olfs again. And instead I'm going to keep my volts.

Congrats, mvp.

Alright.

I had a shootout today between this, a couple pd and a flat molf. And I'm slightly irritated and confused.

The volt is a weird disc. I don't think it has as much hss or lss as a pd. I think it has a bit more hss than an olf, but not as much lss.

But I have a feeling that the damn things are so flat when they're thrown into a head or crosswind, they hold the line better than either of those two discs.

Here's what I mean. I did some field work in calm conditions. I can throw a current run s or c or even g pd on a flex line and know it will easily flex out hard for me. If I throw it flat, isn't going that far. Not even 360'. I can do the same with an olf. It Will hold the turn longer and then flex at the end hard, and a flat rip will carry a bit farther before fading. The volt doesn't flex as much as these two, and it holds straight longer before fading. The fade is not what I'd consider an overstable to finish, per se.

But when it's thrown into the wind, its behavior seems less affected than the other two discs. I wanted to put the pd back in the bag today. After parking some holes with them today, I was confident it would go right back in place of my olfs again. And instead I'm going to keep my volts.

Congrats, mvp.

Not believing this until you update the sig. :p

It took MVP something like 2 years to make the Volt. It was their first wider rim. The flagship driver. And, IMHO, second only to the Ion in overall versatility and importance to the brand.

So yea, it's a decent disc.

(Can't wait for them to release the Electron Volt in general production)

@kodachrome the main thing I see that's different between MVP discs and others is the HSS when juiced up, like way way up even into a headwind. If the mold allows it, they will turn at lower speeds (examples include a beat to a living pulp volt, crave, etc.), say out to about 320. However, when thrown into a headwind, where say a PD worn into the same stability as a beat volt is thrown side by side, the volt's HSS is darn near identical to when it was thrown 320, and the PD has a lot more wiggle. I have absolute confidence bombing my Octane into a headwind, it's weird but I do it all the time. For me that's where the whole Gyro thing really shines.