• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP VOLT - The Comprehensive Thread

The Volt is not identical to the PD in any way. It feels very different in the hand. When I get a chance to throw it more I'm sure I will notice many subtle differences in flight between the two molds. Considering the PD has been my main driver for the past couple years it is simply the easiest disc for me to compare the Volt to.

What I was saying is that if a driver exactly like the Volt came out, but it was made by Discraft, no one would be kicking PD's out of their bag for it. MVP is just a super duper trendy company to become a hugely super loyal fan of. Which is not to say that I don't throw their discs or like them. Its just that people were jonesing for an MVP driver for so long that they'll kick whatever their current go-to disc is for it, even if Volts aren't an upgrade, or even a similar disc.

Last edited:
I need to also stress that the production runs could be a little different than the protos as MVP is updating some of their equipment before doing production on the Volt.

That doesn't sound good. Could be a while before we see 'em, huh?

What I was saying is that if a driver exactly like the Volt came out, but it was made by Discraft, no one would be kicking PD's out of their bag for it. MVP is just a super duper trendy company to become a hugely super loyal fan of. Which is not to say that I don't throw their discs or like them. Its just that people were jonesing for an MVP driver for so long that they'll kick whatever their current go-to disc is for it, even if Volts aren't an upgrade, or even a similar disc.

To me trendy is defined by a product that has had it's value increased largely due to hype that is not necessarily merited. MVP does not make as much money off their products as the large companies, so this is obviously not the case. There are a multitude of legit reasons why one might favor MVP over other companies. Every MVP disc is manufactured with higher quality materials(lat/westside are on par with MVP) and held to a higher standard than any other disc golf company. Each disc sold has had more attention paid to it than any other company's discs. Blah blah blah...I don't really need to go on. MVP gives you more for your money. The short of it is that nobody should be offended if somebody wants to support MVP's efforts, and nothing should be judged simply because it has had some bandwagon followers.

If Quest AT made a driver exactly like the Volt I would try it, and it would probably make it into my bag. You even admit to throwing MVP's discs so they must fly good for you, or you are just trying to be trendy.

Who ****ing cares, damn. If you want to throw something, throw it. If not, why talk about what's trendy? Doesn't effect anyone. :|.

I get "gimmick" discs a ton when i pull out my ion. I would say that most of us in this sight are trendy to a certain degree. MVP is not a trend at all, they are new, and I will try every disc they come out with. For me their putters are the only molds in my bag. I am not disillusioned enough to blindly love this driver or any future disc they release. I will give it a true test period and if it works great if not it goes to the market place where it will be gobbled up. Cheers

I would say that most of us in this sight are trendy to a certain degree.

This is an excellent point. Members here are waaaaaaaay more dialed in to the newest discs and equipment that are being released. I often get looks from people at the local course about my Latitude plastic. So yes, we may be trendy, but there isn't anything wrong with that, either. Especially because, for all intents and purposes, disc golf is nowhere near a trendy sport.

Well discraft doesn't use gyro tech so yeah I'm more excited. I've been waiting years for this particular disc. I can come close to my Axis throws with a Buzz and same with Vectors and Rocs but in the end one has gyro tech and one doesn't, and I can see a big difference between them when I throw them. I expect similar things from the driver. Might be like my OLFs but I'm hoping the gyro tech translates to awesome glide and longer, easier dead straight shots like the Axis and others are doing for me.

My favorite driver is a QOLF I've been using for almost 3 years. I'm hoping the Volt will be the predictable, buttery smooth line shaper it is but with better glide and easier to replace. I'd be lost without that disc.

Last edited:
Does anyone think that the Volt is intended as an extension to the Axis/Vector? In my experience I've found the Vector to be a faster Ion and the same with Axis/Anode. I'm not entirely sure if this is intentional on MVP's part, but it seems plausible.

EDIT: I suppose if that were true, we'd be expecting a companion driver to this one in the near future to keep the duality going.

If it was looking like a fairway driver I might say yes but this looks to be more of a distance type.

I think speeds 8-9 are kind of like the modern fairway driver. Definitely not fast enough to fit the distance driver label theses days.

False. I am usually pretty anti-trendy, throwing Sentinels over Hornets, Destroyers over Bosses, Warlocks over Aviars. I really was a bit disc-usted (punny) when I felt MVP's plastic. I thought it'd be too slick to putt with, especially when wet, and that a composite disc would be absolutely garbage once again.

However, being a big fan of Michigan brews, and getting my hands on an Axis, I soon realized there was something to this physics/magic talk. I'm not sold on it entirely yet, but when I compare it to my Buzzzes, I am HARD pressed not to push them out for the Axis. Wouldn't that be a case of me losing a discraft mold for an MVP? The only thing stopping me from doing so is I prefer Elite X plastic.

I think the only thing more annoying than a fanboy is someone who is a fanboy of trashing fanboys without adding anything to conversation.

False. I am usually pretty anti-trendy, throwing Sentinels over Hornets, Destroyers over Bosses, Warlocks over Aviars. I really was a bit disc-usted (punny) when I felt MVP's plastic. I thought it'd be too slick to putt with, especially when wet, and that a composite disc would be absolutely garbage once again.

However, being a big fan of Michigan brews, and getting my hands on an Axis, I soon realized there was something to this physics/magic talk. I'm not sold on it entirely yet, but when I compare it to my Buzzzes, I am HARD pressed not to push them out for the Axis. Wouldn't that be a case of me losing a discraft mold for an MVP? The only thing stopping me from doing so is I prefer Elite X plastic.

I think the only thing more annoying than a fanboy is someone who is a fanboy of trashing fanboys without adding anything to conversation.

People are allowed to like whatever they want to like, but as someone with no particular bias to throwing a certain company, its funny to me to see so many people that are just about ready to swear the throw the Volt until the day they die, without ever even having tested it.

Mike C said that no other companies use gyro tech, so OF COURSE he is more excited. Unforunately that statement ignores the point I was making. If a mold that flew IDENTICALLY to a Volt came out from Discraft, people wouldn't be dropping PDs for them. Its just the cool black rim and the brand name that makes the final difference on whether they throw it.

Now I have no problem with Mike C, Discspeed, or anyone else that is excited. You can bet that I'll be trying these out when they are released. But I go in to it with what I think is a more sober perspective. If testing discs has taught me anything, its that the psycholigical excitement is a greater factor than actual superior disc flights, and that about 80% of what I try doesn't make the bag.

Mike C said that no other companies use gyro tech, so OF COURSE he is more excited. Unforunately that statement ignores the point I was making. If a mold that flew IDENTICALLY to a Volt came out from Discraft, people wouldn't be dropping PDs for them. Its just the cool black rim and the brand name that makes the final difference on whether they throw it.

I think Mike was pointing out that Discraft couldn't make a disc fly like the Volt with a traditional one-piece design. I think you are missing the fact that some of us are of the opinion that MVP discs simply fly better for us in general due to the Gyro (and superior materials and production quality as I explained in a previous post). With the exception of discs that I don't want to fly/glide straight in any way, I believe any mold from any company would fly better with a two-piece gyroscopically weighted design. So it is not a stretch at all for fans of MVP's style of discs to imagine the Volt flying different/better for them.

Regarding the last sentence of your post, there will always be people that buy things based on image/marketing. In the past all those people threw Innova/Discraft/whatever was hot, so I have no problem with some o their dollars being thrown toward MVP instead. 5 years ago MVP discs was two teenage brothers with an idea. The only marketing they've done is to give a couple of DGCR members some discs to use and review. All the MVP hype has it's origins in peoples' experiences with their discs.

Just saw on communitydiscgolf.com they have the volt listed as the following
Speed: 10
Glide: 5
Turn: -1 to -2
Fade: 1 to 2

If it holds to those specs I gotta say it would be quit a disc. :thmbup:

Just saw on communitydiscgolf.com they have the volt listed as the following
Speed: 10
Glide: 5
Turn: -1 to -2
Fade: 1 to 2

If it holds to those specs I gotta say it would be quit a disc. :thmbup:

OK so its an Eagle-L with more speed and glide.

will be good for straight long drives with little fade

Last edited:
Those ratings are just a guess.
I would rate the protos I threw: