• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP VOLT - The Comprehensive Thread

I am not sure how the testers know that the neutron plastic is faster than proton. It seemed to me like they were guessing in the reviews i read. Definitely good for mvp if people are wanting to go out and buy all the same discs over again because the new version is slightly better or faster.

Maybe because we have a brain and some ability...That's the most pompous post I've read today. NOBODY here is measuring speed of discs with an instrument. How do I know a Boss is faster than an Ape and a Groove despite the same number from Innova? Did I just "guess"? Do we all just "guess" that the Buzzz is faster than the Roc? If you haven't even thrown the discs then you are just suggesting that we are all full of it just to be an ass, which I take offense to.

I throw 163-166 solfs and mvp discs have been heavier than expected in the past.

I think you can handle a few grams heavier...

Yea, MVP would certainly benefit if they could mold lighter discs.

That they would, and I'm sure we'll see them soon enough.

Has anyone heard when our testers will be getting their test volts?

Mine are scheduled for delivery tomorrow sometime.

I am not sure how the testers know that the neutron plastic is faster than proton. It seemed to me like they were guessing in the reviews i read. Definitely good for mvp if people are wanting to go out and buy all the same discs over again because the new version is slightly better or faster.

We've all come to the conclusion of the Vectors being faster, and superior glide. Pretty sure we aren't 'guessing' we're giving our opinion.

I don't think you read his post right either. It was in response to ups who lives in mn.

Having talked with Blake and Dan Beto, who do all the testing and throwing and rating for GGGT, there is definitely a difference in performance when the temps drop below 50*. I was also referring to our competitive season, which there are only a few tourneys left, none of which I'm playing. Ofc we play all winter long, but it's not the same. You seem to call me out over everything out of the blue, please stop it.

I heard that the Volt will be released to the masses sometime in late October or very early November.

Shucks!!!!!!!!! :p

"MVP Volt will be shipping to us on Oct. 22nd- arriving 24th-26th ish. New driver from the makers of the Ion! We will have them soon!"

This is from The Throw Shop's (located in Ypsilanti, MI) facebook!

I'm beyond excited now.

EDIT: Looks like I'm late to the party :( But at least I started this thread!

I think you can handle a few grams heavier...
I can throw heavier discs and I do when it is windy. I just don't feel the reason to replace what works for me. Get over it.

Having talked with Blake and Dan Beto, who do all the testing and throwing and rating for GGGT, there is definitely a difference in performance when the temps drop below 50*. I was also referring to our competitive season, which there are only a few tourneys left, none of which I'm playing. Ofc we play all winter long, but it's not the same. You seem to call me out over everything out of the blue, please stop it.
I never said it.... I was correcting someone else for not understanding a different post

Maybe because we have a brain and some ability...That's the most pompous post I've read today. NOBODY here is measuring speed of discs with an instrument. How do I know a Boss is faster than an Ape and a Groove despite the same number from Innova? Did I just "guess"? Do we all just "guess" that the Buzzz is faster than the Roc? If you haven't even thrown the discs then you are just suggesting that we are all full of it just to be an ass, which I take offense to.

I have thrown both the N and P Ions and didn't notice any difference in speed except for when I threw one faster. I was only commenting on what I read in the reviews by the testers.

I have a question for those of you who preordered from community discs.

When you preorder the Volt do you pick what color you want or is it just whatever they send you?

He asks what you want. He said if he can't give you exactly that he will email before shipping

I have thrown both the N and P Ions and didn't notice any difference in speed except for when I threw one faster. I was only commenting on what I read in the reviews by the testers.

I'm a tester, and I stated in 4 or 5 different posts that they were faster and they are...I'm not sure where I seemed like I was guessing. If you haven't noticed, go throw them so more. Throw them in some different wind direction/speeds at a greater range of power and distances. Compared how long they can fly low and at what point they start dropping and hitting the ground. Then you will see that they are faster. I see it in my Ions, Anodes, Axis, and Vectors vs. their Proton brethren.

I have a question for those of you who preordered from community discs.

When you preorder the Volt do you pick what color you want or is it just whatever they send you?

He asks what you want. He said if he can't give you exactly that he will email before shipping

Justin will email you to let you know what he has in response to your preferences (given at order). He'll work really hard to make sure he can meet your expectations. If he can't do it exactly he will do his best to get you what you want.

Put it this way--you'll know exactly what you're getting from Justin.

"MVP Volt will be shipping to us on Oct. 22nd- arriving 24th-26th ish. New driver from the makers of the Ion! We will have them soon!"

This is from The Throw Shop's (located in Ypsilanti, MI) facebook!

Hmmmm.. I might have to make a trip to play the Ponds on the 27th, weather willing. I only need 4 more punches on my card to get a free disc! :thmbup:

this makes sense, it was me that was calling you out. lots of people take the winter off and it's silly. it's sounds like there was a miscommunication though, i understand what you mean now.

i don't need to reply again just to change topics...

how does the plastic affect speed? the rim width and shape would affect speed, i can see that, but i guess i'm with steve on the P vs N debate. I can't think of any reason why a different plastic core would make something faster.

edit: and with most of the weight in the outside edge to create the "gyro." the inside plastic shouldn't create much difference... should it? or is the idea of "gyro" technology a little exagerated.

Last edited:
how does the plastic affect speed? the rim width and shape would affect speed, i can see that, but i guess i'm with steve on the P vs N debate. I can't think of any reason why a different plastic core would make something faster.

edit: and with most of the weight in the outside edge to create the "gyro." the inside plastic shouldn't create much difference... should it? or is the idea of "gyro" technology a little exagerated.

You'd think that it would be the case, but there have been multiple people who have come to the same conclusion. Perhaps the plastics are a different texture at a microscopic level making one have less air resistance than the other. Just something to think about. Also, I've noticed that with the Axis and Vector the transition between the overmold and the core are a lot smoother in the N line than in P.

So, not to be all late to the party and whatnot, but what are the expected numbers on this thing? Is it going to be replacing my River, my Stalker, or my Predator?

It takes very minute, even imperceptible changes in any single variable on any part of the disc to make large differences in flight. You wouldn't believe how strange some things have turned out at the MVP factory during initial prototyping of slightly different versions of the same plastic. If a core shrinks more or less because of the exact plastic blend/cooling time/cooling temp then it will affect how exactly the overmold comes together with it. For example, when MVP first prototyped medium plastic Ions the plastic shaped up so much differently than the softs at room temp that the overmold slipped way low and completely covered the bead. MVP had to do some tweaking to get the mediums to look like the softs. Even now I think soft MVP discs and regular/medium proton discs fly MUCH differently from each other in multiple ways, even though the overmolds are exactly the same.

So in short, anything thing MVP does different could and probably will have a partially unanticipated effect on how the discs fly. Neutron soft my end up not flying like soft Proton or Neutron...It could be less stable or more stable, faster or slower, etc. No one knows until in happens...

Rather than the overmold making in more likely for an MVP disc to fly the same in different plastics, it actually adds more variables that could magnify the flight differences instead.

So, not to be all late to the party and whatnot, but what are the expected numbers on this thing? Is it going to be replacing my River, my Stalker, or my Predator?

Nobody knows for certain, no one but Chad and Brad have thrown the final product I'm sure. (Maybe Zam, also) But Discspeed would have the best guess seeing how he's thrown the protos.

Nobody knows for certain, no one but Chad and Brad have thrown the final product I'm sure. (Maybe Zam, also) But Discspeed would have the best guess seeing how he's thrown the protos.

I've been told not to put too much weight into my experience with the protos as they did not have the optimal settings dialed in on the old machine...So we're just going to have to wait and see. My package was in Ohio as of midnight, so I'm thinking Mike C should get his today.

Mmmm... MVP plastic. I love what they do. Can't wait to see how it effects a driver.

Latest posts