• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP VOLT - The Comprehensive Thread

If it helps I've been reviewing on DGR long before I worked at DN

This disc really does have sunshine coming out its ass. I rarely review anything outside Millennium because of my sponsorship. If I'm reviewing on DGCR, it's because it is a damn good disc

But yeah you should buy from DN :D

^^ that's good to hear zj1002 :D Unfortunately, I can't really tell just by browsing quickly through the forums whether people work at a company/store, are sponsored, or whatever. Maybe DGCR could have some sort of title like they do for "DGCR Consultant". That'd be kinda cool. Anyway, more reviews!!!!!!!!!!

Only when I throw FH, especially with a run up.

Glad I am not the only one that feels this way about the mids and experienced the difficulty in flicking them cleanly. I like to think my FH is pretty clean, but I guess not as clean as it could be. Also happy to hear the volt can handle the OAT better.

I haven't had a chance to throw my Volts yet. Weather here has been absolutely awful. T-storms, rain, and lots of wind. Hopefully it clears up tomorrow and I'll be able to throw them and get a feel for them.

Unfortunately, I missed out on DN today.:wall: Oh well....got the 25th marked on the calendar.
Week and a half....I may live.
:popcorn:

Unfortunately, I missed out on DN today.:wall: Oh well....got the 25th marked on the calendar.
Week and a half....I may live.
:popcorn:
You can still test them -- there are a couple left at the driving range checkout, and anyone can test them for the time leading up to the release.

You can still test them -- there are a couple left at the driving range checkout, and anyone can test them for the time leading up to the release.

I know, but the chances of me making it to Austin are very slim...though I do need to hit Buda soon...may be a chance.;)

I was lucky enough to get one of these at disc nation. I ended up with a blue 172. These things are pretty sweet. I was throwing into a headwind mostly and it only totally flipped over a couple times. Definitely reminds me of my beat up pd. tons of easy glide and capable of huge anhyzers. I was throwing in the low 300's and a couple of the guys out there were pushing well past 430. Super stoked to try it on the course.

bug

I was lucky enough to get one of these at disc nation. I ended up with a blue 172. These things are pretty sweet. I was throwing into a headwind mostly and it only totally flipped over a couple times. Definitely reminds me of my beat up pd. tons of easy glide and capable of huge anhyzers. I was throwing in the low 300's and a couple of the guys out there were pushing well past 430. Super stoked to try it on the course.

bug

Yeah if you can get the late nose up flip, it will do some great 450+ shots

Jason was throwing them on 450 ropes. We tried for 500 but I think I only got to about 470

The dark pink 175g seemed to be the most stable. They would hook up really nice at the end of the turn

All this talk of low stability on the Volt is scaring me, I was looking for the volt to be a reliable control fairway driver but it sounds like a finesse distance driver that can't be trusted in the wind :\

All this talk of low stability on the Volt is scaring me, I was looking for the volt to be a reliable control fairway driver but it sounds like a finesse distance driver that can't be trusted in the wind :\
How far do you throw? And what type of disc is your slightly-beefy slightly-workable driver in fairway and distance range?

For me, the Volt flies exactly like you described the desirable flight, and I throw low-mid 300s with a heavy 1.1 QOLF as my beefy-worker fairway/distance disc. Neither the Volt or a heavy QOLF will flip for me on a clean throw into a moderate headwind.

The "normal" people who threw it yesterday at Disc Nation were getting flights you'd want from a "reliable control fairway driver". The guys who were getting turn from it (which comes very late btw) can throw Rocs 400'+ and *OLFs around 500'+ on a flat measured field. Also the wind quotient on the driving range is greater than you'd find on most courses, so they were testing with above-average wind.

Last edited:
How far do you throw? And what type of disc is your slightly-beefy slightly-workable driver in fairway and distance range?

For me, the Volt flies exactly like you described the desirable flight, and I throw low-mid 300s with a heavy 1.1 QOLF as my beefy-worker fairway/distance disc. Neither the Volt or a heavy QOLF will flip for me on a clean throw into a moderate headwind.

The "normal" people who threw it yesterday at Disc Nation were getting flights you'd want from a "reliable control fairway driver". The guys who were getting turn from it (which comes very late btw) can throw Rocs 400'+ and *OLFs around 500'+ on a flat measured field. Also the wind quotient on the driving range is greater than you'd find on most courses, so they were testing with above-average wind.

Your arm sound about like mine ZAM. Is it possible to get turn out of the Volt when released flat, I don't mind if it fades back, but I really like my fairway drivers to turn a little. My home course really favors it.

Your arm sound about like mine ZAM. Is it possible to get turn out of the Volt when released flat, I don't mind if it fades back, but I really like my fairway drivers to turn a little. My home course really favors it.
I think it'd do what you're asking. As an OLF thrower my preference is to flip up from shallow hyzer for a straight line, rather than trying to throw flat. I've thrown 171-175g Volts so far, and I'd be looking to bag a 168g (currently listed as the lightest available) for my workhorse. With my LFs, mid-to-high 160s is what I can put some ass on to make it turn a little OR throw smooth for a stable-to-overstable glidey line, and then 172-175 takes a little headwind OR an ungraceful monkey-arming to get a "little turn from shallow hyzer" flight like the main 167ish one. The Volt acted the same... I could see it turn just a little bit with headwind or a real huck.

Right now I'd wanna bag a worn 168g for QJ stuff, fresh-ish 168g for QJ/straight-OLF, and a 172+ for stable-to-overstable OLF.

Latest posts